Animosity Review

8.4
 8.7
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Animosity Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 01, 2004

Sound: Ok, obviously Sevendust has an agressive sound. I like this album because of its depth and consistency. I like some songs more than others, but it's a CD that I can listen to straight through without skipping any songs. Morgan Rose is an incredible drummer, and contributes greatly to the sound by putting out interesting abstract beats instead of the normal 2 and 4 rock beats. That's another thing that I like about the sound of this CD, is that it goes outside of the box. Clint Lowery is the same way; very imaginitive, and impressive musicianship. Also, if you've never heard Sevendust before, Lajon Witherspoon's voice is the soul of the music. It has a lot of character, and is very emotional, yet agressive. He's a good screamer, but he can also tone it down and sing very well, like in Angel's Son. // 10

Lyrics: Like the other guy said, a lot of swearing, but it seems to be isolated only in a few songs, like Crucified, and T.O.A.B. To be honest with you, I don't pay much attention to the lyrics except on the slow songs (X-mas Day, Angel's Son) which are very heartfelt songs with good lyrics. I mostly just pay attention to the music. Like I said before, Lajon has great versatility, and it goes well with the rest of the band. // 8

Overall Impression: Out of this one and Seasons, this one is by far my favorite. Much more consistency (Although Seasons is a good CD as well) It's going to be hard to pick the best songs, but I'll try. Angel's Son is obviously one of the best songs. Some other good ones that come to mind are Praise, Beautiful, Redefine, Trust, and Dead Set. So many good ones. I love pretty much everything about this album. The only drawback is the swearing, but that is a part of who Sevendust is apparently. At least it doesn't dominate the whole CD. I have the CD saved onto my computer, so if I lose it, I can just make another copy, but if I didn't have it on there, and it was lost or stolen, I would definately buy it again. // 10

Animosity Reviewed by: intoallrock, on october 24, 2003

Sound: Basic Sevendust. Nu-metal, rap-rock, acoustic ballads (a lot of those unfortunately). It's without a doubt the weakest Sevendust album, but I still like it. // 8

Lyrics: As you know, with 7dust they have a lot of rap vocals and incredible singing. The lyrics are basically about betrayal (take T.O.A.B. for example) etc. There's a lot of useless swearing on this record (you know, when it really doesn't enhance the song) which is a definite minus. Don't get me wrong though, the softer songs such as "Live Again" are great meaningful songs. // 6

Overall Impression: I'm not too sure I would go out and buy the c.d. if it was stolen or lost. I would probably just go out and buy Seasons instead (which I hear is very good). If you're collecting 7dust albums, buy this. If you're not, don't. It's okay, but there's better stuff out there. // 6

More Sevendust reviews rating latest review
+ Seasons 8.8 11/14/2011