Love At First Sting Review

scorpions: Love At First Sting
Release Date: 1984
Label: Mercury
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Pop/Rock, Album Rock, Arena Rock
Considering the fact that it has some of their best-ever singles, Love at First Sting is definitely a must for all fans of the Scorpions.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.5
 9.9
Love At First Sting Reviewed by: randy_rhoads83, on april 19, 2006

Sound: Scorpions are a real underrated band in respects. First off, the guitar tandem that is Rudolf Schenker and Matthias Jabs is very unique. Schenker is a solid writer and Jabs is one of my favorite 80s guitarists. The tones they put out are, while not the most unique, is very fitting for the band, and offsets Klaus Meine's pretty boy voice well. The bass and drums are solid as well. Sure, Herman Rarebell is no Neil Peart, but then again neither is Tommy Lee. The guitar playing is real nice on this album. On some tracks, like Still Loving You and the first part of Coming Home are light, power ballad, while tracks like The Same Thrill and Rock You Like A Hurricane are more in-your-face. Very typical Scorpions, they love mixing it up on every album. But as the saying goes, people are a product of their enviroment, and these guys were '80s metal. I can't help but compare these guys to a dozen other bands, like Skid Row for one. They just aren't the most original sounding band, but good writing always shines through. // 10

Lyrics: No one can say Klaus Meine is a bad singer. He has a good vocal range and a nice tone, but I can't say the same about his lyrics, which are not always solid to me. Don't get me wrong, some tracks, like Still Loving You, the lyrics make the song, but I can only take so much of those hit songs from bands. In this case, its Rock You Like a Hurricane. It has hit single all over it. But on the weaker lyric tracks, Klaus Meine more than makes up for it with his beauitful sounding pipes. You also have to consider a few years prior to this album, he underwent surgery on his vocal cords. So you have to give him props. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, despite its weak points and high points, Love At First Sting is a fantastic buy. If it were lost or stolen, I would try to buy it again, but I had trouble finding it in the first place. So I might just then just burn a copy, but then I don't get the suggestive cover, which is my favorite album cover because of its daring scene. If your chosing between this album and another Scorpions album, get this one. Its a solid insight on what the band is and was all about. // 10

Love At First Sting Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 27, 2012

Sound: Scorpions biggest international success "Love At First Sting" debuted to the world on March 27, 1984. It was the 4th album they release to world as a mainstream act rather than a rock/blues act like they were up until 1979's "Lovedrive" album. Having hits in the US like 1979's "Loving You Sunday Morning" and "Holiday", 1980's "Falling In Love" and "The Zoo", and the monster hit off 1982's "Blackout" album "No One Like You". By 1984 they US had a strong grasp on the band, but what they didn't know is Germany's Scorpions were literally about the rock the US hard rock and metal community like a hurricane. The album's opener "Bad Boys Running Wild" starts with bilistering guitars that leads into a kick-a** guitar riff, grabbing a hold you and not letting go for the next 41 minutes. Guitarist Matthias Jabs and Rudolf Schenker really kicked the machine into overdrive on this album producing riff after riff hook after hook. The next song on the album is "Rock You Like A Hurricane". Now if you have been around since 1984-Present and you're able to hear you've heard this song at least once in your life. "I'm Leaving You" is the third song on this album. This is one of my favorite songs on this album it has all the qualities of the perfect hard rock jam. It has a monster guitar sound, an extremely 70s sound with the vocals, and a amazing but simple rhythm section. After you get past the next to killer songs "Coming Home" and "The Same Thrill" you hit the album's next hit "Big City Nights". This is an absolute classic that will forever stand the test of time. Next are the tracks "As Soon As The Good Times Roll" and "Crossfire" before hitting the last hit and song on the album the haunting, monster ballad "Still Loving You". How the effects were put on Klaus' vocals is eerie giving it the lonely feeling the song has. // 10

Lyrics: Scorpions' lyrics have always been straight to the point and this album isn't any different. Going off the 80s hard rock style it covers heartbreak, good times, and rock 'n' roll. When it comes to vocals Klaus Meine was at his peak on this album and is some of his best vocal ever. When Klaus recorded this you can tell he was pushing to stand out even more than before with the American crowds giving them what they wanted to hear. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is the best Scorpions album of the ones from the 80s. The songs that stand out most aren't even the monster hits that you always hear and that are always over-played. If you get this album skip the hits and start with "Bad Boys Running Wild", "I'm Leaving You", "Coming Home" the hits will ruin the rest of the album for you, because you'll just want to keep listening to those. I hate that they are going to be packing it up for good so if your a new learn the songs and catch them live and enjoy this amazing band and these amazing songs. // 10

More Scorpions reviews rating latest review
+ MTV Unplugged - Live In Athens 8.1 01/22/2014