Through Tomorrow Review

5.9
 7.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Through Tomorrow Reviewed by: Battman1993, on august 31, 2011

Sound: When I was in Best Buy last year, I happened upon "Through Tomorrow", the debut album by Wichita, Kansas band Seasons After. I had heard their single, a cover Gerald McMann's classic "Cry Little Sister", so I bought the album. Once I sat down and listened to the album, I immediately came to the conclusion that this was a pretty damn good group. Their sound IMO is essentially a blend of Sevendust, A7X, FFDP, and old-school metal. Some people have classified them as Nu-Metal, but I don't see it. They have two guitarists in Chris Dawson and James Beattie that are IMO one of the better undiscoverd guitar duos in metal today. The riffs on the album sound a bit metalcore-ish at times, but that's in no way a bad thing. The only complaint is that the sound is sometimes a bit repetitive. However, this band certainly knows how to write a hooky song. The only evidence you need of that is 11:11 and the title track (two of the best songs on a great album). // 8

Lyrics: The singer on this album, Chris Schlichting, is no longer a member of Seasons After. After hearing him on this album, I was dissapointed that he is no longer a member. His voice is pretty good, and his lyrics are interesting. On some of the songs, I detected a bit of a religious undertone in the lyrics, but I don't have a problem with that as long as they don't get preachy, which doesn't happen on this album. Of course, the best song on this album ("Cry Little Sister") is a cover of a song from a vampire movie, so what do I know? Basically, I like Schlichting as a vocalist, I wish he was still in the band, and the lyrics are decent. // 7

Overall Impression: With "Through Tomorrow", Seasons After strike for the jugular right away. This is the sound of a band hungry to prove themselves. On "TT", they accomplish just that. The sound is more of a comptempory metal approach with metalcore flourishes. There's nothing here that will make you scream and run down the street in amazement, but there is nothing that will turn you away either. It's a solid debut, and it really sounds like Seasons After were given the creative freedom they deserve on "Through Tomorrow". I would buy it as soon as I could find it again if it were stolen/lost, and I'm anxiously waiting for the follow-up with their new singer Tony Roush. // 8

Comments