Eye II Eye Review

9.7
 8.1
review (1) 9 comments vote for this album:
Eye II Eye Reviewed by: District, on january 08, 2010

Sound: Eye II Eye sounds and looks like nothing the Scorpions have done before. With the opening track "Mysterious" you already get the message that they have changed their style for once. Laid back rhythms are shown and a relaxed sound has been adopted. You could say they are experimenting with techno/pop music, yet it is neither. It has a bit of a progressive flow to it as a whole. I like it a lot, and I think it's very daring for a band this old to release something this strange. This change of sounds is by no means negative in outcome, I think it's very positive. // 10

Lyrics: Are you used to Klaus Meine's highpitched vocals, then this will be a disappointment. He makes more use of his lower register on this album, and sometimes tends to sing on a dirty low pimp-ish voice, which does add a lot to the quality of the music, and the overal feel you get by it. The lyrics are not of any greater quality than they have ever been, they are as usual mostly about love and girls. "Eye to Eye" however is about the fathers of Rudolf Schenker and Klaus Meine, who I take it have deceased. Since the lyrics are mostly not really serious (with an exception of a few songs), the songs have the same feel to them, in which cases the lyrics make the song. Relaxed lyrics make relaxed songs. // 9

Overall Impression: If I were to compare Eye II Eye to any other album made by the Scorpions, then I would conclude that this is their best album yet. This is such a powerful record, from beginning to end, and has songs that no album in the past had. The most impressive songs are "Skywriter", "Aleyah" and "Freshly Squeezed". Especially that last song is so very experimental, and that's what I really love about this album. The overal feel to it is very positive. Not only that, but the photographs inside the booklet are very nice as well. If this album was stolen I would just go to the basement and take out second copy. // 10

More Scorpions reviews rating latest review
+ MTV Unplugged - Live In Athens 8.1 01/22/2014