...Is A Real Boy Review

say anything: ...Is A Real Boy
Release Date: Aug 3, 2004
Label: Doghouse
Genres: Punk-Pop, Punk Revival, Emo
...Is a Real Boy comes off as an impressively well-done, multifaceted effort that deserves multiple spins and makes Say Anything truly a band to watch.
 9.5
 9.7
 9.2
...Is A Real Boy Reviewed by: AMan95, on june 03, 2008

Sound: The sound of. Is A Real Boy blows me away. It has an intense punk rock feeling while touching on other genres such as pop punk, alternative, acoustic, and just plain rock. Many cds these days are really frustrating because every single song sounds the same!!! This, however, is not one of those albums. Each song has a new sound, purpose, and soul. It is one of the few albums I can sit and listen to without skipping a song. Each song is intricately composed and is timed with perfection. For example, in "An Orgy Of Critics," the distorted screeching guitar intro is followed by a drum beat and a breakdown that is timed perfectly. The same goes for tracks such as "Yellow Cat/Red Cat" and "Belt." The guitar (played by frontman Max Bemis) is amazing, combining bright pop punk riffs with screeching alternative licks. Though I absolutely love the album, I must admit there are some tracks that may be a turnoff at first listen ("Slowly Through A Vector," "The Writhing South" and " I Will Never Write an Obligatory Song About Being on the Road and Missing Someone") but you learn to like them as you listen to them more and more. While some songs can get repetitive from a strictly musical view ("Total Revenge" and "Metal Now" in particular) they are still very catchy and will be stuck in your head for weeks after the first listen. Overall, the music is incredibly composed and must be heard by all musicians. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics of Say Anything are unmistakable. They are as outspoken and inappropriate as they are true and honest. With tracks such as "Admit It," "I Want To Know Your Plans," "Wow I Can Get Sexual Too," and "Woe," this album is a lyrical masterpiece with a truckload of emotion behind every phrase. The vocal stylings of Max Bemis are very different, and if you aren't a fan of the band you will find them really weird and strange. But the more you listen and the more you understand the songs, you will eventually LOVE the vocals and the lyrics. I can't think of a single song on this that doesn't have great lyrics and vocals. The lyrics and vocals on... Is A Real Boy are easily classified as PERFECT // 10

Overall Impression: This album blows the rest of the punk rock/alternative scene away. Say Anything is no doubt the next big thing in rock music. I love every single song, and it's hard to pick favorites. Belt, Woe, Alive w/ the Glory of Love, Spidersong, Chia-Like I Shall Grow, I Want To Know Your Plans, Admit It, and Wow I Can Get Sexual Too are the most impressive standout tracks from the album. I would definitely pay ANY PRICE to buy this album again if it was stolen or lost. I love this album and anyone who likes punk or alternative will love it too. Get ready because Say Anything is out to take over the music world. // 10

...Is A Real Boy Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2006

Sound: Best described as emo-punk rock. The lyrics are amazing and the music really fits them. This is Say Anythings first full album release. ...Is A Real Boy is definintely one of the best records to come out this year. // 10

Lyrics: This album lyrically ashtonishing. The inspiration for the songs seems to come from anywhere, in the track "Alive With The Glory Of Love" Mr. Bemis imagines himself in love during WWII and being taken to a concentration camp. His lyrics are sometimes suicidal (I'm eating rat poison for dinner, The Futile) but they are still impressive. The Lyrical highlight of the CD is the final track (Admit It!!!) In which he rambles on about hypocritical people and his disgust for them. // 10

Overall Impression: This album may not get all the press coverage that other albums might, but ...Is A Real Boy is in my opinion one of the finest records I have ever boughten. The albums takes you through many moods, From Alive With The Glory Of Love which is a catchy punk-pop tune to Yellow Cat/Red Cat which is suprisingly mellow. If it were stolen or lost I would absolutely but this record again. // 10

...Is A Real Boy Reviewed by: GibsonRck12, on may 25, 2007

Sound: Max Bemis played every instrument on this album except for percussion. The imperfections are what make the songs feel real and sets them apart from the music that has been churned out by many more popular bands of today. This is not "Emo", it is best classified by Alternative Rock. The songs are so catchy it's borderline ridiculous. // 10

Lyrics: Max Bemis is a poetic genius. His brutal honesty is blatant and in your face. In songs such as, "Admit It", he rants about how he feels about the whole "scene". In "Alive With The Glory Of Love", a song about a love affair with a woman during the Holocaust, Max shows off his sheer brilliance, and how mature he can be for his age. In others songs like, "Every Man Has A Molly", Max shows his sex starved teen side. Either way you will find yourself singing these songs all day long. His voice blends perfectly with the songs and has suprisingly good versatility. If I could Lyrics more than a 10, I would. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is possibly one of the best of this decade. The only reason they aren't being played on every radio station on the face of the planet is because Max Bemis wanted to stay "underground" and stay away from the major labels. This album blows away anything the likes of Fall Out Boy could dream of. Every song on the album is amazing in it's own way, I suggest listening to all of them. Warning: highly addictive! So set your iPod to album repeat, press play, recharge, and repeat. // 10

...Is A Real Boy Reviewed by: SayAnything,,, on july 16, 2007

Sound: This album is simply amazing. I'd have to guess that Say Anything is a band that doesn't care about the money or the fame. They care about the music. And it shows in their songs. They are so meaningful and powerful. They really make you think. The album and sound of the music would have to make this band one of my favorites. // 10

Lyrics: Max Bemis is an extremely talented man and you can tell the lyrics mean something. They arn't simply "Boy meets girl, falls in love..." "Alive With The Glory Of Love" is a well thought out, touching love song about World War Two. You can tell because he talks about "They'll search the buildings, collect gold fillings, wallets and rings..." which they done in the war. Also "Should they catch us and dispatch us to those separate work camps..." which speaks for it self. Admit it is a truley amazing song. I'd have to say one of the best off the album. It talks about the diffrent social cliques of this generation. For example, "Scene Kids", "emos" etc. They don't care about how people will react to it they just want to make their point. // 10

Overall Impression: Musicly and lyricly this is one of the best albums you can buy. The songs have meaning and are just simply amazing songs to listen too. "A Walk Through Hell" Is a very good song. The chorus doesn't come after the first verse so when it comes there's such an impact. It's great. If my album was lost or stolen I'd get another one without a doubt. // 10

...Is A Real Boy Reviewed by: Screamerific, on december 01, 2011

Sound: Say Anything's debut album is a true sign that punk rock lives on. Originally meant to be a rock opera, "...is A Real Boy" evolved into a true masterpiece. Its that somewhat angry punk rock that will set it apart from other rock bands out there today. You'll like it (if you like punk-ish rock). // 8

Lyrics: Max Bemis is truely a poet. The song "The Futile" is my personal favorite song on the album due to the strangely true and brilliant lyrics. The first word got me caught on the song: Sh-t!. It was just perfect without an intro or a guitar to back the "Sh-t!" up. // 10

Overall Impression: "...is A Real Boy" is one of my personal favorite albums due to that gritty punk rock sound the album has. When I first bought it my older brother said to me "Why would you buy this album, it only has 2 good songs on it" (he was referring to "Alive With The Glory Of Love" and "Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too") I later sent him a text saying "Idk what you were talking about, this albums amazing". It truly is one of my favorite albums. The Best songs are: "Woe", "The Writhing South", "Alive With The Glory Of Love", "The Futile", "Spidersong", "Every Man Has His Molly" and "Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too". // 8

More Say Anything reviews rating latest review