Their Satanic Majesties Request Review

8.7
 7.6
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Their Satanic Majesties Request Reviewed by: FreeManson15, on august 20, 2007

Sound: The Stone are on of the most influential band of history, Satanic Majesties is thier more, for lack of a better word, pscychedelic album as apposed to their more blues influenced works. It's a great album, but it's not to be confused with The Brian Jonestown Massacre's album, Their Satanic Majesties Second Request, though the name was taken from The Stones album. Brian Jones multi instrumentalism really shows in this album, and his indian, peruvian musical influence are also quite apparent in this album. // 8

Lyrics: The Stones lyrics were never really that great, they definetly were nothing compared to Dylan, or Lennon/McCartney when it comes to songwriting. But in a few of the songs on this record there is quite decent lyricism. Songs such as "In Another Land", and "2000 light Years From Home", there's a strong psychedelic feel to the words, in fact they remind quite a lot of Syd Barrett. "Sing this all together" is the perfect opening to this album, there's another song on this album with the same name, but it sounds more like and in studio jam session, which is a good thing. Mick Jagger isn't the greatest singer but his voice fits perfectly in songs like "citadel", "She's a Rainbow", and "The Lantern". // 9

Overall Impression: This album is to The Stones, as Seargent Peppers was to The Beatles, or Piper at The Gates of Dawn was to Pink Floyd. But purely in the sense of sound and atmosphere. Songs like "2000 Light years From Home" are just mind blowing. Then there's catchy tunes like "Citadel", and "The Lantern" that you may find hard not to hum along too as you go about your day. I love this album, but I Must say I prefer The Stones more blues influenced works. If it were stolen I might buy it again, or I might just download all the songs, It just depends on my financial situation at the time. // 9

More Rolling Stones reviews rating latest review