Vapor Trails Review

rush: Vapor Trails
Release Date: May 14, 2002
Label: Anthem/Atlantic
Genres: Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Hard Rock
Vapor Trails does an amiable job of signaling the welcomed return of Rush.
 8.4
 8.2
 8.5
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Vapor Trails Reviewed by: dognoisefile, on july 28, 2008

Sound: This album is about 6 years old now, but I just recently bought it despite the fact many people have said the sound quality is too loud. After listening through it a few times, I can find a few parts where bass, guitar or even drums were overshadowed by the loud effect of the album. But overall I enjoy the dark tone, and elements drawn from Neil Pearts journeys after the tragedies that nearly took Neil and Rush away from us forever. Very pure guitar for a Rush album, since in the past guitar has been pushed to the back burner in favor of keyboards and effects. The return of the guitar driven Rush in the 90's continuing was a welcome change. // 8

Lyrics: Geddy as usual is stunning, the lyrics are tight and meaningful and each songs lyrics match the music like a dream. Once again, Neil Pearts lyrical skills are showcased in an album that you can feel means a lot to all three. Nice touch with Alex singing backing vocals on a few songs. // 10

Overall Impression: I think it certainly matches up with the many other albums that Rush has released, and after a 6 year hiatus, this album makes it seem like they never left. A few of my personal favorite songs from the album are: One Little Victory, Ghost Rider, Peaceable Kingdom, Secret Touch, Earthshine, Sweet Miracle. I love most every song on the album, and at this point have not found anything I could say I hate. If it did happen to be stolen or lost I would without a doubt go out and buy it. // 10

Vapor Trails Reviewed by: TheLlamaMan, on july 22, 2009

Sound: Vapor Trails is Rush's seventeenth and second most recent studio album (not counting the cover album "Feedback")to date. Rush goes about things a different way this time through then before, and you won't be hearing a lot of the things you might expect from a normal Rush album, such as lots of usage of synth or even guitar solos. The albums sound is. Well. Loud. And that's not to say it's bad, but the album is certainly not as well constructed and mixed as many of their previous albums which were essentially masterpieces. Instead of becoming softer, gentler, and more mellow, generally the music on this album has done quite the opposite: picked up the pace, gotten louder, and even more distorted. Alex Lifeson's guitar is good as always, but is somewhat lacking, and is definitely not up to par with what we're used to getting from Lifeson. You also have to miss all the guitar solos that you're used to hearing Alex let out, which have almost entirely been cut in this album. On the upside however, Neil Peart and Geddy Lee's instrumentation is just as great as ever. From amazingly fast drum beats and rhythms to crazy drum fills, Neil Peart has it all here, and any drummer should check out this guy if they want to hear a real pro. Likewise, Geddy Lee's bass playing is still great and a dominant feature in the music as we expect. The bass isn't simple, and is loud and complicated enough to really grab the listeners attention throughout the songs. The balance of the band is off, and almost every song on the album sounds similar in one way or another. So, over all, the musicians are great, there's no doubt about it, but this is clearly not their best work. It's decent, but not spectacular. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album for the most part are very deep, personal, and emotional. Neil Peart has once again shown himself as a talented lyricist and for the most part they are great. From "Ghost Rider" about Neil dealing with the recent losses of his daughter and wife to "Peaceable Kingdom", a song relating to the events of September 11th. For vocals, it seems obvious to anyone familiar with Geddy's voice that it has matured quite a bit, and no longer seems to be limited to the shrieking label that seems to be stuck to him. He shows on this album that he can also still sing clearly, and doesn't always reach up into a super high octave to achieve his fullest singing potential. The lyrics and vocals on this album, in my opinion, is the highlight of the album. // 8

Overall Impression: When I first bought this album and put it in the CD player, I couldn't help but feel disappointed. The music? It was good. But it wasn't Rush. This album really felt like a different band, not in the sound of the instruments, but in how they were played and the structure of the songs. Some of the better songs on this album for me are "The Stars Look Down" and "Sweet Miracle". To be brutally honest, this is my least favourite Rush album. That's not saying it's awful, I still think it's great, it's just nowhere near what you're going to expect. So, if you're a Rush fan and have heard all their other stuff, pick it up. You might not like it THAT much, but it's worth a listen if you're a fan. If you've never heard any Rush before, try something else, like "2112", "Moving Pictures", or "Hemispheres". Overall, I was dissapointed by this as a Rush album, but somewhat impressed by it as a album in general. // 6

More Rush reviews rating latest review
+ Hold Your Fire 8.2 11/03/2013