A Bigger Bang Review

Released: Sep 6, 2005
Label: Virgin
Genre: Rock
Styles: Rock & Roll, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock
It should come as no surprise that it took sex, disease and death to shake the Rolling Stones out of their latest creative dry spell.
 Lyrics: 8.4
 8.6
 8.2
A Bigger Bang Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2005

Sound: This album has the classic Rolling Stones sound, but there is a lot of diversity since there are not only rockers and ballads but also blues numbers (Back Of My Hand) and dance numbers (Rain Fall Down). If you listen to this album loudly, then you see how great the production is. // 10

Lyrics: You can't expect a 62-year-old to write amazing lyrics, but all lyrics are in compliance with the music. The slow tracks like Streets Of Love and Laugh I Nearly Died have more meaningful lyrics compared to the rockers. Mick Jagger still delivers his words with an enviable passion. // 6

Overall Impression: The main problem in this album, is that there are too many tracks. Songs like Dangerous Beauty and Look What The Cat Dragged In could have been B-Sides. Other than that, this is a satisfying Stones album, full of groove and style. It may not change the course of music but it will certainly please the band's fans. // 8

A Bigger Bang Reviewed by: Four Symbols, on january 04, 2006

Sound: From the start of the CD with "Rough Justice" I could tell that this would be a return to the Stone's classic sound. The Mixing was done very well--every instrument/vocal is clear and well recorded. This is by far a blues dominated album ("Back Of My Hand" stood out personally for me as a heavily blues oriented song). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics impressed me well. Mick gets the emotion/idea of the song across in a simple manner that works. His voice seems to be just as good as in the past, and Richard's vocals are rather good when the appear, especially on songs such as "Infamy." // 9

Overall Impression: I think that the Stones did a great job of holding up their classic sound while adding a new twist on a few tracks. It a hard thing for a band to record an album that can stand up in sound and impression to their past classics. For me the tracks "Rough Justice," "It Won't Take Long," "Rain Fall Down," "Streets Of Love," "Back Of My Hand," "Oh No Not You Again" and "Infamy" stood out. Personally, I like this album for its deep blues influence. The Stones recorded an album that can compare with all their previous classics. If this was stolen, I'd buy it again. // 9

A Bigger Bang Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2005

Sound: This is a return back to the Stones of the '70s - hard rock, blues, funk, you name it. Crunchy guitars and thunderous drums. Every instrument can be heard clearly in the mix and everything sounds perfect. // 10

Lyrics: Mick Jagger once again delivers a winner. I have always considered him to be a great rock lyric writer and this album is no exception. Everything from heartfelt lyrics to raunchy lyrics. In the tune 'Rough Justice' he sings "Once upon a time you were my little rooster, but am I just one of your cocks?" // 10

Overall Impression: This is a true return to form after mediocre albums in the '80s and '90s. People are gonna love this one, it's The Stones that you know and love. And don't worry about the guitars, they are more dominant than they have been in a while. // 10

A Bigger Bang Reviewed by: Alander, on september 13, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is great. Nothing gets drowned out. Mick's voice is a good as it's ever been, the guitars are great. Keith's lead vocals were very good as well. I enjoy the drums alot, and the slide guitar is amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lryics on this album were decent. Some of it got repetetive, it seems like they were all about being old and losing the fire in the realationship, which is expected since they're all in their early '60s. As I said before, Mick's voice is as good as it's ever been. // 8

Overall Impression: This is just a great album full of great songs from the Stones. The most impressive thing was the energy in the songs, you'd think after all these years that it wouldn't be as energetic, but it's as good as anything they've done. // 10

A Bigger Bang Reviewed by: Axe hero Gabe, on september 15, 2005

Sound: Pretty good, but the production failed to live up to their previous efforts. The vocals often sound flat and the guitar solos sound grey and unengaging. The sound works best on tracks like "Infamy" - my personal favorite on the album, Keith's vocals actually sounding better than Mick's efforts. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics on Sweet Neo Con were awesome, a step upwards from all the political "punk" (Greenday, NOFX etc.) that's been going around recently, and "She Saw Me Coming" has an awesome, shout-along chorous. There's no "Sister Morphine" or "Midnight Rambler" on this album, but generally the lyrics are pretty good. // 8

Overall Impression: Good but not great. Buy it if you've got all the RS classics, but for begginers, I recommend "40 Licks." No track on the album is bad, but none of the songs have the energy of The Stones in their '70s heyday. // 8

A Bigger Bang Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 16, 2005

Sound: Somehow the Stones draw from their primal '60s well, and serve up neat mostly clean rythms & energetic blues the envy of their grandchildren's prime! At times they actually re-scale the pinacle to replace their old flag with a shiny new one, pretenders take note. Who else has the sheer power, sophistication, raw energy, stamina of these Sphaggeti Western Olympians Of Rock? Exactly! Stand outs are power tracks Dangerous Beauty, Oh No, Not You and Over In A Minute; with Rain Fall Down and Laugh, I Nearly Died sheer delight. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are free and relatively sophisticated, subtle yet to the point, classic Jagger. The lyrics and the music are seamless on the stand out tracks. Micks on his best form since the mid '70s. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall a few filler apart (Neo Con, Driving Too Fast, Let Me Down Slow) all Mick's tracks are full bore Stones. Of Kieth's, Infamy's perhaps his best since Main Offender. // 10

A Bigger Bang Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 20, 2005

Sound: I haven't really been into the stones music before except perhaps songs like Ruby Tuesday and Brown Sugar. But first thing I said when I heard the song Rough Justice (ironicly enough the first track) was: "I must own that record" and let me tell you, this was the best impulsbuy I ever made! I can't really judge the sound compared to previous, but it sure sounds like The Rolling Stones. And it sounds like they are in shape! The record has a bit of an anti-Bush feeling on some of the songs. For example the 13th song Sweetneocon, in the first verse it says: "It's liberty for all/ cause democracy's our style/unless you are against us/Then it's prison without trial." Some might say it's very cliche, but when you hear it, it's more of a classic! The guitar is as always most amazing, simple most of the time (read all), for example on Streets Of Love, wich is a song that gives me the chills it's simply epic. Beautiful. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are for my opinion brilliant. When you read the lyrics it doesn't seem very convincing but the way mr. Jagger sings them. It doesn't get any better. Again Sweetneocon and Streets Of Love are perfect examples. It's quite a mixed record, with some true rock n' roll classics just the way The Stones can do it. Doesn't really sounds very produced, it's kind of a stripped down, no messin'round rock record. While still it has some certain classics. // 10

Overall Impression: Since it's the only Rolling Stones record I've heard, I can't really judge if it compares to other Stones records. But sure as this record is in league with Abbey Road by The Beatles, and Back In Black by AC/DC which are the best older records I can think of. It's a classic! This album is very varied and mixed 60/40 quite to rock n' roll, can't think of any faults or needs. Most impressive songs are Rough Justice, Streets Of Love, Sweetneocon and Laugh, I Nearly Died. If it got stolen I would certainly buy it again! Very good one by The Stones! // 10

More Rolling Stones reviews rating latest review