Unclassified Review

artist: robert randolph and the family band date: 06/14/2004 category: compact discs
robert randolph and the family band: Unclassified
Released: August 5, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Blues-Rock, Boogie Rock, Jam Bands
Unclassified is truly awesome and inspiring.
 9.3
 8.7
 9.9
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Unclassified Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2004

Sound: The best way to describe Robert Randolph's sound while still giving them their credit would be that I can't really desribe it. RRFB is like nothing you have heard before, I know that is kind of a cliche but it is 100% true. If I had to compare them to some other artists I would say its Sly Stone meets Ray Charles meets Steely Dan with some southern gospel and almost Hendrixian attitude and flavor mixed in. Lead singer Robert Randolph's steel pedal guitar playing is powerful and emotional. Bassist Danyel Morgan provides and sound both soulful and funky. RRFB's fusion of rock, blues, soul, funk, and gospel is totally creative, and extremely refreshing. // 10

Lyrics: Robert Randolph is a true rock star, and a truely excellent singer. He has great range from screaming in "Good Times" to his R&B styled "Soul Refreshing". His voice fits perfectly with the band and the result is amazing. RRFB's lyrics are subtle, and certainly nothing too inovative. Perhaps their most creative line from "Going In The Right Directions" goes like this, "You better get right, or your gonna get left". I hope RR expands more on his lyrics in future recordings. Perhaps my main complaint about the album is the overuse of bassist Danyel Morgan screechy, high pitched backups where he only repeats what Robert Randolph says. It fits well in their song "I Need More Love", but it is a little overused through out the album. // 6

Overall Impression: I can not remember any album I have ever purchased before that I have enjoyed as much as Unclassified. It is totally inspiring from beginning to end. I wouldn't be giving them it's due to compare it to other albums. If it were stolen or lost I would re-purchase it an infinite amount of times. I urge any one with good taste to go buy this album, if anything it will make you wanna dance a funky jig. Robert Randolph for Prez! // 10

More Robert Randolph And The Family Band reviews rating latest review