Marching to Mars Review

sammy hagar: Marching to Mars
Released: May 20, 1997
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Arena Rock, Album Rock
Marching to Mars stands out because of its immediate sound and Hagar's sense of purpose.
 9.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Marching to Mars Reviewed by: CaptainCrash, on may 26, 2004

Sound: This is a collection of music that Sammy really couldn't get away with in the ranks of Van Halen. Many of the songs are mellow, some lean almost toward a spoken word-type sond. There is a lot of blues present, such as the acoustic guitar picking in "Little White Lie", the album's opening track. While great mellow songs like Hagar's tribute to his then brand new daughter "Kama" and "Who Has the Right" are wonderfully put together, Sammy also was able to still crank out some solid rock 'n roll tunes. "Would You Do It For Free" with it's funk heavy groove, and "Salvation on Sand Hill" and it's soft mellow verses, and heavy belting choruses provide excellent support for the record, the real gems lie in the end of the album. "The Yogi's So High (I'm Stoned)" has semi-spoken word verses, before descending into a groovy rock laden chorus. A perfect mix, and overall great song to chill to. The album's glowing gem is in it's title track. "Marching To Mars" is just that, a "March". Set in cut time, one could envision a marching band playing a (rather interesting) redition of the song. Overall, the album provides a perfect mix of mellow songs, while still rocking when nessicary. Sammy also employed the help of other musicians on the record, such as Roy Rogers, Huey Lewis (on harmonica, not vocals), Bootsy Collins, Matt Sorum (playing drums on the touching "Kama"), and even a cameo visit from Ronnie Montrose (rhythim guitar on "Leaving the Warmth of the Womb"). Overall, "Marching To Mars" is a very worthwile listen for any fan of Sammy Hagar. // 8

Lyrics: Sammy Hagar quite obviously has an incredible range in his voice. Also a very powerful voice. His lyrics are no exception. Hagar was able to compile both touching and solid rock lyrics. "Kama", his tribute to his newborn daughter, is probably one of the most touching songs that Sammy has ever written. Some songs are almost spoken, making the choruses more accentuated. The most memorable lyrics occour in "The Yogi's So High (I'm Stoned)". Of course, as stated above, the albums title track is probably the shining achievement on the album. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this album remains one of my personal favorites. Sammy has always been one of my favorite rockers too. After all, I prefer him over David Lee Roth any day. "Marching to Mars" came out on the heels of the Van Halen breakup, and much of the animosity can be sensed through the music. This, however does not make it at all less memorable. I treasure this album, and I would reccomend it very highly to any Sammy Hagar fan, or even a fan of the genre in general. // 10

More Sammy Hagar reviews rating latest review