Hall Of The Mountain King Review

9.3
 9.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Hall Of The Mountain King Reviewed by: Powerageman, on april 27, 2010

Sound: Savatage's fourth studio album really combinges prog rock and power metal. The sound is incredable. The guitar has this amazing crunch to it. Criss Oliva, the guitarist, had really outdone himself on this album. His brother Jon, on lead vocals, also did an amazing job. His vocals are kinda how I'd describe as a beautiful shrieking/ growling sound. The drum work pretty good too on this album. The bass on this album does wonders too. // 9

Lyrics: The songs on this album are very prog rock/ power metal worthy: 01. 24 Hours Ago: this song is pretty good as an opener. It's really heavy, kinda fast, and the lyrics always deliver. The solo here is really outrageous (in a good way) 02. Beyond The Doors Of The Dark: more of a orog rock song here. This one is one of those song where it rises up in excitment and volume as the song proggresses. 03. Legions: this one starts out with a cool little bass solo. ANother catchy power metal meets prog rock song. "legions of the night!" 04. Strange Wings: this one could have been a single for the radio stations to get the album a bit more notice. The guitar on this song is heavy, but to the point where even a non-metal fan can listen to it. 05. Prelude To Madness: this is the first of 2 instrumentals on this album. This song is kind of a guitar interpretation of an old famous orchestra number, cant remember the name. 06. Hall Of The Mountain King: the title track, obviously. This song really stands out on this album, and is considered to be Savatage's best-known song. The solo on this song is probably on of my favorites. 07. The Price You Pay: this is the only song on the album I haven't gotten into that much (I've listened to the whole album like 20 times). It's a little catchy, but not to the point where I'd reccomend it. This is probably the low point of the album. 08. White Witch: another kinda prog meets power metal song. Though even though you'd probably think its about a witch, I think its actually about cocaine and the effects of it. YAY! 09. Last Dawn: a very short little guitar intro to the next song.... 10. Devestation: the guitar riff on this song is very memorable and it is very catchy. It's just in of those metal songs you can bang your head to. The solo is pretty good too. GOod song to end the album. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of Savatage's best albums. Probably in the top 3 for me. 01. Gutter Ballet 02. Hall Of The Mountain King 03. Power Of The Night The best songs on this album are: Strange Wings, Beyond The Doors Of The Dark, the title track, White Witch and Devestation. I really love the feel and aspect of the album. The only thing they coulda done was made the bass a bit more noticable, it wouldn't have hurt to do that. If it was stolen, or deleted from my computer, I would buy it again. This album is one I think every metal head should listen to... // 9

More Savatage reviews rating latest review
+ The Dungeons Are Calling 9.7 09/29/2010