Geogre Lassos The Moon Review

artist: Scott Lucas And The Married Men date: 02/24/2010 category: compact discs
Scott Lucas And The Married Men: Geogre Lassos The Moon
Released: Feb 16, 2010
Genre: Rock
 9.5
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Geogre Lassos The Moon Reviewed by: jkl1805, on february 24, 2010

Sound: This is the solo debut from Scott Lucas from Local H entitled "George Lassos the Moon". The title is a reference to a famous scene in "Its a Wonderful Life". It is hard, in a way, to call it a debut because Local H has always been a two-piece band with Scott as the protagonist. Ironically a solo album required a bigger band including horns, violin, accordion etc. However it is a clear departure from his previous work. If you are expecting a Local H album you will be surprised. If you are looking for anything like "California Songs", "Bound for the Floor", or "Hands on the Bible" you will not find it. You won't be hearing anything that really fits on mainstream radio. What you will hear is a very personal record. Influences on this album include: Neil Young in Crazy Horse days, Bob Dylan, Pavement, and the first Mark Lanegan album. To me, it sounds like if early Wilco made a break up album. It is a very "rootsy" / "idie" album. It is the second "break up" record, in a row, Scott has done. Local H's "12 Angry Months" came out in May of 2008. If I was a close personal friend I guess I could be quite concerned about his well-being. After a year of being separated he apparently sent a song a day for a week to his ex flame in hopes of getting back together. Essentially you are hearing a very personal album of love letters. Overall the songs can run together a bit because everything is paced about the same. There isn't any remarkable instrumental work. Fairly basic chord progression on the rhythm guitar, with good support from the lead slide guitar. I was very surprised to hear horns and strings used throughout the album and am happy to report they work well. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrical content of this album is obviously very personal. If you've been through a rough break up before and wanted to get back together with the person there will be things to relate to. It is pretty straight forward there isn't any mystery in what he is trying to say in each song. There is only one portion of the entire album I have a problem with. On the song "Get UP! You Damn, Dead Horse" there is a section on one of the verses that just sounds rough in the delivery. // 9

Overall Impression: "Weatherman" is the most impressive song of the album, and perhaps the best written song of Scott's career. Other Impressive songs are "Chin Up, Kid", "Last One", and "Stolen Umbrellas". It took me a while to get into the album. I am a huge fan of Local H and I guess that is what I expected to hear at first. I was waiting for the distortion to kick in and to get the pissed of Scott that I had grown accustomed to. I kept waiting to hear something like "High-Fiving MF" or "Fritz's Corner". The anger does not come. This is an introspective break up album. That is full of pain and regret. Lucas says the reason this is not a Local H album is the songs are too personal to be anything but a solo album. This will turn away a decent portion of the Local H fan base, so beware. That being said I love the record. It has stuck in my head much longer than I had ever expected it. I can't complain that it is different than the artist's previous work in fact I applaud the artist for taking a risk with such a personal piece of work. With all that being said this is not for everyone and not for all times. You aren't going to be listening to listen album out drinking with friends or to get pumped up in the gym. You can listen to the album here. // 10

Comments