Under The Boards Review

saves the day: Under The Boards
Release Date: Oct 30, 2007
Label: Vagrant
Genres: Emo, Punk-Pop, Punk Revival
Under The Boards is the second in a trilogy of albums that Saves the Day has billed to be a "story of self-discovery."
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.2
 8.3
Under The Boards Reviewed by: herojuana1, on april 21, 2008

Sound: This is the newest album and 2nd part of a trilogy of CDs. Compared to Older albums (let's say from can't slow down to Stay what you are) it is very different. Chris sings much higher, the music is much more of a rock then a pop-punk sound. Overall at times it works and others it doesn't. The vocals are closer to In Reverie or Sound the Alarm. The music itself is rather a new venture for STD. With an always revolving lineup, that can't be helped. // 7

Lyrics: The album at times is very dark but also hopeful at the same time. The lyrics are very whiny ("I wanna crawl into the ground and not come out", or "I thought you'd save me from myself with love")but it fits the theme and overall feel of the album. Chris' vocals are the best of the new era of STD. Very emotional, especially the chorus of "Stay" amongst many oters. // 7

Overall Impression: The album starts really strong for the first 3 or 4 tracks then slips a bit but regains strength as it goes. It's really up and down in terms of good and bad tunes. If you want a good feel of the album check out "Under The Boards", "Radio", "Get F--ked Up", and "Stay". It's definatly worth a listen if you enjoy Saves The Days newer stuff. // 8

Under The Boards Reviewed by: screamokid, on april 22, 2008

Sound: So I to review this cd, because the last review did not do this album justice. So here it is. Saves The Day greatly mature with each album they put out. This album is no exception. This is the 2nd CD of a trilogy, of a story that I can't quite figure out, but that's Saves The Day for you. It opens up with a slow begining in the song Under The Boards. This song really captures the mood of the whole CD, which is a kind of dark, lonely emotion to it. They evolved from more of a pop-punk to a more indie-pop, and I kind of get a similar vibe to this CD as I do to The Shins, which is stange to me. // 9

Lyrics: Chris Conoley has and always has had the most unique voice in modern music. This CD is no exception, he sings with really high vocals which if your a fan of pop-punk, indie, emo music, you will love. That is if you don't already love it already. In the other review, they critiqued the lyrics based on the first line of the first song, and the whole CD is NOT like that. Saves The Day has very unique lyrics with a lot of metaphores and lines that don't make sense right as you listen to them, but grow on you over time. Songs that stick out lyrically are Radio, Lonely Nights, Stay, Can't Stay The Same, Getaway, and Kaleidoscope. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definetly a Saves The Day cd. They are one of my favorite bands because they are like no other, and this CD is like no other. They do their own thing and they do it better then everyone else. There is nothing about this CD I dislike one bit. My favorite song hands down is Stay. I love the melody and the way the guitar is played. Get F--ked Up is also a very good pop-punk song that is kind of bluesy. If you are a Saves The Day fan, or a pop-punk fan (because Saves The Day is the most influental band in pop-punk and emo music today) I highly recommend picking up this CD and all the other Saves The Day CDs. You will not be disappointed. // 9

More Saves The Day reviews rating latest review