Rodrigo Y Gabriela Review

artist: rodrigo y gabriela date: 10/27/2006 category: compact discs
rodrigo y gabriela: Rodrigo Y Gabriela
Release Date: Feb 19, 2006
Label: Rubyworks
Genres: Instrumental Rock, Guitar Virtuoso, Tango, Son, Mexican Folk, Contemporary Flamenco, Finger-Picked Guitar, Gypsy, Flamenco, Classical Guitar
This music is the sound of passion as interpreted by and spokern for in a new rock and roll language.
 9.7
 9.4
review (1) 15 comments vote for this album:
Rodrigo Y Gabriela Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 27, 2006

Sound: Unbelievably I appear to be the first to write about these people. Basically, it's a bloke and a girl from Mexico City who used to be metal heads of some sort, but sold all their gear and bought some acoustics. What a career move! What is contained in this album can only be described as a high octane fusion of latino rhythms, folk and metal. Everything rolls along at a rollocking pace and it just leaves you breathless. Mostly the stuff on the album is their own, but their metal roots show through with covers of 'Stairway' and Metallica's 'Orion' which even my brother (a die hard Metallica junkie) admits is hot. Keep an eye out for them, at the time of writing they are in the middle of a tour of Britain, and will be heading across the pond by the end of the year. // 10

Lyrics: This is a wholly instrumental album so I'll say a thing or two about the way they play here instead. It's unlike anything I've heard before, a melting pot of just about everything you can legally do to a guitar to get a sound out of it. They both play guitar, and the technique and speed is astounding. If you get the album, there's a note in it somewhere that says all the percussive sounds is them and there guitars, nothing else, even though at times it sounds like they've got an army of drummers with them. The odd bit of fiddling and slide guitar pops in from time to time further enhancing their sonic spectrum, though it seems mindblowing that in the main it is just two guitars. // 10

Overall Impression: Of the nine songs on the album, my personal favourites are 'Orion' and 'Tamacun' which opens the album and pretty much sets the scene for the most stunning audio journey of your lifetime. I can't think of anything about this album that I don't like (though admittedly it does seem to be rather pricey, everywhere I've seen it it's been at least 12 of our British pounds, but well worth it). It didn't leave my CD player for about 10 days after I got it it is that hot. This is by far the best album of the last 10 years at least. I know I sound like I'm on their payroll giving them a clean sweep of 10s and raving about them, but believe me, this is an album you'll never believe you lived without! // 10

More Rodrigo Y Gabriela reviews rating latest review