Sirens Review

9.3
 9.4
review (1) 11 comments vote for this album:
Sirens Reviewed by: Powerageman, on july 23, 2010

Sound: This is Savatage's first album. The sound on this album is very different than what would be on following albums. This album has more of a speed metal sound than the power metal one they would attain on later albums. Criss's guitar is very echoed, and not as powerful. But the sound has just the raw feel to it. The bass is hardly heard in the album, so there's really not alot to go one about it. The drums, like the guitar, are very echoed. The playing is done very well, but nothing that makes it individuality. I think what they were trying to do was make the album sound like it was actually recorded in a dungeon. Well, in my opinon, they did a hell of a good job... // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very power metal-like. The songs talk about insanity and rage. But one of them also talk about creatures called "sirens" closing in to attack on someone. The title track, Sirens, is without a doubt my favorite song on this album. It just gives you a hint of what's to come. The singer, Jon Oliva, does a very good job. His vocals are more of a screeching sound than actually singing. But, on a few songs where it does involve singing, not screaming, he does a very good job. The lyrics also fit the music very well. Around this time there were alot of bands who would remain unknown, because their lyrics were a little...out there. But savatage's lyrics were quite the oppposite. They are amazing! // 10

Overall Impression: To other artists in the 80's, alot of them would get mainstream popularity in the 80's and early 90's. Savatage never got this. Never would they be a popular band. I think this band was very creative, and this album just began to show what was yet to come. The 3 most impressive songs on here: 01. Sirens 02. Living for the night 03. I believe What I love about it is its heavy power and underground feel of it. What I don't like about it is that there are some parts where the singers voice turns into this kind of devil's voice. Whenever he sings in it, I'm not even sure if he's just screaming or if he's actually singing. If I lost it, I would try to find it again. This album is a little hard to find these days, and I'm lucky I found it at the Zia's records by where I live. Only $9.99. Overall, Savatage's Sirens is a great first album. There are some places it could be fixed, but, hey, it's not broken! // 9

More Savatage reviews rating latest review
+ The Dungeons Are Calling 9.7 09/29/2010