Every Six Seconds Review

4.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Every Six Seconds Reviewed by: jjhand, on july 17, 2009

Sound: From the start, Saliva had a crunchy rock/metal sound with bluesy Southern Rock influenced riffs and solos. The tight lead and rhythm guitar playing sounded crisp and well planned, the drums were very well done, and Josey Scott could sing well and also rapped some lyrics which gave songs an interesting sound. The various guitar effects and first few solos by Wayne Swinny allowed some room for improvement in further releases, but was done well at the same time. This album also introduced some of their best known singles "Click Click Boom" and "Your Disease". "Click Click Boom" and the song "Superstar" were also used in the highly successful Vin Diesel film "The Fast and the Furious", which undoubtedly introduced even more fans to Saliva's grinding riffs. // 10

Lyrics: Overall, the lyrics were fairly good. The radio single "Click Click Boom" was written about music and aspiring to make it big in the business when younger. I liked the lyrics: "What the hell is wrong with me? My mom and dad weren't perfect But still you don't hear no cryin' ass bitchin' from me Like there seems to be on everybody's CD" This just points out all the rock wanna-be's that rant and rave about their poor childhood in their music and make it into a popularity contest on rock radio. Totally agree with that Josey, the posers in the rock music that write music like that just suck! Alot of the lyrics were about good times and pitfalls in relationships as well, like the prechorus/chorus to "Lackluster". "I wish that we'd never gone this far. And I wish I could take it away and celebrate how wrong you are. And no one can make me feel like you. And no one can thrill me like you do." // 8

Overall Impression: I believe that it was a good quality record by Saliva and indicated that the band has great talents and real staying power in the music business. Bob Marlette mixed the guitars well, giving the band a beefy distortion very different from all the other nu metal bands at the time that sounded about the same playing Mesa Triple Rectifiers. Their most impressive songs were: "Lackluster" - Good lyrics and great soloing by Wayne Swinny. "Your Disease" - Nice lyrics, great drum part, nice harmony & chord progressions despite not having a solo. "Musta Been Wrong" - Simple Rhythm and lyrics, but great lead guitar and solo! "After Me" - Great solo, intersting lyrics about opression and difficulty while fighting for ones beliefs. // 8

More Saliva reviews rating latest review
+ Under Your Skin 6.8 03/22/2011