Translating The Name Review

saosin: Translating The Name
Released: Jan 20, 2004
Label: Death Do Us Part
Genre: Rock
Saosin is offering just the soundtrack for your life with its five-song debut EP.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.8
 9.8
 9.7
Translating The Name Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 20, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album really impressed me. Saosin definatley have a lot of potential and I for one believe that it will only be a matter of time before they break out and become huge. The sound on this album as I said is great it mixes soft verses with awesome scremo choruses. The sound is what impressed me most about this CD. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are also great on this album. This is where Saosin show that they can not only make a great sounding album but they can also make a brilliant lyrical CD aswell. // 10

Overall Impression: I haven't heard any of Saosins other stuff. But I can tell you that it will be hard for Saosin to top "Translating The Name." The best tracks on the album in my opinion are: "Seven Years" and "3rd Measurement in C." What impressed me most about this CD was its sound and how it made me want to air guitar and drum. If this CD were lost or stolen I would definitely go through the same struggle to find it again. // 10

Translating The Name Reviewed by: Solipsism, on march 12, 2007

Sound: The first song I heard from this album was the song 'Seven Years' as I browsed through a friends my space. It hooked me instantly, from the first line, it was amazing. I then went on to purchase the EP and was equally astounded by the amazing sound and overall musicianship of this album. The vocals are crisp and soaring (they are also quite high, but that is a feature that makes them unique). The guitar is well-structured, full, expressive, quite intricate in parts and employs metal-style riffs of which are quite rare in the emo/punk genre. The drums are breath-takingly technical, in-time, expressive and creative. The drums on this EP were played by Slayer's former drum tech, and definitely elevates the overall sound. The bass does not stand out through-out the record, but upon listening, I found some interesting bass-lines and harmony ideas. Another very interesting thing about this EP is the intelligent use of harmonies, both in vocals, guitar and bass, and the harmonies between each of them. There are some subtle chordal voicings that are very rare to find within this genre of music. The overall quality of the production is excellent. It has not been produced down to a plastic sheen (such as records by Atreyu and Bullet For My Valentine) which gives it that raw, punk quality. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. Pure poetry. The singer (Anthony Green) often writes a partial storyline, but riddled with metaphors and missing pieces, leaving the listener to interpret what it may mean. Some people are annoyed by this complexity, or may claim it is just nonsensical rambling, but had the lyrics simply been a set of "I miss you, baby"s and "I love you"s, the songs would lose their magic. Anthony has given us the chance to personally interpret these lyrics. The lyrics suit the overall music and vocal melodies fantastically, each word seems to be created solely for the note it is sung with. Anthony is an amazing singer. He possesses an amazingly broad and diverse range, but usually lingers within the soprano (high pitch) area. This fits the music perfectly. As a singer, he hits all notes correctly, stays well within key and sings with confidence, conviction, urgency and expression. // 10

Overall Impression: This EP is just amazing. Saosin built up an enormous following off this one, five-track EP and generated whispers of greatness and 'the next big thing'. To achieve this with only an EP and very few live shows is a mammoth feat and gives a very clear indication of just how amazing this EP is. All the songs on this EP are superb, though I did not enjoy '3rd Measurement in C' as much as the other four. To my ears it lacked the structure and deliberateness of the others, and employed a a faster, punkier beat. I love everything about this EP. It is my favourite record ever, flawless top my ears. I do not hate anything about it. I do resent Anthony leaving the band though, as I believe the full length would have been a masterpiece if the EP was any sort of indication. If this CD was lost/stolen, I would definitely buy/download it again. I do not need to explain why, I have already explained it with great detail. Now go out and buy this CD! // 10

Translating The Name Reviewed by: xaleskx, on december 02, 2008

Sound: The bands sound is something new and impressive the singer has a high voice, the guitars have a hint of metal in them and the drummer is very technical. The singer reminds me of the guy from Coheed and Cambria and the the music is very original. The drummer is probably the best musician in the band but sadly he's not in it anymore because they only hired him for this album, they now have a new drummer Alex Rodriguez he's also pretty good. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very complex although I wish it came with a lyric book because it's kinda hard to understand him sometimes and most of the lyrics that are posted online are wrong and from what I've heard of there about the singer (Anthony Green) losing faith in god, religion or whatever. His vocal range is very high and I am pretty sure he's using his head voice and not falsetto. // 10

Overall Impression: It does not compare to anything because you just can't compare it to any other band. The most impressive songs on the album are all of them but my personal favorite is They perch on their stilts, pointing and daring me to break custom. I love everything about it. If it was stolen I would buy it again just because it's worth it and if it was lost I would look for it then give up and buy it again. // 10

Translating The Name Reviewed by: IlIk2plygUItAr, on august 22, 2006

Sound: This EP is flat out amazing, especially considering they recorded it before ever playing a show. This album is "emo/screamo," but it's far from generic. At least one of the guitarists used to be in a metal band, and you can hear the influence, although it's not straight up metal. // 10

Lyrics: Most people like the singer on this EP (Anthony Green) better than their current singer (Cove), but I don't. The vocals on this EP aren't that great. The singing is, for the most part, good, but the screaming is screechy and sometimes the singing is too. Other than that, the singing is very catchy and strong. The lyrics aren't generic emo either, and they are good and fit the music well. // 8

Overall Impression: This EP blows all others out of the water. All of the songs are equally impressive. All are very strong songs and will appeal to many people. I love almost everything about it, from the (sort of) heavy riffage to the super emo stuff. But, even though I like screaming in general, the screaming on this EP and the occasionally screetchy vocals keep it from being completely perfect. But that shouldn't keep you from buying this EP; it's simply amazing. // 9

More Saosin reviews rating latest review
+ In Search Of Solid Ground 7.2 09/14/2009