Do It Yourself Review

seahorses: Do It Yourself
Release Date: Jun 17, 1997
Label: Geffen
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Britpop, British Trad Rock
Determined to avoid the career-killing, time-consuming recording that plagued the Stone Roses' Second Coming, guitarist John Squire had the Seahorses record their debut album Do It Yourself within months of forming.
 9.9
 9.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Do It Yourself Reviewed by: Thechich, on march 06, 2007

Sound: So it was 1997, I had just taken up the guitar, and was quite happily listening to Oasis a lot (naturally) and then this came out in the summer. It's amazing! The band were formed by former 'Stone Roses' guitarist John Squire who is just an awesome guitarist. The sound is british Indie/Rock which was typical of that time and has some absolute classics. Look out for 'Blinded By The Sun' and 'Love is the Law' in particular. Considering Squire is such a great guitarist, he's only really let loose in a few of the songs, but when he gets going boy does he go! do make a point of checking out the 4:30 minute solo at the end of 'Love is the Law' which is frankly orgasmic and virtually untabbable. The album is a mix of more upbeat and slower songs all centred around great riffs. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good and very amusing in places. The band are clearly having a bit of fun with them for example "I can take you round the universe in a hotwired police car", and "strap on sally chases down the alley, we fear for our behinds". A myriad of insinuations and plain daftness mean that this is great fun to listen to. the lyrics all fit in great with the music, and it's a proper sing along album I find. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a brilliant album, above I was waxing lyricall about 'Love Is The Law' but there isn't a song on the album I dislike, and there are some great guitar solo's, for example 'Happiness Is Eggshaped' and 'Round The Universe'. I think that any guitarist will be able to appreciate this album, but you'll love it if you like Oasis, the Stone Roses, Hard-Fi, Ocean Colour Scene or Paul weller etc. Were it lost or stolen I would ofcourse buy this again. // 10

Comments