The Fire Review

senses fail: The Fire
Released: Oct 26, 2010
Genre: Emo/Post-Hardcore
Label: Vagrant Records
This is not an album that deserves any accolades. It were a movie, it would win a Raspberry.
 6.4
 5.4
 7.4
The Fire Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 26, 2010

Sound: Senses Fail's sound is akin an art student who, upon discovering' watercolours, shouts Eureka' and proceeds to proclaim all sorts of nonsense: none of which is taken seriously. Only I'm not sure if this tired effort shall be panned by other reviewers. Why are bands, mindlessly lumped into the emo or post-hardcore genre, given licence to self-reproduce? The Fire sounds like the homogenous reproductive process of some mundane bacteria. It's irrelevant as to how raw' or how emotional' frontman Buddy Nielsen sounds when he screams, or how biting' the riffs and bass lines are: this is a boring band. It makes buying emo records a drawn out, futile process of selection. It could be how the clichd songSaint Anthonyhas screams in all the obvious places, or how Safe House has the same melody as every other emo song out there, but whatever it is, there is no place for this type of effort in music. It is abhorrent that a band should be allowed to put out press releases describing a forthcoming album as intense' and bold', when so much of what Senses Fail record is geared to sell records to an existing fan base. It shouldn't make it past that. That said, we shouldn't discard some of the good production techniques on show. // 5

Lyrics: I've gotta start livin', cause my life's passin' by, go the crooned vocals of Landslide. It's boring, it's redundant, and it certainly isn't intense. Ever since Taking Back Sunday used, If you slit my throat, with my one, last, dying breath, I'd apologise for bleeding on your shirt! I've felt that an emo band should either be more daring, or at least equally as clichd as this. That said, at least there's a positive element to the lyrics described above. I just don't see them gaining any awards for poetry. // 4

Overall Impression: The Fire isn't the metaphorical masterpiece it was meant to be, but an album of transition. If it had been painted accordingly, I wouldn't complain nearly as much. The fact that it has been portrayed as the culmination of Senses Fail's preceding albums riles me, and it should rile you too. Nielsen might call it an album of hope and optimism but, in truth, it sounds more like a band finding their feet after facing the problems they have faced in recent years, such as the departure of several band members. Let's hope that Senses Fail's next album is portrayed as the culmination of the band's preceding albums, because it is so. // 6

- Sam Agini (c) 2010

The Fire Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2010

Sound: As a huge fan of Senses Fail since LIEY, I was more than a little excited for this release. However to my dismay, I was disappointed. I found that the CD really didn't flow and was very repetitive, sounding very similar guitar wise to songs off their previous releases. The CD starts off with "The Fire", and it was easily one of the best songs off the album, catchy lyrics and nice guitar. Other honourable mentions are "Safe House", "Headed West", "Lifeboats" and "Hold On", which I found was an excellent song to end on. The other tracks all seem very out place and I couldn't help but feel deja vu because the riffs are basically exactly the same as some songs of Still Searching and Life is Not a Waiting Room. I could barely sit through "New Year's Eve" which is in my opinion one of the worst songs theyve written, mainly because of the lyrics, which I'll talk about soon. Overall, I found less than half the songs on this release actually likeable, but of the ones I liked, I loved. I couldve done without the others though. // 7

Lyrics: Now the lyrics are what really brought down the album. They're cliche, repetitive and hardly creative and meaningful. Buddy's been screaming about his father and lack of belief for 8 years and it's starting to get old. Though the songs I mentioned before, I did like the lyrics, but as far as variety goes, there isnt much. It's basically the same song just with different guitar arrangements. And the band really overused the same word. New Year's Eve was said in maybe 3 different songs. "The storm hangs like an axe over my head", "Like a hurricane I'm always given a new name", "I've gotta stop living like a tornado" I mean what is with this guy and natural disasters?! He's used floods, landslides, tidal waves, volcanos, basically every single natural disaster in all the songs. It felt stale to begin with and in most tracks, all I can think is "gee I feel like I've heard this before..". This isn't the case in all the songs, and some lines are catchy but I just felt like the repetition was way too noticeable and really brought down the record. // 4

Overall Impression: Overall, I'm torn. I liked some, hated some. As far as a record goes I think it was ok but compared to Senses Fail other albums, it feels like a step back. The loss of Heath Saraceno was noticeable too. The album seemed less harmonic and the sound that they'd built up with SS and LINAWR seemed lost in the ether. I really hope they improve with the next release but I sure as hell won't be first in line to buy it. // 6

More Senses Fail reviews rating latest review