Road To Bloodshed Review

sanctity: Road To Bloodshed
Release Date: Apr 9, 2007
Label: Roadrunner
Genres: Heavy Metal, Thrash
Sanctity's debut album Road to Bloodshed is a blistering blend of technical thrash and old-school metal powered by attitude and grit.
 9.2
 9.1
 9.2
Road To Bloodshed Reviewed by: Wylde_Is_Wild, on august 16, 2007

Sound: I saw these guys on March 27th with BLS, a month before Road to Bloodshed was released. This is a band where the first song defined them. The agression, the speed, all grea beneficial factors to listening to Sanctity. The first riff of the first song, Beneath the Machine, is very powerful. The drums are amazing. The vocals are like nothing I have heard. They beat Trivium's singing, and that's who, in part, discovered them. The constant stacatto guitar playing sets a great rythym up for every song. It doesn't get old. The bass is prominent, especially in the track Laws of Reason. The drumming is the best I've heard. Jeremy London is now my favorite drummer. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics imply with the song. Beneath the Machine is about the pain of getting tatoos. It also talks about keeping them for life. Brotherhood of Destruction is about, well, basically destroying things. Road to Bloodshed is about the dark side of the path of life, like the lyrics say "Lost in Shadows, lost in fate, Dim as a road to bloodshed". Then there is Laws of Reason is about overthrowing the system. Billy Seals has a nice violin intro. The song is about the pains of life. It was originally titled Clubbing Baby Seals, because the band thought that they know what pain is like, but Roadrunner didn't like the name so they named it after a friend that they had in North Carolina. Zeppo is about escaping for normalcy. Zeppo is the name of the 4th Marx brother who rarely appeared in the films because he was normal. Beloved Killer is my personal favorite. It is about a person who is about to commit suicide because they have hurt everyone around them. The Shape of Things is about the beast over-ruling the master and becoming dominant. Flatline is an amazing song. The story is about knowing about death, and when it will come, which in this song is today. "Morning sun for the last time, warmth upon my face, chills my blood" there is also the chorus, "I hear you weep beside me, Black shrouded veil won't hide your eyes. I know my life's over Come ride the flatline". The Rift Between is about realizing that certain people can't be together. Seconds is a great song about strength and opposition. Once Again is probably the saddest song on the album, only because it is the last. This song is about reliving death. Jared has a lot of skill when singing. Keep in mind he's play guitar and jumping around while he's doing this. // 10

Overall Impression: I saw these guys live, as I mentioned earlier, and when I bought the album I was amazed how spot on these guys are live. Some songs sound exactly the same. I love the fact that they have balls. I hate the fact that there are only 12 songs. At least they are kick ass songs. Every song has a solo, and a good one at that. I've already bought 3 copies, 1 for the car, 1 for the house, and 1 not to be opened. // 10

Road To Bloodshed Reviewed by: boyan89, on april 25, 2007

Sound: The sound on this album is absolutely astoudning and overwhelmengily incredible. The guitar work on this album is just incredible in every aspect, it is pretty damn technical for a thrash metal band and this metal band is bringing back Thrash, also when Zeff Childress their lead guitarist does the solos, he is backed up by the rhythmn/guitar player Jared MacEachern who just doesn't use some simple chord during the backing, he will make up a new riff to make the backing and the solo sound incredible. The drums on this album are well nothing short of amazing his double bass beats make him one of the fastest drummers I have ever head and his slow parts are very good too. The bass is pretty good on this album but most of the time it just follows what the guitar does in most of the songwhich will get pretty annoying but overall the bass player does have a lot of skill. Soundwise if you want this band they sound just like Trivium a bit, but I find they are way thrashier than Trivium. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics well Jared makes this album worthwhile. I think most of the lyrics are about Politics, Life Itself, and some songs I couldnt really figure out the meaning of them but whatever his singing makes all the songs worthwhile. I really do like his voice it's got a really deep feel and it is a perfect voice for metal. If you are looking for a comparision I would say James Hetfield of Metallica and Matt Heafy from Trivium. // 10

Overall Impression: I am amazed, this album cannot be compared to any other artists because as I mentioned since this has a more thrashier feel Than Trivium it can't be compared to them. This is honestly one of the best debuts I've heard from people in a long while, the first time I heard this album I was like one of the best albums ever released this year well the best along with The Blackening by Machine Head but let's just wait for Metallica and Megadeth! Anyways on this album all of the songs kick complete ass. I don't hate anything about this album. I actually love everything maybe except the fact it's just a bit too short but other than that it is a metal masterpiece. If it were stolen I would beat the living shit out of the person who stole and take it back and then spit on them or I would tie them up to a chair see how awesome this album is and they should consider paying for it instead of stealing. If it were lost I would defenitely buy one or maybe two again because honestly when you guys see this album don't hesitate to pick it up. Recomended for metalheads and if you are a nancy-boy you will be scared! So pick this album up blows most of them out of the water! Can't wait to hear more of these guys, they will be one of the biggest metal bands around. // 10

Road To Bloodshed Reviewed by: korbhag, on april 26, 2007

Sound: Sanctity brought back the kind of sound metal fans have been looking for since the late '80s. In fact, Road to Bloodshed is definitely a classic Trash album but it still sound like a record from 2007. As most of the great metal bands these days, the guitar work by Jared MacEachern and Zeff Childress is pretty fast and really heavy. J=The drummer, Jeremy London, is doing a fine job, but nothing to be compared with Trivium, All That Remains or Shadows Fall drummers just to name of few. The bass player (Derek Anderson) is a big deception in the album though. Most of the time he is mainly playing 8 note-streak after another or ruining the song with too much bass sound (like in Zeppo chorus, which was way better in the demo version that was released earlier this year). Every Trivium fan should definitely get this album and even Trivium haters should give it a try, because that sound will simply blow you away from the first to the last riff of the album. // 9

Lyrics: Nothing much to say about the lyrics though. Mainly usual metal lyrics without any real meaning but, it's metal and is there really someone who cares about the lyrics when they listen to a metal record? Every song on the album gets it's catchy part but songs like Beneath the Machine, Road to Bloodshed, Billy Seals, Zeppo and Seconds could definitely go up the charts in every rock radio. The fact that the lyrics are lacking something is however helped by the overall vocals of the band. Jared will definitely be considered as one of the greatest metal singers someday and the clean vocals supporting his voice are simply amazing and always at the right spot. Not to forget the Maiden voice style that is used in a couple of song (even if they should think twice about using it sometimes). In overall, every people who are liking it when vocals range from screaming to clean will definitely be amazed by the band amazing talent in this domain. // 9

Overall Impression: If I were to compare it to another album, I would say The Crusade from Trivium, but way heavier and way trashier. It is without a doubt one of the best debut album I have heard in years and it may help that Matt Heafy got them a contract with Roadrunner and got Jason Suecoff to produce the album. I don't think I ever saw a debut album with that much money invested in it. As I said before, you have to at least listen to Zeppo, Seconds and Beneath the Machine on their Myspace account before saying that this band is crap or anything. Definitely the kind of album I was looking for since Trivium's Ascendancy and I would buy it again if anything happened to it! // 9

Road To Bloodshed Reviewed by: Mcleody, on april 25, 2007

Sound: At a first listen, you may feel that sanctity are nothing new, nothing special. But after listening to this album a few times, it grows! providing an easy listening album. However at some points there are some clear indications as to Sanctitys main influences are. For example, in the track "Seconds" the intro riff sounds like a carbon-copy of AX7's Unholy Confessions, and the "Zeppo" intro riff is just a variation of Master Of Puppets. but, if Trivium can get away with it, why can't Sanctity? An Interesting variation in the album is the use of a piano in the song "Brotherhood of Destruction." // 7

Lyrics: A General impression of the lyrics here is that these are your typical metal lyrics, with talks of violence, pain and suffering, at some points you could argue that these are "cheese metal" lyrics, but these are hid by the blasting guitar riffs. An interesting song subject si in the 1st track "Beneath The Machine", where it describes getting a tattoo? // 7

Overall Impression: Sancitys debut effort Road To Bloodshed provides easy-metal-listening. It doesn't exactly leave parts fo their songs stuck in your head, apart from some of the lyrics for the chorus's (See 'Beneath The Machine' and 'Zeppo') worth buying, don't get too hyped up about this band in the future I see this band being hudge! // 8

Comments