In Search Of Solid Ground Review

saosin: In Search Of Solid Ground
Released: Sep 8, 2009
Genre: Post-Hardcore, Alternative Rock
Label: Virgin
In Search of Solid Ground is the second studio album by American rock band Saosin released on September 8, 2009.
 Lyrics: 6.3
 7.2
 6.3
 8.1
In Search Of Solid Ground Reviewed by: Kwyjibo2006, on september 11, 2009

Sound: It's been three long years since Saosin released their amazing self-titled album back in 2006, and the wait is finally over. The California quintet return with "In Search of Solid Ground", with over 13 songs clocking in at almost an hour. With this release, the band used over five producers, including Butch Walker (Marvelous 3), and shows that Saosin have kept their original post-hardcore sound, while expanding their horizons at the same time. Some tracks showcase the band exactly as they always were, like the tracks "On My Own" and "Is This Real". Other songs like "I Keep My Secrets Safe" even sound like a screamo version of old U2 mixed with Coheed and Cambria. While sticking to their original sound throughout "In Search of Solid Ground", the only track that may shock a few fans is the album's closer, the eight-minute long love song/power ballad with some of the best bass and drums featured on the record. Overall, this is Saosin trying to broaden their horizons, and it's working. // 9

Lyrics: Cove Reber once again outdoes himself on "In Search of Solid Ground", with his amazing vocal range adding more depth to all the songs on the record. He has the ability to write and sing perfectly with the mood of the song. While each song has it's moments, the best singing and lyrics are without a doubt during "The Alarming Sound of A Still Small Voice", where Cove reaches deep and sings "Why don't you wake up?" with the most emotion heard from any band of their style in years. The soaring melodies mixed in with the guitars make Cove Reber's performance on "In Search of Solid Ground" a strong contender for the best vocal performance of the year. // 9

Overall Impression: Saosin have created the perfect album to follow their self-titled back in 2006. They've shed a bit of their angst, and picked up a ton of rock influences in the last three years which will keep the old fans begging for more and will gain Saosin a ton of new fans. While it may not be better than "Saosin", it's definately its equal and is right up their on the list of best albums of 2009. // 9

In Search Of Solid Ground Reviewed by: hopespaul, on september 11, 2009

Sound: Saosin didn't break any ground with this one, but they have definitely have a solid sound by now. Saosin fans know what to expect from their albums, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how you see things. I see it as a bad thing, but Saosin does a bad thing better than most. In Search of Solid Ground has an excellent opening track that immediately caught my attention with a melodic driving riff, which reminded me to listen to "On Letting Go" by Circa Survive. However, the following tracks became very diluted, and at times i felt like I'm listening to Fuse TV or TRL. Guitar work in In Search of Solid Sound didn't dissappoint me because i didn't expect anything, not that there's anything good about that. I didn't notice anything special about this album; it is just another release that will go forgotten in this music scene that we live in. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are the standard fare of the genre. As much as I am reluctant to use the word "emo" in my language, I feel like i might just give up my pride and do it for this review. "I never thought i'd let you down/I'm sorry that i let you drown/...can i make it on my own/will i ever feel my limbs again/am i losing my mind". You get the idea. // 5

Overall Impression: This album works as background music, but if you want to listen to real music in this genre, consider uploading some circa survive back into your ipod, or shuffle through your old cd's if that's how you roll. the thing that i actually like about this album is that is fairly coherent. However, i lose interest as soon as the break during "On My Own" hits, which is only the fifth track on the cd. "I keep my secrets safe" is the best track on the album, and if you like the same music as me, you will end up listening to the first five tracks of this album. Some of the stuff that comes later in the album reminds me of Beloved, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, and other bands that border the "Alternative Rock" genre, or even Against Me. No dice. // 5

In Search Of Solid Ground Reviewed by: cocksmoker, on september 14, 2009

Sound: Saosin had me waiting with bated breath from the moment I heard Keep Secrets off of The Grey EP and I hate to say it, but I was truly let down. I was under the impression that the band Saosin had finally found a perfect communion between the tastefulness of the Cove Reber era and the attitude of the Anthony Green era. Upon hearing a revised version of "Keep Secrets" on "In Search Of Solid Ground" (now called "I Keep My Secrets Safe") my faith started to wane and continued to do so as the album progressed. Saosin captivated me with their first CD (Self-Titled) by their ability to be incredibly catchy while still playing heavy and interesting guitar lines. Needless to say, Rodriguez is one of the best drummers of his generation and Cove's vocal lines left nothing to be desired. On "In Search Of Solid Ground" all of these attributes were more or less forgotten in Saosin's desperate attempt to break out into the mainstream radio genre. Power chords and chunky palm muting were substituted for the creative guitar lines that I once loved Saosin for. Interesting song structures were replaced with boring 90's power pop style choruses. Any fans that still had hope in Saosin after Anthony Green left are going to surely find other music to listen to after they hear this CD. In other words, the band went in exactly the direction that I didn't want them to go in. // 5

Lyrics: Cove has a very unique voice because he has unbelievable power along with a huge range. He really shows his talent in the high vocal ranges because he doesn't lose any of his tone or volume. In other words, the sound of his voice hasn't fallen short of my expectations and he truly puts other vocalists to shame. However, his melodies and lyrics are just pathetic. I expected more from one of the most popular post-hardcore bands on the scene. The songs all start sounding the same after track two and they just get worse from there. Saosin's attempt to become a mainstream band has backfired and they are going to lose more fans than they make with this CD. // 5

Overall Impression: I hate the fact that Saosin has finally fallen victim to the mainstream media that dominates the music scene. "In Search Of Solid Ground" does not have any tracks that make me REALLY want to listen to it more than a few times. I'll stick to the self-titled CD and Anthony Green era Saosin and hope to God that they revert back to their old style on their next CD. // 4

More Saosin reviews rating latest review
+ Translating The Name 9.8 12/02/2008