Ten Horns - Ten Diadems Review

satyricon: Ten Horns - Ten Diadems
Released: 2002
Genre: Black metal
Label: Moonfog
Ten Horns - Ten Diadems is a compilation album by the Norwegian black metal band Satyricon.
 9.7
 6.3
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
Ten Horns - Ten Diadems Reviewed by: Tad_Eats_People, on january 22, 2009

Sound: I've always though Satyricon was a great band since I heard KING on the Tv so I decided I'd have a look at some of their other music. I came across Mother North on Youtube and immediately loved them. I had a listen to some of their old "true" Black Metal music and I think they pretty much epitomise the genre with this CD. It covers the relentlessly dark sounds of Mother North, the hateful sounding vocals in Hvite Krists Dd and the more modern, polished Black Metal sounds of Repined Bastard Nation. This CD is the perfect Black Metal CD in my opinion as it works as a "best of" for the band. Serpents Rise was an interesting new track that I also thought was great. It's pretty much an instrumental with a bit of talking in the start making it sound "evil". All songs on this CD sound unique and some change general sound over the course of the track which I think is great (I.e Dominions Of Satyricon). I see it as almost a timeline of Black Metal because it has songs that sound like they come from each wave of the genre which adds to the variety. I give the sound a 10 based purely on Mother North which really is the reason I bought it in the first place. // 10

Lyrics: I don't really pay a whole hell of a lot of attention to the lyrics to be honest but of what I have read in the CD it was fitting perfectly with the genre. (That's of the songs in English but I'm sure the other ones are great too). One thing that stands out is that Satyr hasn't pulled a Dani Filth on us and changed the vocals dramatically in the years this CD covers. He managed to keep a similar sound to his voice through it all without getting boring. One thing I will slate is in Filthgrinder is "Filthgrinder, no love machine, cleaner" because to me they don't mean a whole lot but I'm sure there's something about them I'm missing. Back to my favourite, Mother North. The lyrics and vocals in this to me are just amazing combined with the music. It is just a generally dark song (music and lyrics combined) and Satyr pulls it off perfectly. Throwing in random laughs to add to the evilness. // 9

Overall Impression: If I was recommending Black Metal CDs to someone the two I would choose are this and "Dusk... And Her Embrace". They are just the two best Black Metal CDs in my opinion. They are dark and can be listened to over and over again. Also the physical package is great too. It has a bigger box with the cool black CD case with a mean symbol on the front then in the booklet thing between songs it has pictures of members of the band and some random chick in the middle (to this day I have no clue as to why that's there). Some of the pictures are from promotional things and some are unreleased. One of the best Black Metal songs ever released is on this; Mother North. If you haven't heard it then watch the video on Youtube (Which becomes awesome as soon as the guy lights the inverted crucifix by spitting fire at it) and you should see why I bought the CD. If you are into (true) Black Metal then this CD shouldn't dissappoint you. If there was anything I didn't like about this it'd be some of the intros to songs that get annoying after a while but they soon get better. I would defintaly buy this CD again if I lost it (and ever saw it somewhere again). I have it on the computer but to enjoy it you need the hard copy with the case. // 10

More Satyricon reviews rating latest review
+ Satyricon 6.5 09/10/2013