A Farewell To Kings Review

rush: A Farewell To Kings
Release Date: Sep 1977
Label: Mercury
Genres: Album Rock, Arena Rock, Hard Rock, Prog-Rock/Art Rock
On 1977's A Farewell to Kings it quickly becomes apparent that Rush had improved their songwriting and strengthened their focus and musical approach.
 Lyrics: 9.7
A Farewell To Kings Reviewed by: Modernmusich8er, on may 02, 2006

Sound: Let me say first that if you are a Rush fan this is a must have. This album is pure pleasure to the ears from the nice acoustic opener "A Farewell To Kings" all the way to the climatic closer of the album "Cygnus X-1, Part 1", which is continued on the next album "Hemispheres". The way Alex Lifeson makes a simple power chord riff something that sounds so much more complex than it actually is still leaves me scratching my head. Neil Peart is one of the best rock drummers of all time in my opinion and Geddy Lee is a great bassist/vocalist. The album has a great balance of long epics like "Xanadu" and "Cygnus X-1" along with soft greats like "Cinderella Man" and "Closer To The Heart". The album is a masterpiece hands down and every music fan should own a copy. // 10

Lyrics: Along wit being a phenomenal drummer Neil Peart is notorious for writing some great lyrics. "A Farewell To Kings" is no exception. With songs like "Xanadu", a song about a secret palace in the Egyptian lands and "Cygnus X-1, Part 1", a song about a dangerous black hole, Neil Peart showcases his talent for songwriting. The lyrics in this album can be summed up in one word "unbelieveable". When listening you sometimes feel like you're listening to a novel on tape with some great music included. // 10

Overall Impression: I really hate giving albums a full 10. I always try to find fault somewhere in the album. In this album I simply can't find anything bad about it. If you are a music fan you should buy this album. I own it and would gladly buy another copy of it if it slipped out of my possession. // 10

A Farewell To Kings Reviewed by: neilprocks, on june 07, 2006

Sound: This Rush album has a great sound to it. The guitar playing and awsome drumming by Neil Peart. This album Rush had more of their own sound then other albums. Lifeson had awesome guitar riffs and Peart had done some of the best drumming I've heard. Geddy had really good bass lines. This style also carried on other Rush CDs they really found a good sound for them. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this CD are genius Peart is one of the best lyricist I've heard. A few songs are have lame lyrics but more then 95% of the lyrics of creative and it fits great with the music. Most are basically generic rock lyrics and most of the songs you can tell what they are trying to say. Geddy has great high pitched as usual and sang great on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: This album dosen't compare to any other album this album is Rush's new and great style. The most impressive songs on this album are A Farewell To Kings, Closer To The Heart and Cygnus X-1. I love all of the musicianship and singing but what I hate is the song Xandu. I recomend this album to the people who love hearing high pitched singing and great musicianship. If it were stolen I would definately buy a new one. // 9

A Farewell To Kings Reviewed by: sglpdc, on february 19, 2007

Sound: The CD (or record, back then) starts off with the title track, A Farewell To Kings. There's an awesome classical intro for about a minute and a half, and then rush gets jammin'. The next song starts with a single synth note fade in, and a free time session. Xanadu, an 11 minute epic has everything from calm laid back playing to a crazy guitar solo to Geddy and Alex playing doublenecks. The song after that, Closer to the Heart, is one of Rush's best songs, even though it's less than 3 mins. Then there's Cinderella Man, which has a drastic change of sound during the solo. There's Madrigal, which has Geddy playing some weird sounding keys. it has a good feel to it, but I have to say it got quite boring. The last song is the 10 minute Cygnus X-1 part one, and the opening instrumental is sweet. It leaves you waiting for the next part, and it was smart for them to place it there. // 9

Lyrics: Once again, Neil outdoes himself with the lyrics. The two extended songs were mainly about future and past fantasy lyrics, and many die-hard Rush fans love that. A farewell to kings (I'm taking my best guess) is about overthrowing government, or not letting any one tell you what to do, somewhat like cinderella man. Closer to the heart, I'm not even going to touch that awesomeness, and madrigal, well, I'm note quite sure about that one. Oh yeah, Geddy's voice is really high on this one. If you want it higher, you should check their next album though. // 9

Overall Impression: I think the best song off of the album was Cygnus X-1 The Voyage Part One. It gives a great feeling. I'd definatley buy a new one if somebody stole it, and beat the crap out of whoever did steal it. My overall impression by this was that rush was trying to put out a great album to match the likes of 2112, not quite as good, but still a great album. // 9

More Rush reviews rating latest review
+ Hold Your Fire 8.2 11/03/2013