The Great Divide Review

scott stapp: The Great Divide
Release Date: Nov 22, 2005
Label: Wind-up
Genres: Post-Grunge, Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock
Stapp is trying to sound like Creed on his solo debut instead of embracing the freedom of being a solo artist.
 Lyrics: 6.7
 6.7
 6.6
 6.8
The Great Divide Reviewed by: superguitarist1, on november 28, 2005

Sound: This album, (The Great Divide, by Scott Stapp), has a very similar sound to Creed, of course Scott Stapp was the lead singer for Creed, so that should be fairly obvious. The album was a heavier version of Creed's music, though. So it appeals to slightly different audience. It has a great musical structure, and the guitarist, matches if not is better than Mark Tremonti, which is saying something very major. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very religious, as expected. And they fit together wonderfully with the music. Especially with the bass line and guitar rhythym. And not to mention that Scott Stapp has won awards for his amazing voice, so that shoul draw a nice little picture of his voccal skills. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, it is a heavier version of Creed, so it compares to them in that way. My favorite songs from the album are; Reach Out, Fight Song, Hard Way, Justify, and The Great Divide. I can't really say that I hate anything about it. And I would definitely buy it again if it were lost or stolen. // 9

The Great Divide Reviewed by: Kaczman16, on november 29, 2005

Sound: I am not impressed at all with the sound on this album. With Creed, there was a clean crisp sound to the band. On this album however it seems Mr. Stapp does not think that this was important. I don't even know how this guitarist can be compared to someone such as Mark Tremonti. If someone says that this guitarist is better and has a better sound. I don't even know what to say them except they are dead wrong. There is also no song that stands out from the rest. They all sound the same. // 4

Lyrics: Horrible lyrics. There is no better way to put it. There are no lyrics that stand out. They all sound the same as if the whole cd is just one whole song. It seems that Stapp just put some lines together to rhyme. I don't know of another way to put it. Take one look at his lyrics and you will see this. Some parts on this cd the voice seems to be annoying. This can be heard on "Reach Out." In the bridge it sounds like he has lost his voice or it has gone hoarse. Not impressed at all with the sound of his voice on the CD. // 4

Overall Impression: The reason this cd is getting such a low grade from me is because none of my expectations where met. I had a feeling this was going to happen when I heard the first single "The Great Divide." Nothing stands out and there is not one song on the CD that grabs your attention. His voice doesn't sound, as good on this cd and this was my biggest disappointment. I think some people will start to see who maybe wrote some of the stuff in Creed which was credited to Stapp cough cough Tremonti cough cough. If you want a band that sounds great and every song is different then check out Alter Bridge. I was just hoping for more from Scott, but I guess he is to self absorbed to listen to the music. If he weren't such an ego maniac maybe he would have called the band a different name besides his own. But that is a whole another story all together. If someone stole this cd from me I would personally find them and thank them. I would not buy this CD again. // 2

The Great Divide Reviewed by: smiller0529, on november 29, 2005

Sound: I think the album is awesome. If any part of it sounds like Creed it's Scott's voice, Scott was the voice of Creed. The band Goneblind do an awesome job on this album as well. I was blown away by Mark Archer's drums and Mitch's bass playing, at the end of Justify I get chills listening to Mitch on bass, if you loved Creed you will love this album. // 10

Lyrics: I love the way that Scott takes you on a journey throughout this CD. It down and out and then The Great Divide where he gets his life in order and the last song Broken. Oh how I can understand what he is going through. // 10

Overall Impression: If you loved Creed you will definately love this album. The most impressive songs numbers 1-10 it takes you on a journey, tells a story there is nothing on this album that I hate, other than wanting more. // 10

The Great Divide Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 23, 2005

Sound: The sound of this album was a little bit more than what I expected of scott stapp. He has a ok guitarist, but the guitarist can and will never, ever meet the skill level of Mark Tremonti (see Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad for closure on this statement). The guitarist sounds like he is using a PRS with a Mesa, Mark's sound, which is kinda lame in my eyes. Word of advice, get your own sound. // 3

Lyrics: The lyrics were typical stapp, nothing outstanding, same stuff he always did, and you can almost guess who wrote most of the lyrics for creeds greatest hits (Mr. Tremonti). The only song I can say that is awesome as far as lyrics go is The Great Divide, except where he does that little "Ohh, our love is beautiful" bit, that kills the up tempo mood for the entire song. Most people probably hit the back button on their cd players like I do when that part pops up. // 2

Overall Impression: Overall, stapp sounds pretty bad in this album, much worse than any creed album. He needs to break away and find a new path such as a fry cook at a McDonalds or something. I loved him in Creed, I dont like him as a solo artist. The fire isnt there anymore, the passion in the songs is almost non existant, and all it is, basically, is pop. I feel that this will be his last album. Wind-Up pushed him incredibly hard, and all he did was dick himself over. You want fries with that Jesus? // 3

The Great Divide Reviewed by: adparaiki, on december 24, 2005

Sound: The sound is very Creed-ish for some songs such as the Great Divide but The album has many different sounds to it which is greatly surprising. Their are the heavier songs which are awesome and some songs which are quite mellow such as surround me which really has a great sound in the chorus very energetic sounding. The real suprise is the song Broken which shows Scott Stapp reaching new ground. The main instrument is a piano with gospel sounding backing choir Scott's voice sounds very passionate and sings the song as if he means it. I love it and hope this is a single. // 9

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are very different to Scott's writing in some respects. Scott has said the difference is that he didn't prewrite and of the lyrics with this album what came out came out. Their are hidden meanings to some of the songs such as surround me (I'll let you figure it out) I think the lyrics are well written. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the album and wish Scott all the best with it. Please release broken as a signle that will be the turning point I think with sales, respect everything! for Scott Stapp. My favourites are Broken, Surround me, and justify which is very different as well. // 10

The Great Divide Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 26, 2005

Sound: The sound, besides Stapp's voice, which has clearly declined since Weathered Creed's 3rd album, it sounds like Creed. Basically meaning, the drumming is the same as it was with creed, (drumming sounds the same in all mainstream bands really) and the guitar sounds alot alike, with the exception of the skill parts of the songs. Just because Stapp's new guitarist can sound like Tremonti when he hits chords, doesn't mean he's as good, he's just using the same equipment. Scott Stapp takes credit for this by the way, saying that he showed him how to get that Creed sound (it's called Drop D). // 3

Lyrics: Lyrics I'm gonna say are better for Stapp than they were with creed because hes actually being honest for once. His true christian side comes out, funny from a guy who always claimed he wasn't a christian. This is really the only thing that seperates "Scott Stapp" from "Creed" as far as the label on CD, the fact that Stapp can write as much jesus loving music as he wants. // 5

Overall Impression: Of course this will be compared to Creed, I'd rather compare to Alter Bridge, One Day Remains CD to Stapp's Great Divide, the firsts works of both artists as a new. Keep in mind Stapp has 3 new guys behind him. Tremonti Phillips and Marshall have 1 new guy, and they made such a larger improvement. Stapp kept to the same formula because he just wants to sell records and he was convinced he was all people liked in Creed, his debut on Billboard of 19th in the years busiest shopping week proved otherwise (AB was 5 in August). Tremonti furthered his Guitar work by a factor of 10 on One Day Remains, Phillips went so much further with his drumming than any of the Creed CD's, yet Stapp has remained the same, and hired 3 other musicians to mimic a group of guys from an era which was not their prime. This CD was what I expected, crap, I didn't buy it I downloaded it and listend to it 3 times all the way through, nothing impressive, stay away from it. Stick with AB, you'll see where the real talent was. // 4

The Great Divide Reviewed by: Guitarplaya27, on january 12, 2006

Sound: The sound is great. Scott Stapp found a very good band. The guitar player does not play riffs as much as Tremonti did, but the riffs he did play were pretty good. The songs may not be in order though so bear with me: 01. Reach Out - the riff is one of the best in the song. The guitar player made a dark sound. 02. Fight Song - there is a ton of palm muting and a little riff in the chorus and the beginning. The palm mutes with the power chords in the verse give this song a brilliant rate. 03. Hard Way - there is an nice acoustic riff for the beginning and during the verse, there is another guitar that is on distortion. 04. Justify - sounds western but once you get past the beginning and the verse there are some very goor riffs and power chords. 05. Let Me Go - very nice riff throughout the song. The riff kind of reminds me like faceless man then the chords gome in which makes it sound like Don't Stop Dancing. 06. Surround Me - there is a riff which makes it sound like a great song. The riff carries on throu to the chorus! It sounds like With Arms Wide Open but not as slow or as dark. 07. The Great Divide - the riff is the best on this CD! I love the song as much as any other. The song is made up of a riff then when u get to the chorus it makes it better because the chords just fit with the song. 08. Sublime - The beginning reminds me of Higher because the chords come in at the very beginning and continues then when u get to the chorus or later the guitar player hits the distortion. 09. You Will Soar - my favorite song of all. The guitar player in the verse hits chords silently then palm mutes the he plays this awesome little riff. The chorus has power chords and some palm muting and its mixed with some riffs. Do not skip this song! 10. Broken - there some piano work then there is a ton of chords. I like it though. There is like a choir with Scott. At the end there some distortion. // 9

Lyrics: If any of you know whatScott Stapp is about, he writes christian lyrics and lyrics about life. In songs like Broken, You Will Soar, The Great Divide, and other he writes some nice lyrics which I love. His songs have different riffs and chords for the different songs. Like in Fight Song and Reach Out, the lyrics match the songs guitar work. // 10

Overall Impression: I compare this to Weathered by Creed. The album does not have the same Tremonti. Tremonti had a ton of riffs and very good guitar work. The Great Divide has a ton of Scott Stapp but the guitar work sounds impressive. If it were lost or stolen I would buy it again. Very good album for the Creed fans and any other people who want some music that is insperational. // 10

The Great Divide Reviewed by: reliant55, on january 23, 2006

Sound: I'll be honest theres a little something in his songs that remind me of Creed. But come on, his voice for one, so it was probably a little difficult for him to find his own sound. Second, I love all the songs! Even if the guitarist sounds some wat of Tremonti. But give him a little credit you guys. At least if he did learn from Tremonti at all, he's got taste. The first song reach out blew me away with the hammer ons and pull offs. And I loved how scott sang the bridge part of it. To me he showed passion there. It sounded like he was crying out for someone to reach out too. But that's just my thought. I loved how he used a piano. That's cool because it's a change. The choir was great too I thought. He's starting to think outside the box. But there was a similar sound to some of the songs. Like 1-4 had a little similarity to them. But when they got started damn! They took off! I'm a little disappointed that Scott didn't expirtiment with his voice. He didn't really try to hit any other keys or any falseto. But he made up for it when ever he sang with power. // 10

Lyrics: First of all the lyrics to Great Divide and Broken brought me to God once again. Those songs showed me how to hence: Relearn Love. Those songs opened my heart up sooo big that the goosebumps were hurting me. Like a Million Knives Peircing My Skin. To this day now my love for god has never been stronger. I love every song and I could so easily listen to the album over and over again. Scott's voice was incrediable as always but like I said before a little disappointed. My favorite songs are Surrond me, Broken, and The Great Divide. I loved also how the lyrics fit so well with the music, great job. // 10

Overall Impression: I think it compares obvoiusely to creed cuz of his voice. But that's all I can right now figure out. To me the entire album was very impressive. I honeslty would say if I had to choose bewteen Creed, ALter Bridge, and Scott Stapp, I would choose Stapp. I think the only thing I hate is that he had only 10 songs. When I misplaced it I was worried and kept wanting to listen to it. So after about a month of searching I found it right there in my stereo! But if it got stolen I would so buy it again! // 10

The Great Divide Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 30, 2006

Sound: Although this is Scott Stapps solo album it still sounds like Creed. But it is still a good album and it has a really good sound to it. The music and the guitar is pretty good but it nowhere near matches the guitar playing of Mark Tremonti (have you heard Alter Bridge, the man shreds on it). I don't recall hearing anyone shredding on Stapp's album. // 8

Lyrics: Scott Stapp is an amazing singer and the lyrics he has written are still as good as his Creed days. He'll never lose that writing skill no matter what band he's in. // 9

Overall Impression: You can only compare this album to the three Creed albums as no other albums are even close to the quality and the individuality of Scott Stapp's singing or songwriting capabilities. The Great Divide hase to be my favourite song on the album. I love the guitar and them music in general of the album. The only thing I didn't like was the singing as it sounded similar to Creed but that can't be helped as that's the way he sings. If it were stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again. // 9

The Great Divide Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 24, 2005

Sound: I didn't know what to expect as I anticipated the release of The Great Divide. I finally heard the title track before the release and didn't care for it very much. Once I got the CD itself, I was presently suprised by some of the good songs. I personally like Hard Way, Surround Me and Broken. I feel like it is a weaker CD than what Creed would have put out. Scott Stapps voice does all the work once again. His voice is OK, but it did seem to be a lot smoother back in the old days. There doesn't seem to be any really great guitar work, in my opinion of the average listener, besides that of the dual-guitar opener of Reach Out. // 7

Lyrics: OK, but not very strong. Justify has some good imagery as does Surround Me and Broken is well written, yet simplistic. // 5

Overall Impression: I've seen these guys perform on television and they are not a band. Scott Stapp fortunately has a lot of stage presence, which is bringing these guys through. I really feel that once I go to one of his live shows, it will be more like a revival than a concert. I've been to a Creed concert and it was awesome, but I just don't think it will be anything like it once was without Tremonti beside Stapp ripping on the guitar. As a side note, Stapp and Tremonti wrote the music and lyrics for Creed. They were a team that balanced each other out at one time. Stapp wanted more poppish type songs and Tremonti wanted to get hard and dirty. In my opinion, I liked the CD of Alter Bridge better than Stapp's solo project because of the work put into every song. We'll see where it goes. // 6

The Great Divide Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 27, 2006

Sound: I read some of the reviews given for this album, and some of them are very negative. I am probably one of the biggest Creed fans alive today, but I have different beliefs about Scott Stapp than what I have read. I am a firm believer in trying your best, and also, the dare-to-be-different theory. It does sound a bit "Creed-ish," but I believe Scott is smart in realizing where his voice sounded best with which sound, so it isn't such a ludacris idea to try to continue the amazing recording work that only Scott himself can do. I also believe that some reviews I read in particular, are from very bitter people, about the whole Creed break-up ordeal. I am sympathetic to these feelings, but I believe in giving everyone a fair chance. I admit that at first, I didn't give Scott a chance and based a decision on that, claiming the album was garbage and that the song "The Great Divide" was the best thing on the album, which wasn't saying much. After I caught myself doing this, however, I tended to be a little more open minded and allowed myself to fully listen to the album and actually take in what he is trying to express. So now that I have seen this miscalculation in my own action, I must whole-heartedly admit that I do like the album alot. So anyone who can say that this is a bad album is being totally rediculous about the situation, and needs to step back and seriously consider why they feel this way about it. // 8

Lyrics: I think that the lyrics are a bit more of the same, but somewhat different, which also worked for Scott's vocal tone. His voice is inspiration to many, and also a musical trademark such as Steven Tyler's yell, or the undenyable unique guitar playing of Mark Tremonti himself. When you hear the voice, you automatically know who is singing the song. I think, which everything written is strictly "in my opinion", that the ability that Scott has to put his lyrics into music, and actually make it sound good, as well as great to listen to, is nothing short of phenomenal. I think that Scott has always been a wonderful artist, and I believe he will continue to do so. // 8

Overall Impression: I think the album is great as a whole, but if I had to choose certain songs, the ones that impressed me the most were; "Broken," "Surround Me," "Sublime" and "The Great Divide." I have to try not to compare this to other albums, simply because I believe that it wasn't meant to be compared to anything else and the artist wasn't trying to put himself out there to be better than everyone else. I believe that he was only trying to make an album that people would enjoy listening to, and to do his best with his new position in the musical media. Everyone asked, "What's Scott Stapp gonna do now?" Well, you got your answer. So I say, give it a chance then, as with anything else, if you dont like it, dont listen to it. // 8

The Great Divide Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 13, 2006

Sound: Sounded like dulled down Creed. The guitar playing suffered without Tremonti. As far as his singing is concerned, I think this is the worst album he has ever recorded. Maybe he meant to sound raspy and hoarse, or maybe it was the laryngitis he had, I don't know, but particularily in the song "Reach Out" it was just horrible. // 4

Lyrics: Almost every song sounded like he was whining and crying about creed breaking up which goes along with the title of the CD "The Great Divide." I know he denies this, but in my opinion, that's what it is. // 2

Overall Impression: Compared to what Alter Bridge has done (the former members of Creed, Brian Marshall, Mark Tremonti, Scott Phillips, with singer Myles Kennedy) is much better than what Stapp has done with "The Great Divide." Musically, the group has grown and improved upon what they were in Creed, while Stapp is just trying to recreate the Creed sound. There was no song that impressed me particularily, and if it were stolen or lost, I would not really care (besides, I still have my signed copy of One Day Remains by Alter Bridge). // 1

The Great Divide Reviewed by: Jondy, on october 23, 2006

Sound: The song the Great Divide is just awesome, I won't deny that. Justify is the next best song. Everything else just sucks. You know the main problem with the sound? Scott Stapp. It sounds like he sang 5 versions of the same song and layered them all at once. It sounds unnatural and crappy the way he does back up vocals for his own freakin voice. It's disgusting. The guitar is ok. Nothing ground breaking here. Basically they tried to copy Creed's grungy distortion, but it is not tremontiesque. // 2

Lyrics: Justify and the Great Divide have pretty lyrics, every other song is arrogant and/or corny. I've already filed my complaint about how they did Stapp's voice. His voice is ok for this style of music. The guitar complimented his voice well in Creed, but it just doesn't seem to work as well in this album. I would go into the hypocrisy, but it's really somewhat irrelevant to how good the CD is. // 2

Overall Impression: Two ok songs, the rest is bull crap. If you're looking for the next creed cd, you can forget it. It's not here. It sounds more like Creed than Alter Bridge, but Alter Bridge has more things you loved about Creed than this does imo. Great Divide and Justify are the only songs worth having off this. I would not replace it if it were stolen. // 1

More Scott Stapp reviews rating latest review