Lost In Existence Review

scarlett ohara: Lost In Existence
Released: Sep 13, 2010
Genre: Post-Hardcore
Label: Rise Records
This is an excellent debut album. They're a pretty unknown band, and it's really sad because they're damn good.
 7.8
 7.5
 8.1
Lost In Existence Reviewed by: r0ckth3d34n, on october 15, 2010

Sound: Scarlett O'Hara is a new band making a solid image in the hardcore music scene. While their sound is comparable to bands like Bring Me The Horizon, Oceana, The Devil Wears Prada and Asking Alexandria, they set themselves far apart from any hardcore band out right now. I tihnk part of that is because of their screamer, Eddie. He has to be one of the most brutal, fierce, aggressive screamers in the genre. Oli Sykes doesn't even touch Eddie. He makes his talent very clear just 10 seconds into the first song. Every line sounds so harsh, and it really adds a great amount of depth into the music. It's like you can feel his emotion in every word. This guy has talent, beyond that of most screamers. Being hardcore/metalcore, there's breakdowns. I enjoy breakdowns, so I might be a bit biased, but these breakdowns are no joke. These kids (yes, kids, they just finished high school) know exactly what they're doing, and they're doing a damn good job of it. They all don't sound the same either. Some are pretty complex, and others are more simple. But you honestly can't say that one song's breakdown sounds exactly like the other one, unless you're extremely square. The clean singer isn't that great. He has his own kind of style, and it reminds me of the old singer from Sky Eats Airplane (Everything Perfect on the Wrong Day era) to some extent, but not as whiny, which is definitely a plus. There's not as much techno as compared to other bands that come from Rise Records. There's some very faint synth in some parts, and it's not obnoxious like Attack Attack! or whatever your most hated hardcore/metalcore band with a synth is. It doesn't take away from the music at all. I would say that the synth sounds somewhat like how We Came as Romans uses it, to give that more full, orchestra style sound. It fills gaps instead of making bigger ones. A few songs use a little bit of piano. The guitar players have talent, too. Each song sounds significantly different from the other. There are sick licks everywhere in each song. They know exactly what they're doing with the breakdowns, and they know how to sound musical. No where does the guitar just sound like "noise," or like it doesn't fit. The parts come together incredibly well, which is great because some of the bands in this genre don't play far from powerchords, chugging and bass string riffs. Overall, their sound is pretty diverse and sets them apart from bands in the genre. // 8

Lyrics: Like a lot of the new music coming out, even on a debut album, the lyrics have a "sell-out" kind of style to them. Not every song on the album sounds like that. These lyrics definitely have some depth and meaning. Nothing too crazy to give you goosebumps every time you hear it, but some lines are pretty memorable. Some lines leave a lot to be desired. The clean singer fits in very well with Eddie's harsh screaming. It adds a very good balance to the sound. It's nothing amazing, but it definitely works, and quite well. // 6

Overall Impression: This is an excellent debut album. They're a pretty unknown band (they've been signed for a little over 6 months, I believe), and it's really sad because they're damn good. Especially live, which isn't very common in a lot of new bands. Each song is very impressive, especially in comparison to other bands in the genre. Lost in Existence will leave you wanting more, but not in an unsatisfied kind of way. Since they're touring and not going to record for awhile, you might as well listen to the CD a few more times. I love the uniqueness of the screaming and the drums. The clean singing is pretty average, but it fits and sounds pretty good, so I can't complain too much. It could be longer, 10 tracks and 32 minutes later. Overall, I'm incredibly impressed with this CD. I was a little bit afraid at first that it would be a little too heavy for my tastes, but after I heard their new singles, I was hooked. I can't get enough. I'm looking forward to a sophomore CD and seeing them live again knowing their songs. // 9

Lost In Existence Reviewed by: ninjagayden777, on may 09, 2011

Sound: Odd band name aside, Scarlett O'Hara are nothing like the "Gone With The Wind" actress they felt compelled to unite under. These young gents offer a type of metalcore that is rare nowadays: more hardcore influence, less metal. The music reflects that in its relative simplicity, which flows from verse riffs to breakdowns to choruses smoother than a freshly waxed kitchen floor. The guitar tone is certainly unique to them. Unlike the dozens of other bands in this style, their tone plays a big part in what separates them from the competition. It isn't overdriven to hell and back, and isn't too heavy on the gain. Instead, they have a sort of punk-ish crunch that makes for a far more enjoyable listen than hearing the same gain-driven chug over and over again. Drums are a huge highlight on this disk for me. The fills are done ferociously and efficiently, and the cymbal effects are way cool (see the awesome China-driven breakdown at the end of "Dude, You're Being That Guy"). // 8

Lyrics: The vocalist certainly stands out for me. Instead of using a more conventional approach a la Asking Alexandria, he sticks with a more punky yell, which, while good and unique, can sadly irritate the listener after a while. Luckily one of the guitarists throws in fry screams, which have such a harsh tone to them they almost sound demonic. The cleans aren't bad, but they don't stand out either. For an example of the wide range of vocal technique, try "Where In The World Is Earthworm Jim?" The lyrics are decent, mostly about loss or regret, but aren't too spectacular by themselves. Thankfully, the delivery makes up for this factor. // 8

Overall Impression: "Lost In Existence" offers a somewhat varied look at modern metalcore. The disk has plenty of good things going on, but also has some elements that can make it a stale listen to some. The band is pretty tight in their performance, and have some awesome sounds to offer. Maybe round two will give us the jaw dropping album that this one almost was. For fans of: The Devil Wears Prada, We Came As Romans, metalcore (emphasis on the CORE). // 6

Comments