Humanity - Hour 1 Review

scorpions: Humanity - Hour 1
Release Date: May 15, 2007
Label: Sony-BMG
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Pop/Rock, Album Rock, Hair Metal, Arena Rock
This album is a concept album with a global theme about humanity and mankind.
 8.9
Humanity - Hour 1 Reviewed by: Black Dragons, on may 17, 2007

Sound: This is 21st album of the legendary band Scorpions. The band after realising Unbreakable (a great album with a 'return to the roots' feeling after accoustica, moment of glory, eye to eye) went to L.A. to record it's 21st album with Desmond Child and James Michael as producers. The result is 'Humanity - Hour 1'. This album is a concept album with a global theme about humanity and mankind. The sound of the band is very different from the album of the 80's and even from Unbreakable. The guitars are clean and very bright with a modern feeling to them. There are of course rock songs and ballads as all the other Scorpions albums but this time it is like 50-50. Most of the songs are played in slow or mid tempos and there are not any fast ones. This of course is not a problem because the album has a certain and strong feeling, the old hard rock songs of Scorpions are combined with new and modern sound. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics talk about humanity and mankind. They combine with the music very well and create live images and a very positive feeling. Klaus Meine is probably the highlight of this album. His performances are full of emotions and his voice is better than ever. Definitely there is a more mature content in this album than others. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a very good album! The band has worked hard for it and the production is very good. It is something different than the older staff that the band has done but it is natural step forward Unbreakable. It is not one of their best but one of the best after 'Face The Heat' album after Unbreakable of course. If it was stolen I would go buy it again for sure. // 8

Humanity - Hour 1 Reviewed by: ScruffMcGruff, on august 21, 2007

Sound: I felt it was time for me to finally indulge in some of Scorpions' newer music. I've listened to there most popular and older music for while now. But was a bit afraid to take a step into one of their albums such as Unbreakable or Eye II Eye albums due to poor reviews. So I waited for one of this album. "Humanity Hour I" After listening to this album I can see a large volume of changes they've been going through. If it weren't for Klaus Meine's vocals I would've mistaken this for another band. The music is very good though. The songs are much heavier. And have rhythms that can send chills down your spine. There's just one thing though, Rudolf Schenker doesn't seem to have such a prominent stand in these albums. I really wish his solos were longer and more dominant like in previous albums before 1990. // 9

Lyrics: The vocals remain as clever as ever in this new album. The lyrics are perfect, but I wanted to really here Klause Meine's voice soar louder and higher pitched, but faced disappointment on that expectation. He seemed to have more control or restriction over his pitch in this album, which gave the pitch a duller feel than in older albums, he seems to sing much happier in songs like "Rock You Like A Hurricane" or "Big City Nights". Which was a part of why I listen to them a lot. It kind of feels depressing when you compare the the vocals between this album and the older stuff. It was also a bit hard to hear Klause Meine's voice over the louder and heavier songs too. I got used to hearing him soar over the rhythm guitar, with Rudolph doing his leads. // 8

Overall Impression: Scorpions has definitely taken a different direction in this album. I like the heavier rhythm guitar they adopted, but in my opinion the lead guitar should have had more of a powerful appearance. A good example of what I'm talking about is on the 2:50 time mark of "Your Last Song" or the 2:55 mark on "Love Is War". Those solos soar so high, my mood went up a notch listening to those songs. I just want more of that through out the album. This is definitely a good buy for a Scorpions fan though. Regardless of the changes they made, I enjoyed every bit of Humanity Hour 1. These were just my thoughts on how they could've made it better. // 8

Humanity - Hour 1 Reviewed by: highwind5150, on may 28, 2007

Sound: I would have to say that personally for me this album is amazing. The sound is so crisp and tight throughout the whole album. It is really amazing how Klaus Meine and the crew are well into their 40's and still make a great rockin' album. This album sounds pretty different from anything the Scorpions have put out recently. This is a concept album with many messages found in each song. Talking about humanity and the world. Songs of love and then you get a song like "321" where it just gives you a reason to pump your fist in the air! The sound of Humanity Hour 1 is produced very well, sounds clear, and precise. The album rocks throughout but includes a few ballads here and there like "The Future Never Dies" and "Love Will Keep Us Alive". The others are either really rock-type songs or a combo between soft and rock. My favorite songs on this album would have to be all of them but the ones that stick out the most to me are "We Were Born to Fly" "Humanity" "321" (awesome song) and "We Will Rise Again". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are very well done. The lyrics flow with the music throughout the album. The lyrics are very emotional and serious. Klaus Meine voice has got to be what stands out the most from this CD. What I found so great about it is that he never tries to strain his voice. He always stays within his limits. // 10

Overall Impression: So far I would say that this album ranks as my #1 album of the year. I say that mainly because I don't care for most music that is released nowadays. I respect the hell out of this band and the great job they did with this album. I found it very interesting that Billy Corgan contributed to singing "The Cross" he does a great job and adds another sound for the listener to hear. The best rocking songs: Hour 1 and 321. Best Ballads: Love Will Keep Us Alive and The Future Never Dies. The One Song That Separates Itself from All the Other Songs: Humanity. There isn't anything I didn't like about this album. If I lost it or it got stolen I would go to the nearest CD place and pick it right back up. // 10

More Scorpions reviews rating latest review
+ MTV Unplugged - Live In Athens 8.1 01/22/2014