Karma And Effect Review

seether: Karma And Effect
Released: May 24, 2005
Genre: Rock
Styles: Post-Grunge, Alternative Metal
Karma And Effect doesn't widen the scope of post-grunge but stands up well as a standard bearer for modern hard rock.
 Lyrics: 9.8
 9.4
 9.6
 9.1
Karma And Effect Reviewed by: slipknot5556667, on july 06, 2005

Sound: What can I say? This album f--king rocks. I mean, Seether really turn a different turn on this one. Making it a hell of alot heavier and less melodic. Seether is probably thing best thing to come out of South Africa. I love how they used different pitch harmonics for it. Which tells you that they are using heavier strings now. 'cause you can't do a 4th fret harmonic on 9 or 10 guage strings. I give it a 5 for sound. It blows Disclaimer cout of the water and rips it to pieces! // 10

Lyrics: The lead singer (for the life of me, I can't remember his name) really put some thought into the lyrics. I think the other guys had a word in edge wise too. Singing about hard times an how they just don't give a s--t anymore. Kinda a Slipknot additude if you ask me. Thers alot more screaming on this album, along with melodic singing too. The words go freat with the music, they really spent time on getting it right and not just throwing it together like alot of bands and then hoping that it makes the radio. // 10

Overall Impression: I never really liked Seether that much before Karma And Effect, other hen maybe the song fine again. But Karma And Effect turned me over. I bought the CD a month ago and it still hasn't left my CD player. I'm gonna have to go out and buy it again because it's gonna wear out. If someone had stolen this CD, I would break his f--king neck and then take it back. The best songs on it are the first two. I always think that the first few songs are what grabs the listeners attention and these songs really did that. Go out and buy Karma And Effect. It's worth the money. // 10

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: Umair122504, on may 24, 2005

Sound: Wow. That's all I have to say. They have definetly matured as a band. They have more to them now than just power chords and barre chords. This CD is melodic and heavy at the same time. It's a masterpiece that will not leave any doubt in anyone's mind about Seether's talent. // 10

Lyrics: As always, Shaun Morgan has wrote some killer lyrics. The way he sings, the way he writes, it's just great. You can't find more honest lyrics than on this CD. For example "Tongue in my mouth is not for sale" is a slap in the face of people who asked them to do a poppy song Broken. Another example is "Scream if you hate my name 'cause I'll be where I fell". The way Shaun sings is another plus. He puts a lot of effort and emotion into it and it shows. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is great. I love everything about it and hate nothing about it. It has heavy stuff on it like Burrito and Because Of Me and some melodic stuff on it like Truth and Never Leave. There are small fills and mini solos in each song and it just gives the sound a little more twist. I absolutely love this album. If it was lost or stolen, hell yes I would buy it again. Karma & Effect picks up right where Disclaimer left. Seether is on their way to become one of the best bands of our time. // 10

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2005

Sound: Absolutely amazing, it is heavier and more melodic than Disclaimer or Disclaimer 2. Shaun and Pat have cooler guitar riffs and John's drum fills are sick. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have even more meaning than Disclaimer. Shaun is angry, and you can tell. The lyrics perfectly go with the songs too. And he hits every note (which he should). His singing style sounds like Kurt Cobain, and everyone loves kurt. // 10

Overall Impression: It beats the previous Seether release, and I personally believe it beats all the other releases that have come out in 2005. // 10

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2005

Sound: The band's sound and music has evolved so much from the days of Disclaimer I and II. Trust me, I have all 3 albums. Origionally slated to be "Cater To Cowards," the title "Karma And Effect" has much more of an odd name, giving the entire cd this effect of something different. And trust me, the CD is. Although the CD says there are only 13 songs, a quick examination after putting the CD in, you notice there are 14! It seems the 14th track is just them playing around, and it sounds really cool. They still use a lot of drop-D stuff; it doesn't bother now that they have expanded their playing range from more in-your-face to I-don't-give-a-s--t feeling. I love it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of Remedy are truely an attack at corporate hot-shots who think they own the world. Seether seems to be putting a lot of people in their place with this cd. Another song, The Gift, is touchy, emotionally, and it seems to be a healer if you like Seether's music (I should know, I purchased this CD the day it came out, the day after my g/f of several months decided to tell me she hated me). Shaun has come along way vocally and lyrically. I'm proud. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD has become probably my favorite, knocking out other wind-up artists Submersed, Alter Bridge, and the rest of the group, not to mention some of my other favorite. It's just the way the songs are written and played. It's not only enjoyible to listen to, but it's a roller-coaster of emotion packed into about an hour. "Remedy" and "The Gift" seem to stand out to me the most, although I enjoy the album as a whole. If stolen, I would go out and purchase it again if there was no chance of getting it back and causing as much physical pain to the person who stole it. // 10

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2005

Sound: Seether impressed me enough with their first album, and it was hard to think they could do much better. Well they proved me wrong. Karma And Effect is incredible. The guitar riffs, the energy and the sound, it is worth every penny spent. // 10

Lyrics: Shaun outdid himself on this album. The lyrics are witty, smart, and leave you saying wow. With alot of bands you can almost fill in the blanks with what they are going to say based on the rhyme scheme. Not with Karma And Effect. They blend different words and make it all make perfect sense and sound great. // 10

Overall Impression: This album doesn't really compare to alot of other albums in my opinion, and that is what makes it so great. They are able to rock out crazy on one song, and then keep it rather mellow, yet full with energy on the next song. They did an amzing job on their follow up to Disclaimer II. It somehow outdoes their previous album which I thought would have been impossible. Unbelievable album from an incredible band. As I said, definitely worth every cent! // 10

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 01, 2005

Sound: I have loved Seether since there first album Disclaimer hit the shelves. And I can tell you this album is above and beyond what I ever expected. The sound of the schecter when Shaun and Pat hit some of those notes is amazing. They combine light soul crushing music with hard heart pumping rock and it couldn't have come out any better in this CD. // 10

Lyrics: Shaun Morgan always pours his heart into his music and he is not a fake. These lyrics are meaningful and deep. "Goodbye cruel world, last to see me drowned." I have tried to write many songs with meaning but still when I hear him sing these I wonder how do the come up with this. // 10

Overall Impression: I am a huge Seether fan and always will be. Maybe I'm a bit skeptical but there are a lot of people that havent heard of them. I think Seether is one of the most all around skilled bands in music today. They have it all, great lyrics, talented musicians, the will, their truely amazing. I only have one question and that is what did ever happen to the drummer with the dreadlocks? // 10

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2005

Sound: Seether is probably the best band around right now. Both of their albums have had an amazing mix of sounds and tones. They are the only band I know of who can go from a softer emotional sound to one of the heaviest around, and they do it seamlessy within the song. Morgan's singing also conveys emotion better than anyone since Cobain. Adding Pat Callahan on guitar has added a sense of harmony and complexity to the songs that was not there in any of their others. // 10

Lyrics: Morgan's lyrics are quite possibly the best lyrics in any music these days. Once again I must compare him with Cobain for being able to show pure, raw emotion in songs better than nearly anyone else. The lyrics go perfectly in all of the songs, and no one could sing them better than Morgan. // 10

Overall Impression: Every song on this album is worth the price of the entire thing. I listen to these songs and just hope that I can write something the is half as good as these. Though my favorite tracks are Remedy and The Gift the rest all follow in a very close second. If someone stole I would have to give the a severe beating and follow that up with some very harsh verbal abuse. // 10

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2005

Sound: From an audio stand point this album really holds its own. There is an even mixture of aggressive and slower songs which are blended together well throughout the album. The only real weak point I see with Seether in this album is the lead guitar. The solos seem a little held back and uncertain. The rhythm guitar is great and the album is full of cool riffs. The low end is right on track. The drums and bass are awesome. If you're looking for a good versatile rock record, I highly reccomend this one. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are well written and sung well. Not full of cuss words and profanity like alot of stuff out right now. Just good lyrics that really fit into the song perfectly. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this album is well worth the money and will have some shelf life in your CD collection (you won't get tired of it quickly). For these guys to crawl out from under a sinlge (Broken) and produce a record like this, my hat goes off to them. // 10

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 18, 2005

Sound: Although I loved Disclaimer 1 and 2, this album somewhat disapointed me. I like Seethers hard rock sound, but their mellow sound is a bit weak. Vocals are amazing in any form; hard rock, metal and Nirvana style. They rock harder than any band out there when they want to. But on this album they toned it down and made a softer album. I like it but it could have been much better. I think it would have been imposible to top Disclaimer II's sound, but they came fairly close with this one. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are always great with Seether. I loved the lyrics here. // 10

Overall Impression: Tracks 1, 2, 3, 5, 9 and 10 rock hard as s--t. The rest is a little softer than I expected. Although good, I like music I can put on at a party and see a few people start swingin and moshin. So over all I really liked it, but it could have been a tad bit harder for my taste. // 8

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2005

Sound: Seether gives you the taste of heavy licks and deep riffs that any rock fan wants to hear. While maintaining some sort of flow and variation throughout each song. Their songs never get boring and there lyrics are clever as hell. // 10

Lyrics: I've always pumped up Seether and they sit up there as one of my top 5 bands of all time with there recent release. I'm a fan and not going any where. When is the Canadian tour ever gonna happen? I'll be there. // 10

Overall Impression: I couldn't disagree more about people saying it's not heavy enough. Just because a band produces some songs that make them money (radio tunes) doesn't make them too mellow. Great marketing, real fans understand that it's simply an appealing way to attrack to all listeners. When my girlfriend and I can listen to the same CD there is something done right. Seether you got the job done. Even though I wish I could always get the heavy and not the weak, I understand the purpose. // 10

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: Bristlehead, on july 07, 2005

Sound: Once I heard the opening riff on "Because Of Me," I knew it was going to be that classic Seether sound all over again. I love how basically every song (with the exception of maybe "Remedy") is done in a live-style where there's two guitars, one on the left and one on the right, bass, and drums only. That's it. And even with that, the album's sound totally grabbed me and never let go. // 10

Lyrics: Shaun's lyrics always impress me, mainly because I can't write lyrics worth a s--t. But what really impressed me about this album was the fact that it wasn't parental advisory. The first day I got it, all I did was search around the CD to see where the sticker was, but it was never there. So then I opened up the booklet and read all of the lyrics, and there wasn't a single cuss word. Compared to Seether's last album, I couldn't believe it. No, there isn't more screaming on this album, but there's enough. Not as much anger, but it's really good to listen to something with not a lot of profanity. Shaun always rocks at singing of course, I wish I could do it like him. // 10

Overall Impression: Everyone's saying that Seether is just a second-coming of Nirvana, but that's just shit. I love the way that they sound and I love every minute of the CD. If it was stolen you'd bet I'd replace it. I'd even buy two and give it to some dumbass who hasn't heard of them. // 10

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: ArtoissorryFLIP, on july 13, 2005

Sound: For anyone who doesn't know, Seether are originally from South Africa, and they used to be "Saron Gas." I have the album which is now out of print, and since that album, their sound has really changed. They used to be heavier and Shaun used to scream a lot more. Karma And Effect is not too much different than Disclaimer or Disclaimer 2. Except for some select songs that are heavier. I like just about every song off this album and if you liked either Disclaimer record, you will love this one. // 10

Lyrics: Shaun is great at writing lyrics with alot of emotions, and he seems pretty mad in this album. Some of my favorite lyrics are from the songs: "World Falls Away," "Never Leave," "Tongue," "Burrito" and "The Gift." The way Shaun sings these songs is amazing and his voice sounds like Kurt Cobain's. When Shaun is not singing, he has a heavy accent, and it's hard to believe its the same person. The vocals are even better than on Disclaimer. // 10

Overall Impression: There are really no bad songs on this albulm but my least favorite is probably "I'm The One." But thats my opinion. Mostly every song has an unbelievable chorus, great melodies. Much more melodic than previous albums. Just listen to the songs I listed in the above section and you will see what I mean. That is why this album is so great, very catchy songs. Great riffs, especially in "The Gift," "Tongue" and "Because Of Me." "Plastic Man" is also a nice acoustic song. Overall a perfect rating. Mind blowing CD, buy it! // 10

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 12, 2005

Sound: Wow. Seether is my favorite band. I bought Disclaimer back in '02 and it's my favorite CD of all time. I still listen to it frequently. I was so excited to pick up Karma And Effect but, when I got through with listening I was utterly disappointed. People have been saying that the songs are heavier, what are you smokin'? Disclaimer I has this CD waxed. I still haven't given up on seether. Wind-up screwed them over pretty bad so I'm expecting a new CD from a new record label. But again, I was ashamed to hear the sound. // 4

Lyrics: Shaun Welgemoed is flat out amazing. There's just nothing else to say. Even through the profanity-free lyrics, the words still touch me. He might just be the best of the decade so far. // 10

Overall Impression: I love Seether, do not get me wrong, but I was literally crying while listening to this album. It seems poppy. I hear a few radio hits on here and that was never what seether was about. There are alot more ballads on here, the songs don't flow, it's just a mess. Hard hitting riffs and kickass sounds start the song but then the chorus always lets down. Please get off of wind-up and go somewhere else! // 6

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: benjifreak07, on november 26, 2005

Sound: I first discovered Seether about a year ago when they did the song "Broken" with Amy Lee: it was awesome! First of I love most rock bands but you know when that one band comes on and your heart starts pumping wildly and you get that surge of energy? Well this one did it for me. I also love it if you listen closely Shaun kinda sounds like Kurt Cobain the way his voice is it just has that really awesome grungy rocky manly don't mess with me type of voice! It drives me nuts! // 10

Lyrics: I really think that a lot of people can realate to a few of the songs. I said earlier how I love Shaun's voice but I love the way the music and the words match up and sound perfect I think by far this is a classic in the making and I hope other people share my views. Of all my CD's this one is my favorite I got it in May or the third day it came out as soon as I got it I put it in my cd and it hasn't came out its all I listen to. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that a lot of "rock" fans still haven't discovered this album it's one of those rarities that everyone who listens to them just loves them I have burnt endless copies for friends, relatives, and aquantances. I love the remedy it makes me go crazy it's wonderful to say the least. theres only one thing that I hate about it, theres only 14 songs I wish there were more. If it were stolen I would definately buy another copy or maybe even 2! // 10

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: aenimafist, on may 23, 2008

Sound: Nu metal seems to be all about tone. These types of bands try to make their sound as crisp, sharp and heavy as possible. I must say that the boys in this band have one of the best toned guitar sounds of all nu metal bands. They won't ever beat Machine Head's tone but it is still pretty damn good. Seether comes across to me as a band that would be more successful as a non-mainstream band if they had not put themselves on the radio. They do some cool stuff with their music and they could be kind of like Mnemic in that non-mainstream nu metal way, even for a drop-low-string band. // 9

Lyrics: We all know that Shawn Morgan has been dating Amy Lee from Evanescence for a long time. Since Shawn went into drug rehab he has been writing about her a lot in his words. I'd say about half of these songs revolve around this topic and it starts to get a little boring after a while. But with song lyrics like those of Remedy and Burrito, a break is brought forth for those who grow weary of Shawn's lovesongs. // 9

Overall Impression: I put this CD in my boombox once and didn't take it our for a few days. It kept my interest for a while, though I started to get back into my extreme metal music more. Nu metal isn't really a favorite genre of mine but I still understand what goes into it: drop-low-string tuning, vocals about hating people, some swearing and tone-crunching. For a nu metal album, this one isn't bad. It would definately not be at the top of my list but would probably make the top ten. // 9

Karma And Effect Reviewed by: ChayceDavis#1DD, on may 24, 2012

Sound: This album is a pretty good breakthrough for Seether. The band has a multitude of sounds in this album, such as acoustic guitars, Wah Wah effects on "The Gift", and Distortion and overdrive on "Remedy". I don't believe that there is any story associated with the album. Just a good old rock album if ya ask me. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just amazing, in the songs "Remedy", "Truth", "Tongue", "The Gift", and "Plastic Man". All the lyrics in the songs seem to fit like a puzzle piece. Like I said on the review for "One Cold Night" Shaun Morgan has "The Voice" he can be melodic or scream like a banshee. // 10

Overall Impression: It compares to any heavy metal album you've probably heard before, just better! I personally like all of the songs on the album. They're all good. I love that it's a Seether album! If it was stolen, I would buy it again. Truly an album to hold on to. // 10

More Seether reviews rating latest review
+ Isolate And Medicate 6.9 07/08/2014