Amused To Death Review

roger waters: Amused To Death
Release Date: Sep 1, 1992
Label: Columbia
Genres: Album Rock, Prog-Rock/Art Rock
Amused to Death is a solid album both conceptually and musically, showcasing Waters as an artist who, like his work with Pink Floyd, conveys his thoughts and ideals with pinpoint accuracy so that they are engraved within his audience's mind.
 9.7
 9.3
Amused To Death Reviewed by: The_lizard_king, on october 20, 2007

Sound: The sound overall was really well done, I do believe it was recorded with quadrophonic sound so it sounds fantastic on a good system, where Pros and cons of hitch-hiking was recorded as holophonics which is meant for headphones. Jeff Beck played guitar on this album, very good work on it. I never really got into Jeff Beck, but he helps bring Waters' album to life here. Don Henley guest vocals on "Watching TV" and Flea recorded an upbeat bass line for the title track but never used (not really relevant but good trivia though nonetheless). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very political but they aren't generic because he targets specific issues and like tieneman square on tv, George Bush, and Andrew Lloyd weber. They flow well with the concept of the album, which is a monkey watching TV which is a metaphor meaning we're the monkey and the world is the TV. Roger's voice was ok, like his voice sounded a little pained but adds to the album and he can still hit those high notes for example "Too much rope". // 10

Overall Impression: This album is better than "Radio KAOS" and I think it's as good as "Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking" and on par with "The final cut". I liked the "What god wants" tracks, "Too much rope", "Watching TV", "Bravery of being out of range". Hell, The whole album stands out really well. I really cherish this album because, I spent many long bus rides home from school listening to this awesome album. I got for Christmas and I didn't really care for it at first but than I saw a video from the album and I was like I'll give this album a shot. I did and I'm glad I popped it in my CD player. If it were stolen or lost I'd get a new copy. // 10

Amused To Death Reviewed by: The_lizard_king, on november 01, 2007

Sound: The quality of the sound was excellent, as the album was recorded with quadraphonic sound, which is a four channel stereo system. The old album, 'Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking; was recorded as holophonics which is meant just for headphones. Jeff Beck played guitar on this album, and did an excellent job with it. I never really got into Jeff Beck, but he helps bring Waters' album to life here. Don Henley guest vocals on "Watching TV" and Flea recorded an upbeat bass line for the title track but it was unfortunately never used (not really relevant but good trivia though nonetheless). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are your far from average political songs. Specific issues are brought into the light, such as the Tienanmen Square incident, President George Bush, and Andrew Lloyd Weber. They flow well with story of the album, which is a monkey watching TV. Roger Waters uses this as a metaphor that we're the monkey and the world is the TV. Waters' voice was ok, and sounded a bit strained at times, but overall adds to the album and he can still hit those high notes for example "Too much rope". // 10

Overall Impression: This album is better than 'Radio KAOS' and I think it's as good as 'Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking' and on par with 'The Final Cut'. I liked What God Wants, Too Much Rope, "Watching TV", and "Bravery Of Being Out Of Range". In fact, the whole album stands out really well. I really cherish this album because I spent many long bus rides home from school listening to this awesome album. I got it for Christmas and I didn't really care for it at first but than I saw a video from the album and I was like I'll give this album a shot! Well, I did and I'm glad I popped it in my CD player. If it were stolen or lost I'd get a new copy. // 10

More Roger Waters reviews rating latest review