Parasite Review

8.3
 7.5
review (1) 18 comments vote for this album:
Parasite Reviewed by: xchaseedgex, on april 24, 2007

Sound: The overall sound omitted on Parasite is very impressing. The guitar work has always been among my favorite when it comes to grindcore with the eloquently over-the-top pinch harmonics, whammy dives, and sweeps. Drew (guitarist) never ceases to amaze me with anything he does, and he also throws in some softer parts in the songs which really brings the record together. The bass is very often unheard on this record but when witnessed, Travis makes good use of the six-string bass he wields and lets you know that bassists can still be technical. The drums are another shining point on this record. The overall technicality of the drummer isn't the highest I've heard in recent years, but it does rank quite high in my list. I think with Parasite, SYNT are reaching new heights of the grindcore genre. While staying in a fair area of what is already know to come from grind, they still manage to break new boundries in tech grind. // 9

Lyrics: Ah, the most controversial aspect of SYNT's newest offering. The singing. The lyrics encompass the typical death, blood, and love normally seen from genres like this. But, that doesn't necessarily mean they are good. The lyrics are usually right around a short paragraph in length and aren't really impressing or lack-luster. But the most talked about part with these new songs is the new singer. SYNT had to lose their previous, and much-loved singer half-way through getting ready for the new album and acquired the singer of ex-Flesh and Blood Robot. Fans of the old singer will tell you that they really don't enjoy the new at all. And fans of the new singer will tell you that the old singer didn't have as much to offer. While it is true that the new singer, Fox, does have more of a vocal range, from yelling, to extreme highs, and lows you would think that everything would sound very good, alas, it does not. The vocals are far too loud at times in my opinion and it can get a little annoying. While I do enjoy Fox's highs, his lows are a little typical and I was left wanting a little more. They really aren't as bad as I may make them sound but I'm just critical about small things, and the singing shouldn't really turn anyone off. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album was a great one. The album left me wanting more and feeling like I had no clue what had just happened to my ear drums over the past 20 minutes, which is hard for a band to do when you're into as much technical music as I am. My favorite songs on the album would have to be, Before I Die I'm Gonna F--k Me a Fish, And a Portable Death Ray, which was my favorite off of the old demo. The remakes of the old songs on this album are turned up to a new speed and level I thought unreachable and I was left utterly impressed. If you are into any form of Grind, I would highly suggest purchasing, or downloading this album. Even if you didn't like the old Demos they had out I would still tell you to buy this because they almost seem like a whole new band and have an added level of technicality added to their playing. // 9

More See You Next Tuesday reviews rating latest review