2112 Review

rush: 2112
Released: Mar 1976
Genre: Rock
Styles: Album Rock, Hard Rock, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Arena Rock
2112 is widely considered by Rush fans as their first true "classic" album, the first in a string of similarly high-quality albums.
 9.7
 9.3
2112 Reviewed by: BucketheadRules, on february 03, 2005

Sound: Rush is my favorite band, and 2112 doesn't disappoint. Geddy and Neil are the best at what they do, and Alex is also amazing. Probably anyone's favorite song on here is 2112, a full 20 minutes and 34 seconds of pure rock n roll. The most interesting part about it is the stroy behind the title track. Basically, it's a story about a man living in a future, utopian society run by the priests of the Temples Of Syrinx. The man finds a guitar and shows it to the priests and they tell him it's a waste of time and smash the guitar. he has a dream in which the elder race of men come back and tear the temples down and take over Megadon City. upon realizing this is just a dream, he realizes he cannot carry on such a cold and empty life, so he kills himself. Sad. I always say that Rush is at their best when doing instrumentals, and the overture and grand finale are no exceptions. Something For Nothing and A Passage To Bangkok are pretty good, but the Twilight Zone is kind of boring. // 10

Lyrics: I have always liked Neil's lyrics and these are some of his best. There is wisdom in Soemthing For Nothing and an excellent story in 2112. It's more difficult to write songs from stories that have already been written than it looks, and Neil pulls it off. Strangely, Alex wrote "Lessons" and Geddy wrote "Tears." Geddy is an amazing singer! He gets so high, especially on the Temples Of Syrinx part of 2112. // 10

Overall Impression: 2112 ranks among the top rock albums of all time. It was the make-or-break 4th album for Rush, and one of their best. 2112 is obviously the most impressive song on the album. But I don't like the "Discovery" part. If it were stolen, I'd hunt down the person that stole it and rip his balls off! // 10

2112 Reviewed by: Modernmusich8er, on april 17, 2006

Sound: The sound quality of this album is phenomenal. Instead of lyrics about women and drugs, Rush approches with very deep lyrics that often involve science fiction, and the discovery of new things. In the nearly 22 minute long song "2112" that is broken up into seven sections, you listen too it often for the great music, and many other times for the deep storytelling in the song. People often criticise Alex Lifeson for never crazy solos like Eddie Van Halen or Jimmy Page. Listen to the section of "2112" called "Presentation", then see if your opinion is swayed. Alex also has a way of transforming a normal set of power chords into something that sounds like it is a complex riff. In my opinion he is one of the best guitarists in rock n roll history. Great album, hands down, it's my favorite Rush album, Hemispheres is next after that. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in "2112" are among some of the most deep and thought provoking lyrics of any rock album I've ever heard. Once again, listen to the epic "2112" and you will be blown away by the phenomenal music and amazing lyrics. While songs like "A Passage To Bangkok" aren't as great of lyrics as "2112" or "Lessons" the album is great and stands up as one of rock n roll's best lyrical album's of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is great and if it were broken, I would go buy another one the second I found out. If it were stolen, I would hunt the person down that took it. If you are a fan of Rush, or classic rock in general you need this album. Please buy it legally, this album doesn't deserve to be file shared. The best song on the album is easily "2112," but this isn't taking anything away from any other songs on the album, because they are great too. This album set a huge bar for Rush to outdo themselves, while "Moving Pictures" or "Permanent Waves" were their most commercially successful albums, "2112" is their best album by far in my opinion. // 10

2112 Reviewed by: TheLlamaMan, on june 16, 2009

Sound: 2112 is Rush's fourth studio album, and in my opinion the best. The album starts off with the twenty minute epic title track "2112" which takes up the entire first side of the album. This song is the main focus of the album, and despite its length it never gets boring for a second. The song is jam pack full of guitar solos, crazy riffs, strange time signatures, crazy screeching, and pretty much any thing else you would expect in a Rush song. The rest of the songs on the album are also great, and help make the album the masterpiece that it is. Like usual, Geddy Lee's bass playing is outstanding and doesn't sound like just another instrument supporting the guitar, but a full instrument of its own, like it should be. Alex Lifeson's guitar playing is also amazing, he is not just limited to playing crazy and complex guitar solos, but he does a great job when he's playing rhythm or when he's supporting something else going on in the song. Finally, Neil Peart's drumming is nearly flawless. He's able to throw in some crazy drum fills when he needs to while at the same time able to keep complicated beats that are still easy to listen to and enjoyable. Overall this is pretty much Rush at their best, the sound on this album is nearly flawless and you'll be coming back for more if you're a Rush fan. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album, mostly written by Neil Peart, are mainly based around science fiction, but are interesting to listen to and actually contain messages and symbolism if you think about them enough. On vocals, Geddy Lee returns with his signature high pitch singing. Although at first his voice might drive you away from listening to Rush, give him some time and eventually he'll seem like any other singer to you. His voice fits perfectly with the style of the music and actually makes it more enjoyable after a while, despite what you might think at first. Overall, lyrics are great and so are the vocals if you like Geddy's voice. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is one of the, if not THE best Rush album out there. The most obvious track you should listen to is "2112", but there are tons of other great songs. If you're in the mood for something soft, check out "Tears", or if you just want an upbeat rock song listen to "A Passage to Bangkok" or "Something for Nothing". If you're a fan of any style of rock, you're going to at least want to check out this album. If this album was stolen from me, or if I lost it, I'd go out and buy another for sure. This album might change your entire outlook on what is possible with rock, and if you don't believe me just check out "2112". One of the greatest albums ever. // 10

2112 Reviewed by: dieiervonstn, on march 03, 2005

Sound: Rush is one of my top 5 bands. Every person in this band is a genius musician. Geddy Lee, the bassist, synthesizerist, and vocalist; Alex Lifeson, guitarist; and Neil Peart, the goddamn best drummer ever. Plus Peart writes the lyrics. Great band. '2112' is a song about the future of mankind, and how were actually devolving. This is one of Rush's first CDs, and personally I think it's their best. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics. Wow, the lyrics. Neil Peart is the best drummer ever. Not only that, he is one of the top 5 lyricists ever. His lyrics for the song '2112' were inspired by Ayn Rand and her book 'Anthem', a story about the future. 'A Passage To Bangkok' is a song about the Middle East and going to each one. This is probably my favorite song vocally because Lee's voice melds with the music flawlessly. Geddy's voice and Neil's lyrics are the perfect mates to one another. // 10

Overall Impression: Rush compares to no one, but is the influence for countless bands. And they are one of the longest running bands, keeping the same members. They've had one member change in their history, and that was from the frist self titled CD to the second CD. John Rutsey was the original drummer, but was only on one CD. I'm glad they got Neil. Rush wouldn't be the same without him. They wouldn't be the same without any of their members, and they know that. This CD rocks, and I'd buy it again countless times to listen to it over and over. One of the greatest recordings ever. // 10

2112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 14, 2005

Sound: This album is amazing. Nothing short from my favorite band that isn't a metal band. If you want a definition of progressive rock, Rush is the way to go. Every instrument is dependant on for the song. If you were to take out any element of the band, it wouldn't work. Each instrument plays a huge part in almost every song. // 10

Lyrics: Definately excellent lyrics. Neil is an excellent lyric writer. Same goes for the rest of the band. Geddy Lee's voice is simply amazing and very hard to recreate. It's really high and amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: If this CD was stolen or lost, I would re-buy it definately. This is some of Rush's greatest material. // 10

2112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2005

Sound: This masterpiece sounds fantastic. Rush has a perfect mix, blend and balance of guitar, bass and drums, and the three-piece band are great musicians. Alex Lifeson, the guitarist, is brilliant, with his mega-fast shredding and clean acoustic solos. Geddy Lee, the greatest bassist ever to walk the earth, is the singer. Neil Peart, by a considerable way, the best drummer ever! Yes even better than John Bonham. // 10

Lyrics: Many of the lyrics of 2112 are very complicated, often about irrelevant things it may seem at the beginning, but in fact, the whole thing tells a beautifully portrayed story about a man who travels through time to the year 2112. He finds a guitar and learns to play it, and presents it's magic to the elders. They are angry that he has 'revolted' and smashes the guitar. What happens at the epic climax you will have to wait. Geddy Lee's high pitch wailing and beautiful voice will grow on you, I promise! // 10

Overall Impression: Rush are much more technical than many band out there, and are amazing to listen to. 2112 is all good, and I love all of it. The heavy riffs, the solos (guitar, bass and drum), the lyrics, the sound, and the story. It is one of the greatest musical accomplishments of all time. I have 3 copies of it. That's all I'm saying. // 10

2112 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 28, 2005

Sound: Rush has a very unique sound; I would describe this album as falsetto screaming. The guitarist and drummer are very, very, exceptionally skilled, with a good singer/bass player to go along with it. I've never heard anyone with quite the same sound, or with parts that mesh together as well. // 10

Lyrics: The first song on the CD, 2112, is 20 minutes long, and tells a story. It describes a future civilization that is run by dictator priests. A normal person finds a guitar, the priests confiscate it, and then he has a dream that the elder race is going to come back and restore the civilization to it's former self. He kills himself, allowing the plan to follow through. The other songs are odd, with Passage to Bangkok about a man's travels, The Twilight Zone about an odd universe, and the other three songs, Lessons, Tears, and Something for nothing, really just to showcase their talents. // 10

Overall Impression: It well matches modern music, which is a feat in and of itself as it was first released in 1976. The most impressive song is 2112, as not many bands could write a rock opera like that one. I love the fact that it sounds so unique, but the singing style is slightly annoying at first. If it were stolen/lost, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

2112 Reviewed by: dcoslo, on november 29, 2006

Sound: Rush is one of the best bands ever, my favorite. Geddy Lee, the singer, is really talented with the bass and singing. Niel Peart is one of the best drummers of all time and Alex Lifeson is Really Good. Together they play fanomanally. Niel actually tunes his trums to the bass guitar. You really have to aquire a liking to this band, with what they sing about and all of that. This story is just about the future. A lot of a space age kind of style used. // 10

Lyrics: Niel Peart is a lyric machine. He has a wierd and creative way of coming up with lyrics. Every song has it's own meaning and it is fun to listen to because of this. It is always different from everyone else. Geddy is good because he is good at singing and bass. Normally you are good at just one but not this guy. He Plays the bass pedals the rythem guitar and sings at the same time. // 10

Overall Impression: When you compare this to their other albums they are all just as good but this one is good. The era they are in durring this album was their best ever. If it was lost or stolen I would buy two so they couldnt both get stolen. And the albums aren't that ezpensive so it is easy to get a new one. I love the cover of it and I have it as my background on my phone. The only thing I would change is that on the album says "The Rush Remasters" on the side. I would change that. Niel Peart has drums down to an art and he can hit the chimes while his single bass drum and druming as smooth and quick as any other drummer out there. // 10

2112 Reviewed by: TimBFMV, on february 19, 2009

Sound: The sounds created by the band are absolutely amazing, the guitar is just so great and full of tone. And the drums completely blew me away, the drummer for Rush, in my opinion is one of the greatest drummers of all times. The story of Rush 2112 is about preists who ban music, and a boy finds a guitar, and it goes on like that, you just have to listen to it and you will be blown away. // 10

Lyrics: I think the lyrics to this album are absolutely amazing, whoever came up with the idea about rush 2112 was a complete genius, the whole thing is about a world who is run by preists in the "Temples of syrinx" and they have banned real music from the world (Music created with instruments) And they only allow computerised music. But a boy finds a guitar and it goes on. It is a really good set of lyrics. The singer is pretty amazing for the preists, they obviously can sing. // 10

Overall Impression: What I love about Rush 2112 is that it is a song that is 38 minutes long, what I hate about it is that it isnt longer. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again, This album is really uncompareable to other artists, because it is one of a kind. This album is really a must buy for a Rock lover. The story is great, and so is the music. // 10

2112 Reviewed by: Natrtatr, on january 06, 2011

Sound: I love Rush. They are one of my favorite bands and 2112 is one of my favorite albums by them. They have the mind boggling complexity and technique, Neil Peart is THE BEST DRUMMER EVER and a great lyricsist, Geddy Lee is an amazing bassist and yes his singing is different and probably not something everyone likes or is accustomed to but I think its awesome, and Alex Lifeson is a great guitar player who writes some amazing riffs. It has complex musicianship and a hard rock guitar playing with loud awesome solos and some nice crunch to the riffs. The story behind the song 2112 is great. It is a great Prog Rock album and I recommend it to everyone who likes Rock and think even if you don't you should still take the 39 minutes of your life to listen to this album. // 10

Lyrics: The opening song, 2112, is a story about a man who lives in a society controlled by the Priests of the Temples of Syrinx. They control everything "The words you hear, the songs you sing. The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes." A man finds a guitar and learns to play it. Its very different from what he's use to, the guitar is "A strange device...It has wires that vibrate and give music." He then presents it to the priests who end destroying this "Waste of time." He then falls into a "Fitfull sleep." and dreams of what man is doing. He sees their accomplishments and that they are planning to return "To tear the Temples down." After the dream he becomes depressed and goes to the cave where he found the guitar eventually commiting suicide. It ends with the Grand Finale a crazy 2 minutes of guitar, bass, and drums ending with "Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation...We Have Assumed Control." This is amazing lyric writing by Peart. I think it is a great story and is among my favorite "concept albums" (which it technically isn't, the other songs have nothing to do with the story of 2112) along with great albums like Pink Floyd's The Wall and The Who's Quadrophenia and Tommy. The other songs on the album are great too. Geddy Lee I think is a great singer and can some REALLLLLLLY HIGHHH notes. If high notes are what ya like than stop listening to Justin Bieber and listen to Rush. // 10

Overall Impression: Rush is one of my favorite bands ever. This album is my favorite Rush album and one of my favorite albums of all time. It opens with an epic 20 minute piece, 2112. Some people may think this is just a wee bit too long for a song. I agree that it is a long song but it is a good one. Split into 7 different parts (Overture, The Temples of Syrinx, Discovery, Presentation, Oracle: The Dream, Soliloquy, and Grand Finale) each one is amazing and has great riffs, solos, amazing instrumental skill, and a great story behind the whole song. The rest of the album has great songs as well. A Passage to Bangkok is a good song and I like the opening riff. Twilight Zone is not my favorite song by Rush and probably my least favorite on the album. Lessons is a good song along with Tears. Something For Nothing is my next favorite song on the album next to 2112. This was the album that allowed Rush to whatever they want, which thank god was not write crappy pop singles. If I lost it I would be quite upset and go out and find another copy of it and wouldn't stop until I found it. If it got stolen I would kick that little F***** Ass. If you don't have this album GO BUY IT! // 10

More Rush reviews rating latest review
+ Hold Your Fire 8.2 11/03/2013