Exile On Main Street Review

rolling stones: Exile On Main Street
Released: May 12, 1972
Genre: Rock
Styles: Rock & Roll, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Pop/Rock, Album Rock
Exile on Main Street has become generally regarded as the Rolling Stones' finest album.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.5
 9.6
 9.3
Exile On Main Street Reviewed by: tomisamonkeyman, on july 01, 2006

Sound: The greatest album of all time isnt Led Zeppelin IV, Dark Side Of the Moon, Revolver, Hotel California, Who's Next, or anything like that. The greatest album my friends is none other then The Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street. Legend has it the Exile was recorded in Kieths basement. This album starts off with Rocks Off which just kicks ass all the way through. Then we gots are selfs a couple rockin blues songs that I personal am in love with, who doesnt love Rip This Joint, Shake Your Hips, and Casino Boogie. After those is the albums biggest hit Tumbling Dice which is a great song. Then we got a few good acoustic songs which are Sweet Virginia, Torn and Frayed, Sweet Black Angel, and Loving Cup. I love all four of those. Then we got Keith's shinning moment Happy. After that we got two kick ass songs that rock out Turd on the Run and Vendilater Blues. Then we have the worst song I Just Wanna See His Face. Then its Let it Loose which is another great song. Then we got two rockers All Down The Line and Stop Breakin Down. Then we got another great song Shinne a Light. Then to end the album we got one more rocker Soul Survivor. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics kick some serious ass. Rocks Off has some funny dirty lyrics, my favorite line is plug in plug out and fight and fuck and feed. Then Rip This Joint, Mick is screaming like a mad man.Other song that have good singing are Sweet Virginia, Tumbling Dice, Loving Cup, and Shine a Light. Some great lyrics are in those four plus Vendilater Blues, Let it Loose, and Rock Off. Now another reason why Exile is my favorite album is because Keith sings a lot of back up vocals and I love that. He sings great on Casino Boogie, Sweet Virginia, Torn and Frayed, Sweet Black Angel, Loving Cup, Turd on the Run, and of course Happy which he sings great lead vocals on (I still like You Got The Silver and Theif in the Night more though). And also it seems like the songs that Keith alot of back up on are the ones I like the most. // 10

Overall Impression: This albums kicks everyones ass. Mick Jagger plays harp and sings, Keith Richards sings, play bass and guitar, Mick Talyor play bass and guitar, Charlie Watts drums, Bill Wyman plays bass only on 8 tracks though. Also there are many other musicians on this album. Most songs are Jagger/Richards, ther are a few covers, and also a rare Taylor/Jagger/Richards appears on Vendilater Blues. But this albums is great and every fan of rock n roll music should have it. My personal favorites are all of them besides I Just Wanna See His Face. // 10

Exile On Main Street Reviewed by: Cobalt Blue, on august 23, 2007

Sound: From the first track 'Gimme Shelter' this album kicks some serious ass. This album is filled with bluesy soulful songs like 'Midnight Rambler' 'Monkey Man' and 'You can't Always Get What You Want' and a very cool acoustic version of Honky Tonk Woman 'Country Tonk'. Very good album all 'round pretty much every track on the album is a hit and a great Rolling Stones song. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are solid through the entire album and Mick Jagger is as good as he gets. Mick can sing softly like on 'You can't Always Get What You Want' or really belt it out like he does on 'Monkey Man' plus the vocals are mixed very well on this album unlike on Exile where I can barley make out any of the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Now this is a great Stones album, I listened to this right after listening to Exile on Main street and Let It Bleed blew it away. There's not a weak track on here. 'Midnight Rambler' and 'Monkey Man' are my favorites on the album but all the rest of the tracks are pretty great too. If this album was lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again before any other Stones album I love it, it's definitely my favorite album by the Rolling Stones. // 10

Exile On Main Street Reviewed by: 2000man, on july 27, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album was solid. No one member of the band gave an amazing performance on the album, only average. As far as certain songs, there was no real musical innovation. No songs stand out at first glance, except for the albums centerpiece, "Tumbling Dice." // 8

Lyrics: Mick's greatest album of all time, lyrically and musically, had to be Sticky Fingers. There's no arguing with that. But where does Exile fall for him? Top Five? No. Top Ten? Maybe. His performance was solid nontheless. His stand out track was either Tumbling Dice or Shine A Light. So all in all, nothing too special from Mick. // 8

Overall Impression: Liked Keith's acoustic performance on "Wild Horses" and want more? Not here. Liked Mick Taylor's outro on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" and want more? Once again, you won't find it here. In fact, all of his leads surfaced for only a few seconds throughout the album, and then fell back into the utterly chaos that is the greatest album of all time. This is without a doubt, the ugliest, dirtiest, most drunken album of all time, and I love every minute of it. I still have visions of Keith downing a bottle of Jack Daniel's in his basement, singing his heart out on "Sweet Virginia." And it is hard to picture a single track on this album that was not recorded at three in the morning in a drunken haze. At first listen, this album is nothing special. But after twenty go arounds, you can fully appreciate the masterpiece. This proves how no other band works better together like the Stones. This was the finale of the golden age of the Stones, and what a finale it was. Exile On Main Street is the only album that truely matters. // 10

More Rolling Stones reviews rating latest review