Forty Licks Review

rolling stones: Forty Licks
Released: October 1, 2002
Genre: Rock
Styles: Rock & Roll, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, British Invasion
Rolling Stones made great albums that should be in any serious rock collection.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.4
 9.5
 9.3
reviews (4) user comments vote for this album:
Forty Licks Reviewed by: canucksrule, on june 02, 2004

Sound: I think that this is one of the best greatest hits albums ever. With 40 of the Stones best songs, they certainly aren't missing any great ones. Everyone knows songs like "Can't Get No (Satisfaction)", but I discovered likings for many other songs on here, such as "Ruby Tuesday" and "Brown Sugar". The Stones are my all time favourite band, so this is one of my favourite cds. // 10

Lyrics: Many people might think that Mick Jagger isn't a very good singer, but I will have to disagree there. I love how he sings the songs, as it fits perfectly with every one of Keith Richards' guitar riffs and means something in every song. I love the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: The blues rock style is classic Rolling Stones, and it shows here. There are too many favourites to list, but my favourite four are "Start Me Up", "Can't Get No (Satisfaction)", "Jumping Jack Flash", and "You Can't Always Get What You Want". This is one of my favourite albums and I would highly recommend it to anyone just getting into the Stones. // 10

Forty Licks Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 19, 2004

Sound: I think this band's sound is great. Richards guitar riffs and licks and Jaggers singing go together great. What I like about the Stones is they have a lot of different styles like sometimes you might hear a country lick or Mick might do some harmonica to make it bluesier. This CD has a bunch of awsome songs that rang from hard core solo's like in Sympathy For The Devil or slow passionite like She's A Rainbow. // 10

Lyrics: I think Mick Jagger is a excellent singer. I love the way he sings the songs like You Can't Always Get What You Want and Start Me Up. Over all I think the lyrics go with the music. But in a couple of incidents the word just doesn't flow with the music. But overall I think the lyrics are meaningful and go good with the songs. // 8

Overall Impression: I like this album because it has so many good songs on one album. My favorite songs are Street Fighting Man, Satisfaction, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Start Me Up and Miss You. I love how it has so many good songs. If this CD were stolen or lost I would most definetly buy it again. This is a classic that you could listen to over and over again. // 10

Forty Licks Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 26, 2005

Sound: Whenever a classic rock band wants to go on tour nowadays, but don't want to make a new album, they make a 2 CD greatest hits compilation. Think about it, Van Halen, Motley Crue, and Aerosmith did it, to name a few, but that's beyond the point. The Stone's 2 CD comp is Forty Licks, forty of their greatest and most well known songs. All of the songs are remastered, soung great, but many of the songs on the 2nd disc are edited, and are much shorter than their origanal versions. Why couldn't The Stones stray from the pack and maybe make a 3 CD, 45 licks? // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are fine, same old Rolling Stones. Songs about sex, drugs, partying, etc. // 10

Overall Impression: Well, this hits complitation is pretty good, but you have to keep in mind the price - about 25 dollars. But it certainly better then Jump Back, which is missing many songs including Jumpin Jack Flash, Honkey Tonk Women, You Can't Always Get What You Want, and more. My main problem with it is the edited songs on disc 2. When I hear classic songs, I like to hear them how they were meant to be heard. Besides that, it's a fine introduction to the magic that is The Rolling Stones. // 8

Forty Licks Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 16, 2006

Sound: The music and the sound on this album is brilliant especially on the first CD; when they were at there best in my opinion and were able to blend lots of styles of music to make great music. However the second CD is not so good and by the time a lot of the songs were released, the Stones were past there best. But the songs on the first CD are fantastic and The Rolling Stones are still my favourate band and this is one of my favourate albums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to this are generelly ver good. Mick Jagger is one of the best front men ever and his singing fits perfectly with the guitar playing from Keith Richards. I especially like the way Jagger sings songs like Wild Horses, Satisfaction, Get Of My Cloud and You Can't Always Get What You Want. // 10

Overall Impression: I would seriously recommend this CD to anyone else. The first CD has loads of brilliant songs my favourates are Satisfaction, Street Fighting Man, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Under My Thumb, Get Off My Cloud, Wild Horses and Paint It Black. The second CD isn't so good but it has some great songs in Start Me Up, Brown Sugar and Angie. I love this album and if I lost it I would definatly buy it again. // 10

More Rolling Stones reviews rating latest review