The Great Escape Review

seventh wonder: The Great Escape
Released: Dec 3, 2010
Genre: Progressive Metal
Label: Lion Music
"The Great Escape" is the 4th studio album from the Swedish progressive metal band Seventh Wonder. This album is an excellent example of progressive metal.
 9.4
 9.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
The Great Escape Reviewed by: Tbarwildman, on july 05, 2011

Sound: "The Great Escape" is the 4th studio album from the Swedish progressive metal band Seventh Wonder. The album gets its title from the track with the same name, a 30-minute mini opera based on the poems "Aniara" by Swedish Nobel Price winner Harry Martinsson. This album is an excellent example of progressive metal. The guitar and bass work is both beautiful and complex though the shredding can feel unnecessary and boring at times. Especially on the single "Alley Cat". The music itself often wanders off into odd time signatures and there is a great variation in the music; heavy riffing, epic symphonies and powerful ballads. It also contains bits of Swedish folk music ("King Of Whitewater"). // 8

Lyrics: Tommy Karevik is definatly the star of this album. His vocals are very clean and powerful with lots of emotion, his high notes send shivers down my spine and so does the beautiful choirs. I read that mr Karevik had problems with his voice during the recording but that is not something that is noticeable. // 10

Overall Impression: The album is probably the best progressive metal album I've ever heard, and I've been a fan of progressive metal for over 15 years! It compares very well to (even surpases) contemporaries such as Dream Theater, Andromeda and Pagan's Mind. The most impressive song on this album is the 30 minute long title track "The Great Escape". I love the arrangements, the choirs and the lyrics. The only thing that disturbs me on this album is forced shredding. // 9

More Seventh Wonder reviews rating latest review