Seasons Review

9.8
 7.8
reviews (4) 1 comment vote for this album:
Seasons Reviewed by: jonesmethod, on october 03, 2003

Sound: This album contains all the elements of previous Sevendust albums: tuned-down power chords put into a different rhythm every song, deep bass, soulful vocals, and break the skins drumming. this album is heavy like all Sevendust's previous albums. They don't really progess in sound, but drummer Morgan Rose calls it a "recovery record." This album is heavy and ass-kicking from start to finish, with the exception of the "Skeleton Song," which is nice change to an acoustic ballad from the melodic hard rock. Most songs follow the standard Sevnedust song structure with a power chord riffage verse to the vocally melodic chorus, with occasional changes, complemented by Morgan Rose's amazing drumming, who is easily one of the best in the rock scene today. Even though there is no progression in sound, it still sounds great. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on "Seasons" are about love, loss, hurt, and overcoming, which are all feelings felt by all band members. The lyrics are straight forward, and are drawn from previous experiences, especially from when Lajon Witherspoon lost his brother in 2002. The lyrics coincide nicely with the music: a heavy verse with aggressive vocals, and a melodic vocal chorus. Lajon Witherspoon is a hell of a singer, also one of the best in the rock scene nowadays. His vocals are also complemented by Rose's occasional screams to further the heavy sound of the music. In mosts of the choruses backup is sung by guitarist Clint Lowery. All three have talent in this department, especially Lajon. // 10

Overall Impression: Comparing "Seasons" to other 7dust albums, it sounds most like "Animosity", which has that melodic hard rock sound. Sevendust is one of the most underrated bands in rock today. Most impressive songs are, "Enemy", "Broken Down", and "Skeleton Song." I like the fact that Sevendust has always stayed true to their sound and they haven't sold out. The album is for sure worth buying, and you should buy it to support Sevendust, who is very underrated. // 8

Seasons Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 21, 2004

Sound: By far the best Mixing that has been done of their 4 albums. Nice creativeness to the music and great timing. The only problem is the preditability in the progression of the song. Most of the chrous' sound the same. But these sounds are so well written you probably wont mind. // 10

Lyrics: It's great to see with every album the song writing just gets better and better. These lyrics are much easier to comprehend sooner then that of animosity, and they are put together better as well. // 10

Overall Impression: One of the best CD's of 2003, no doubt. Sevendust may never get their due, but they have the respect of people who know anything about music. The first album Sevendust and 2nd Home are a somewhat different kind of Sevendust, still good, but a little raw. If your new to Sevendust, I would recommend buying Animosity first. It's a kick ass album, then buy Seasons. To see the growth is amazing, and these are definitely the 2 best albums. // 10

Seasons Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 27, 2004

Sound: These guys are bad-ass and always will be. They have impressed me with each album that they put out. Sevendust was good, then Home was even better, then Animosity was incredible, and Seasons was superior. They rock like nobody's business. They have an intense sound that is all their own. They are very melodic metal. Stuff you can sing to, but still rock out to. Very listenable. A must have album. // 10

Lyrics: Lajon is one of the best singers out there, period. Lajon can really belt out the notes. Just short of perfection. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an excellent album. Very close in style to Animosity. Both of those albums are incredible. I really like Gone, a song about being on the road, also, Honesty, and last but not least, face to face. Face to face is about hatred toward Dez Fafara? Or? This album doesn't have a bad song on it. What I love about this is that this is Sevendust. There is no surprises. This is exactly what I expected. I listened to it constantly on their website before it was available to buy. Then I bought 2, just like Animosity 2 of them. There is nothing to hate on this album if you enjoy listening to Sevendust. If this were lost or stolen I would definitely buy again, but I have 2 copies. // 10

Seasons Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 14, 2011

Sound: The music they played on this album is some of their best. The album goes from classic heavy Sevendust to more mellow music and even an acoustic song. But don't be fooled, this is still a very heavy album. The album was dedicated to the lead singers brother and to the lead singer of Drowning Pool. There isn't a single song on the album that doesn't rock your face off. And if you're listening to the album and it isn't heavy enough for your taste, wait 'til the last song. Doesn't start out entirely heavy but I promise it won't disappoint. // 10

Lyrics: The acoustic song was written by the lead singer for his brother after he was killed in a gang-related drive-by shooting. The emotion in the song is incredible. The lyrics to all of the songs are great, as always with Sevendust. I enjoyed how real all of it was. // 10

Overall Impression: I loved this album. This isn't their heaviest album, not by far since "Alpha" came out, but it's still great. I've never heard a Sevendust song I didn't like, and this album is a big reason for that. I recommend you buy the unedited version because the editing is rather obvious when they cuss. // 10

More Sevendust reviews rating latest review
+ Cold Day Memory 8.7 06/14/2010