Harakiri Review

serj tankian: Harakiri
Released: Jul 10, 2012
Genre: Hard Rock, Art Rock, Progressive Rock, Experimental
Label: Reprise, Serjical Strike
In Serj's third solo attempt, he comes out with his best release yet. With soaring vocals and beautiful instrumentals, Serj creates an album unlike anything that he has made before.
 8.5
 7.9
review (1) 25 comments vote for this album:
Harakiri Reviewed by: Potato1029, on august 23, 2012

Sound: 01. "Cornucopia" - A good opener that sets the pace for the entire album. 02. "Figure It Out" - A fast track with very System-ish riffs. 03. "Ching Chime" - In my opinion the best song on the album. Great instrumentals and vocal work make this one of Serj's best songs to date. 04. "Butterflies" - Another good song, but nothing that really stands out. 05. "Harakiri" - Another very good song off of the album. This song is more focused on Serj's vocal abilities than others. 06. "Occupied Tears" - Another brilliant track. Serj uses his soaring vocals to create a nearly flawless track. 07. "Deafening Silences" - My least favorite track off of "Harakiri". It is slow and I found it boring at times. 08. "Forget Me Knot" - A nice sentimental song. A good change of pace. 09. "Reality TV" - This was the hidden jem for me. Great relevant lyrics with brilliant vocal work. 10. "Uneducated Democracy" - Another fast song, with driving riffs, but not as good as "Figure It Out". 11. "Weave On" - An average closer to the album. // 9

Lyrics: Serj Tankian has always been known for his deep, poetic-style lyrics, and that doesn't change here. However, sometimes his lyrics are overly cryptic and the listener does not receive the message Serj is trying to send. Overall, very good lyrics with a deep meaning. // 9

Overall Impression: In Serj's third solo attempt, he comes out with his best release yet. With soaring vocals and beautiful instrumental, Serj creates an album unlike anything that he has made before. The album has some absolutely spectacular tracks ("Ching Chime", "Occupied Tears", etc.) and some not so good tracks ("Deafening Silences", "Weave On", etc.) However it is a very good album and definitely worth a purchase. If I lost this album, I would definitely buy a new one. // 9

More Serj Tankian reviews rating latest review