Release The Stars Review

artist: rufus wainwright date: 08/13/2007 category: compact discs
rufus wainwright: Release The Stars
Release Date: May 15, 2007
Label: Geffen
Genres: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative Singer/Songwriter, Chamber Pop, Singer/Songwriter
Rufus Wainwright's fifth album offers an ounce of restraint from the man that dressed up as Sir Lancelot's crossed girlfriend Lady Shallott on the cover of his last.
 7.7
 6.3
 9.1
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Release The Stars Reviewed by: alxtheexpert, on august 13, 2007

Sound: The Wainwrights are back but not with overly fantastic Loudon style. This time Rufus' album is experimental but by experimenting lightly the tracks have the tendency to sound extremly similar and makes the listener wonder wether they are listening to a different track or their CD player has jammed on repeat. The album is dedicated to his mother with which he quotes on the back of the album "...who still whispers in my ear I'm great..." which also seems to influence the listener into believing that he must be. Of course I am a great fan of Wainwright but Release the stars is sort of, well lets put it, an album with two brilliant tracks and ten fillers. As mentioned Rufus experiments with all kinds of instruments in the the tracks, especially "Do I Disappoint You" where the introduction is filled with strang almost surreal sounds that in the latter stages of the song fade away. Overall the album is pretty average for the present folk listener but it is definetly something to have in your collection. // 5

Lyrics: Very cleverly written, Wainwright has shown an immense amount of detail in his carefully laid out lyrics in most of the songs. However, some of the tracks have more, well meaningful lyrics than the sort you would be able to sing along with the third time you have heard it. His use of the choir in "Do I Disappoint You" is dotted around each bar and therefore has a very disturbing but also very good sound added with the lyrics. // 7

Overall Impression: Well I cannot compare him exactly with his parents but there is glimmers of Loudon Wainwright in his music and appearance. The best song in the album has to be "Going To A Town". He showed it first on the advert on television and for good reason, to be honest the reason why is all the other tracks are near exactly the same. I love the way Rufus has portrayed himself as a very sensetive songwriter and puts his soul into his works. I hate how Wainright has not spread out all the similar tunes out over a large number of albums. By doing this he would of had a chance of become a huge name of a folk songwriter. If my copy of Release The Stars was stolen I would probably not buy it back seeing as I have already uploaded it to itunes. // 7

Comments