Everything You See Review

8.4
 7.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Everything You See Reviewed by: syyanna, on may 03, 2013

Sound: Runrig's latest album was always going to be a hit or a miss for a lot of fans. The fourth album with new lead singer Bruce Guthro followed "Proterra" which divided opinion amongst fans. "Everything You See", it must be said, has brought new life into the sound of Runrig. There's a warmth and familiarity found within this new album. Whilst "Proterra" felt much more progressive in style, often cold at times "Everything You See" is ray of sunshine to listen to. With songs like "Year Of The Flood", and "Clash Of The Ash", it's clear Runrig had a lot of fun making this album. And keeping with tradition the album has two Gaelic songs on it. The first "Sona" was quite unimpressive and felt quite recycled. The second, "An Dealachadh", is enjoyable but again, feels a lot like something we've heard before. The best song on the album is by far "In Scandanavia" in which a haunting acoustic and vocal melody builds up to a sensational electric solo. All in all it's a new sound from Runrig that brightens up the day. While not perfect, it's certainly one of their best albums to date and certainly quite memorable. // 8

Lyrics: I'm quite mixed on the lyrics. Runrig have always been a band who like to keep the lyrics simple and to the point. Their more poetic side always shines out in the Gaelic songs. This album to me was an album of warmth and the lyrics, though not complex, get to the point. "An Dealachadh" is well written for a Gaelic song although the sound isn't too original. The most impressive lyrics by far are from "Road Trip" which bring you to the heart of the song with gusto: Similarly "In Scandanavia" evokes old memories and touch into the nostalgic feeling that you often get listening to Runrig. And though lyrically it's not Runrig's most impressive body of work, it still gets the job done and doesn't detract from songs at all. // 7

Overall Impression: It's good to see that after all this time Runrig are still submitting quality music to their fans. The spark of life is not gone yet. It's clear to me that they still thoroughly enjoy what they do and are still striving to develop new sounds whilst endeavouring to perfect the already tried and tested. I can only hope that Runrig won't be retiring anytime soon. I would love to see what they could do with another album. Bruce Guthro has certainly come into his own and by all rights comparison with Donnie Munro are now fruitess. They both brought their own sounds to Runrig and can no longer be compared. I look forward to what Bruce will bring next. This album is a golden sunset. Enjoy it in the evening with a glass of whiskey and some good company and you won't be disappointed.

// 8

More Runrig reviews rating latest review
+ Proterra 7.5 05/20/2013