Lonesome Crow Review

Genre: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal
Label: Brain Records
review (1) 10 comments vote for this album:
Lonesome Crow Reviewed by: Thrash.aholic, on june 25, 2010

Sound: This is my favorite album ever. It was released in 1972 but it sounds very ahead of its time. It sounds very different from all of the Scorpions other albums because it has more of a bluesy psychedelic rock sound compared to their hard rock/ hair metal sound that they are best known for. There is not one bad thing I can find about this album. Great guitar playing overall by the Schenker brothers, who were very young at this time, with plenty of solos and riffs that sound amazing, this is Scorpion's first album so it actually is a little bit surprising to think that they released an album this good if you're used to their more slow ballad type songs that they used extensively in the 80's and 90's. The drums are amazing and support the music very well without using lame simple beats. It reminds me of Bonhams and Lombardos playing because they don't just support the music they give it a whole different feel. The bassist leads the music at some points with some very interesting basslines that are full of emotion, I'm surprised that their bassist only stuck around for this one album cause he did a fantastic job, his biggest stand out moments being on the title track and "action" which is the probably the bluesiest sounding song Scorpions has every done and stands out compared to the more psychedelic sound that the album gives off especially on songs such as "I'm Going Mad" and "Lonesome Crow". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are mostly about emotions and deal with topics such as inner peace, loneliness, depression, happiness, and even an ominous but laid back feeling that's very hard to explain. Some lyrics are very deep provoke some heavy thinking such as "Faintly the dream of a true and wonderful world And no one will care as long as the world will turn And I know a place to go to find my peace of mind" While others are more straight-forward such as: "Takes my dinner Drinks my beer Spends my money But I don't care She's my love She's my dear Love is here I was there Ahhh! Yeah!" Either way the lyrics fit the music very well and they usually are very short even the 13 minute song "Lonesome Crow" which is mostly just amazing solos preformed by Micheal Schenker and some very nice fills by the whole band. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is so unique sounding that you just have to listen to it to understand what it actually sounds like. It is nothing like their more commercial newest album. It is more of a blend of different types of rock and it fuses very well which along with the amazing singing, guitar playing, basslines, lyrics, and drum fills cause there to be no boring parts in this album. I love everything about this album and hate nothing. All my friends love it too except for only one who only likes simple Nu-metal music with little diversity such as Disturbed, so he didn't even give it a listen. If this album were stolen I would let the guy keep it cause he needs it more than I do but I would still order another copy from amazon cause this album is very hard to find in stores. If you want to take a listen for yourself listen to "I'm Going Mad" and "Action" that way you would hear the bluesy and psychedelic side of this amazing album. // 10

More Scorpions reviews rating latest review
+ MTV Unplugged - Live In Athens 8.1 01/22/2014