Murderworks Review

rotten sound: Murderworks
Release Date: Feb 16, 2002
Label: Deathvomit
Genres: Grindcore
This 2002 release gives the listener no room to breathe; from start to finish, Murderworks is an exercise in sensory assault for the sake of sensory assault.
 9.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Murderworks Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 12, 2008

Sound: As soon as I heard the first song off of this psychotic, mind-splitting album, I thought that no other following song could be as brutal as what I had just heard. Yet, the track list kept going, and going, and sheer chaos was blown all around me and I still can't get over it. Each member stands out, promoting their talent through demon like growls/screams, mashed, extremely distorted packed guitar riffs, sludgy bass grooves/lines and then comes the drums. I believe this album would be nothing without the blasting/ballistic championship of a skinsman Kai Hahto. This guy is unbelievable. There are many drummers in death metal/grindcore, who think they are amazing just because they can do a gravity blast at 300 BPM, but they are just a sad gimmick. When Kai Hahto is thrown into the mix, he shows off the wall quads, sporadic time signatures, and pulverizing precision against the snare, (listen to his little drum solo in "Insane" at 1:46, and you'll see what I'm talking about). Overall, He pulls off a throat slitting barrage of drumming speed, and precise madness. // 10

Lyrics: Rotten Sound, an extremely pissed off, political hating themed band, barrels through the grindcore circuit, proving a serious genre-defying statement. Nothing stands in their way with such an album as this. You're either slaughtered in a matter of seconds with songs such as "Insects" and "Suffer", or you are dragged on infected pavement for a horrific 3 minutes of blistering destruction ("Obey", and "Iq" to name a few). // 8

Overall Impression: The only problems I had with this album, were the lack of audible guitar riffs. At times, atop of the implosion of acid spitting vocals and volcanic drumming eruptions, the guitars are just a mere wave of static. With "Murderworks" (produced by the legendary Mieszko Talarczyk, R.I.P), I think it highlights the best of their career. Though, their following album "Exit" is even better in my standards, this album is still one hell of a grindcore dream you will never forget as soon as the play button is pressed. // 9

Comments