Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols Review

sex pistols: Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols
Released: October 1977
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk, British Punk
Never Mind The Bollocks perfectly articulated the frustration, rage, and dissatisfaction of the British working class.
 Lyrics: 8.8
 9.1
 8.9
 9.2
Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 09, 2004

Sound: The sound is great. It's brit punk. It was in the 70's. I like this type of punk more than most fans of actual punk. The main music style is 70's punk/pop. A lot of power chords, no innovation. They came just about the same time as The Clash, they just reached success faster. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good, but definitely not the greatest. The "melody" is not important as its punk rock, and old brit punk at that, so even less of a factor. John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) sounds annoyed and angry, and he was at that time. The Sex Pistols story is an interesting one, and allows you too see why this was considered good back then, because of what was going on at the time. Political turmoil and other illegitimate government associations and politicans, Margaret Thatcher and the likes, affected the people and that's what the Brit punks made music about. You have to appreciate that to appreciate the lyrics, and then based on that, appreciate why Lydon sings in the manner he does. Take my word for it, I read a giant long book on them to fully understand what the Sex Pistols were about. If you don't know what those years were about, you probably won't fully appreciate John Lydon's vocals, lyrics, or even style. // 8

Overall Impression: As the other person who rated this CD doesn't know much about punk, I shall tell you that the vocals are good. Johnny Rotten, love him or hate him, has annoying vocals but that's what most poeople who appreciate punk like. And you certainly don't have to have a nice melody, or well, you'd be someone who likes Good Charlotte, or Simple Plan, or other MTV related "punk." This is one of the first punk bands ever to reach a high level of success, and this record is the reason. The 70's were filled with boredom. Most impressive songs, "God Save The Queen," "Bodies," and "Anarchy In The UK." As well, I like "New York." I love how something with simple power chords can sound so catchy and fit in with a song. I'd buy it again and its definitely worth buying if you're a punk guru or have a collection of old punk CDs that you need to add to. Go buy this album if you like punk rock, you can kind of see into how Britain was in the 70's, in comparison to our generation now. // 10

Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols Reviewed by: mon_the_fraser, on november 19, 2007

Sound: For me the best punk album of all time. This is a truly outstanding album by the first and, in my opinion the greatest punk band ever. The album has a strong guitar "attack", a word used too often but in this case most definetly true. It is violent, vicious but at the same time brilliant. With this album it is not about one aspect of the music, like the guitar or the lyrics it is about the experience. // 10

Lyrics: Jonny Rotten and Glen Matlock's lyrics are either good or bad on this record. Songs like "God Save the Queen" or "Anarchy In The UK" have outstanding lyrics but other tracks like "Bodies" are really bout nothing. The lyrics are on this album sometimes a jest like on "EMI" were Lydon and co. attack the record company and sometimes on serious matters like politics. John Lydon's voice is not one of the greatest or most melodic but it serves it's purpose and adds to the whole experiance. // 10

Overall Impression: I feel bad for the Pistols as if they had coninued with Glen Matlock instead of taking Sid Vicious then they could still be going today with new material (althought they are playing a bout of re-union shows). This album is one of the most rare kinds of album. One that all the tracks stand out and appeal. This is a truly special album and of the defining of the time. A must have for any collection. I have given the album 10 out of 10 although I would have given the album 8 for lyrics. But you cannot rate this album on one component and the overall must be a 10. // 10

Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols Reviewed by: Mr Pagan, on november 22, 2007

Sound: Well what can I say? Amazing sound and album. They bring aggression and in your face punk to every song on this album. This is their early work when Glen Mortlock was still in the band which does mean that the songs are generally better organised than their later music. This is great old fashioned punk with a one of a kind style to it; no one could top it. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are unique to say the least. They all bring their own different style to each song with classics such as 'God Save The Queen' and also 'Anarchy In The UK' it is easy to know what john lydon is talking about. With the others it is different you get to know their attitude towards the government and public in the '70s which is quite interesting in it's own way. John lydon also sounds very angry and aggressive in most of the songs which does definitely bring its own special touch. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is unique and on of a kind. No artist/s could create the same attitude that they did. The best songs are definitely self-explanatory but I also love submission, the drum and bass work extremely well together creating a different feel to the song. This is possibly the best album ever made, definitely the best punk album created because of the attitude they create which will never be created again in the same way. // 10

Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2004

Sound: The music on this CD is very simple. Max. 5 chords per song. They are not as talented as the Clash and never will be. The main music genre composed on this CD is punk rock (or alternative as some may prefer). The simplicity comes in on tracks such as "Liar" and "Bodies". Although it may be very simple stuff. It does have some enjoyment w/ elemnts uch as breif solos, slides, and rebellious sing-along tracks. // 6

Lyrics: Johnny Rotten is a very annoying singer and it shows all the way on the tracks "Holidays In The Sun", "God Save The Queen", "Anarchy In The U.K." and "Liar". He is a horrid singer with barely any talent. No melody whatsoever. He made me realize I could sing. The lyrics clear very little of the spaces. Ok lyrics on "God Save The Queen" Horrible lyrivs on practically everything else escpecially "Bodies". // 6

Overall Impression: Battle of the Punks: The Clash > Sex Pistols, The Ramones > Sex Pistols, The Damned > Sex Pistols, Rancid < The Sex Pistols, NOFX < Sex Pistols. Don't buy it. Bad CD. // 6

Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2005

Sound: Out of all the punk bands, the Sex Pistols have one of the most original sounds. As opposed to cheap imitations of the Ramones that dominate the genre today, making it as processed as the music punk is supposed to be against. The Pistols' sound is characterized by Lydon's sarcastic if a bit whiny (better than modern punk, at least) singing, Jones's raw guitar power cords and addictive solos, Cook's underrated drumming, and well the bass could have been better (just quiet backup for the guitar). But it works. It fully captures the dissatisfaction with the music industry at the time (mid-late '70s). // 8

Lyrics: This is what makes the Pistols better than much of punk. The lyrics reflect rebellion against the entire society at the time. Granted the rhyming isn't very well done very well in some cases ("Get It" and "Passerby"?) but it gets the point across and stresses dissonance from everything else. The finest is in God Save The Queen with it's excellent use of satire and honesty. Lydon's tone of voice fits every song. As I've said, he's whiny, but not to the point of current MTV pop bands singing about how miserable their life of fame is. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't compare it to other artists really. It sounds different than every band I have ever heard. Ever. Easily my favorite band. I love everything about it, except for the annoying outro on "Problems." Anyone with a broad familiarity with different rock genres would love this alblum. If you don't like this alblum, it's because you don't like the genre of the Pistols. And the genre of the Sex Pistols is the Sex Pistols. // 10

Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 24, 2005

Sound: Compared to most punk albums (Bad Brains - who still kick ass), this has very good sound quality. The guitar has a great overdriven and raw sound to it, with some of the most catchy and best riffs the Pistols ever had (Pretty Vacant, Submission). The drumming is underrated, great drum rolls and fills here and there. The bass is good enough, Sid Vicious is a decent player (for how long he had been playing not much at all!) and it keeps up. The vocals are very good (IMO) and I love the pissed off sound they're going for. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are underrated in my opinion. Sex Pistols wrote some good lyrics such as Holidays In The Sun and God Save The Queen. I like Johnny Rotten's voice alot. The voice and lyrics are very good for this music. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of the most classic punk albums ever. It's in the same category as Ramones, London Calling, Damned Damned Damned, and Bad Brains. The most popular songs are obviously God Save The Queen and Anarchy In The UK, but the standout songs are probably Pretty Vacant, Holidays In The Sun, Problems and Submission. Sex Pistols kick ass! // 10

Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 14, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is like no other. The Sex Pistols define punk here, with angry, snarled lyrics, punding drums and powerchord guitar. Nothing even comes close to sounding like the Pistols, and nothing ever will. Pistols rule. // 10

Lyrics: Johnny Rotten has the iconic punk voice. He's a terrible singer, but quite frankly doesn't give a toss and because of this manages to sound good. The lyrics are very clever, sometimes hidden away in the energy of the song (God Save The Queen, for example). The lyrics fit well with the whole 'utterly pissed off' feel of the album, and compliment the instruments perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: The Sex Pistols are and always will be the best punk band ever. The Clash, The Ramones, Bad religion etc are all amazing in their own right, but The Sex pistols epitomise punk. Anarchy In The UK and God Save The Queen are probably the best-known and most impressive songs on the album, though the whole album is just incredible, with other tracks such as 'Pretty Vacant', 'Bodies' and 'Passerby'. The only fault I can find with this album is that Sid's bass is hardly heard, and much more could have been done with it. If anyone stole this album, I would find them, beat the living hell out of the bastard, burn their house, and buy a crappy N*Sync CD and force them to listen to it 24/7 for a year straight, with the occaisonal leftovers pushed into their cell. // 10

Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 22, 2005

Sound: The sound is a very in the center, great sound. Steve Jones, Sid Vicious, and Paul Cook obviously put time into this album; if you are very interested in punk rock sounds this will not let you down. Obviously the british punk seen in this era was an era to remember, with the clash and the sex pistols and the distinct sound this album gives off sure deserves a spot in your punk rock CD collection. // 10

Lyrics: John Lyndon (Johnny Rotten) has the grungy, raspy, hyped up tone that tied in perfectly with the sound. The the political-english lyrics are so right for this album. It's deffinetly an album that made me want to get off my butt and write lyrics like that. Johnny after hearing this album is for sure one of my favorite singers. So if you sing/write lyrics in your band, buy this album to get inspiration and motivation on a great punker whos great at both those things. // 10

Overall Impression: It's of course my favorite sex pistol album of all time. Its actually probably one of my favorite albums ever. "Anarchy In The UK" has to be the best song on this CD. If something ever happend to my Nevermind the Bullocks CD I'd have to get another. Even my least favorite song on the CD "Pretty Vacant" is still an incredible, in the center song that makes me want to get up and mosh untill I go completely numb in my neck and my back. It's one of the best punk albums ever. // 10

Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 11, 2005

Sound: Punk, how do I describe punk. It's hardcore, in your face, don't give a s--t what you think about it. The sound is wicked, these London rockers know how it's done, and they do it well. Sounds like the best punk rock album I have ever heard, how is that for sound? // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are so good. Bodies, EMI, God Save The Queen, Anarchy In The UK all have the lyrics I would expect, and want from the Sex Pistols. Debate over Rotten's singing skills can be seen in one review here. Truth is hes not a good 'singer' hes a good punk singer. He's in your face, and to tell you the truth his English Accent ties in perfect with the whole image of 'who are the Sex Pistols.' // 10

Overall Impression: Amazing, buy this album. You can't get anything like this today (2005). This to me is the only punk album I need (other than the Ramones. The Clash just don't do it for me). Sex Pistols are in your face, and I love it. If you're looking for crazy solos and hard-to-play chords then bugger off. You're forgeting what music is really about, the sounds, not the difficulty of it. Buy this album! // 10

Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 22, 2005

Sound: Since they were the 2nd true "punk" band, they're awesome (The Ramones have claim over being the first, and sorta made the genre have pop in it). The Sex Pistols have this in your face attitude. Yes the guitar riffs are simple but if it gets your point across (they got a television ban after wanting to relese "God Save The Queen" as a single and couldnt get a record label to relese it, hence the song "EMI"). Johnny Rotten's voice is annoyed, angry, and sorta emo. My friend hates his voice and I love it. The Sex Pistols is hard for most people to digest because it's still raw, heavily distorted, and super political (I want to say they were nazis, but I'm not sure). // 10

Lyrics: Keep in mind people that these were written in '77. As one of the reviews above mine say that you would have to read a book to know what they stood for and what they were talking about. They are right. Like in "Anarchy For The UK" well the title gives it away. They're tired of the queen and want to get rid of the government. It was bad times and these guys told the truth through rough and raw lyrics and sound. // 10

Overall Impression: The Sex Pistols don't compare to any other band. It's sad that they had that in your face atittude but they were also in eachothers face. They would preform and you wouldnt know if the band was going to explode before getting to the chorus. I love "New York," "EMI" and "Holidays In The Sun." The only annoying thing on this CD is the outro on "Problems" god I hate that it goes on and on and on and on. If my Nevermind The Bollocks CD got stolen I would probably hunt down the person that stole it and kill them. Or go out and get a new copy but I'm fonder of the first idea but I would highly suggest you go out and buy this album (especially if you listen to mainstream "punk" stuff, the most punk thing around today is probably green day) but these guys revolutionized the music scene. If you want to know what real punk is, check these guys out (even though almost everybody is promoting them and dont listen to what they are saying. Listen to the lyrics and remember what kind of times they where going through). // 10

Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols Reviewed by: Boe, on march 12, 2007

Sound: Pure pure power! The Sex Pistols sound as vibrant and peaceful as a nuclear bomb. They sound so crunchy and bitting that it is no wonder that they are considered the definative punk band. Jones's guitatr seemingly spits fire over the speakers as Rotten screams his heart off. The sound is powerful and worked well with the lyrics. It is also impressive considering the circumstances. the single "God save the Queen" was band and the title was not allowed to be displayed at number one! The name itself Nevermind The Bollucks... was sent to trail because peopel debated on the meaning. Considering the circumstances, and the constant change of production companies, wow. // 8

Lyrics: Johnny Rotten is a raeally clever vocalist, and he knows what needs o be said. Songs like "Bodies" which deals with abortion, is pretty original. Obviously "Anarchy in the U.K" holds the scepter as original lyrics. My personal favorite is "God save the Queen", were he sort of bashes the queen, but I found it very enjoyable. Taking the lyrics further he says the queen isnt human. The rest of the album is witty and clever, along with all the punk things. // 9

Overall Impression: The impression is wow. I love the feel, that "your-in-danger-and-you-better-leave-but-your-glued-to-the-song" feel that presides over the whole of the album. The best songs are... the first five, Anarchy, God Save the Queen and Liar. Some metal heads hat punk becase it almost kiled metal, but punk, the Sex Pistols in perticularly, showed that it need to change to survive. This album isnt for everyone. But for the few, you will feel like I do, this is a treasure. // 9

Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols Reviewed by: patbuck2, on february 22, 2011

Sound: What can I say about the Sex Pistols? They sound youthful, angry, angst-ridden, annoyed, fierce, sloppy, and fun. The guitar playing is messy, fast, and simple, as punk rock guitar should be. The bass is practically inaudible. The drums are like gunshots. John Lydon's vocals are snarling, sarcastic, angry, and nasally. They sound like a young punk rock band. What else is there to say about their sound? It is fun to listen to this album and just go wild. That's mostly how I describe this album: fun. It's by no means complex or intelligent music. The musicians lack much real talent and yet it's still worth listening to at least once. Listening it too much can be annoying, I must say. And I did grow tired of the band and this album after a point. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics are not very impressive. Not poetic or deep by any means. They sound the mad ramblings of a pissed off young person, i.e. punk. The vocals aren't necessarily impressive either, just a barrage of shouting. The Sex Pistols don't necessarily excel in vocals or lyrics on this album. At least the passion is there. That's all I can really say about it. // 3

Overall Impression: For some reason, this album stands out as famous and is considered a must listen for anyone who want to get into punk. I would be much more quick to recommend The Clash, The Ramones, The Stooges, and MC5 to anyone who wants to get into punk than I would be to recommend the Sex Pistols. The Sex Pistols are by no means a great band in my opinion. But there are some good tracks on this album. My favorite songs from the album are Holidays in the Sun, God Save the Queen, and the famous Anarchy in the U.K. My favorite aspect of the album is probably the whole attitude and feeling of going wild and being active. The songs are fun to listen to because of their energy. The guitar tracks are laced with phaser, and that adds a nice touch to the overall sound. What I don't like is that they just aren't what I would consider a talented and worth-listening-to band. Some people love punk. I like some punk bands quite a bit, but I think the Sex Pistols aren't really that good even in the aspect of comparing them to other punk bands. Even some punk bands are talented in their own way, but I don't see much talent in this band. All I see is the promotion of an image and attitude, while the music falls short and is pretty bad overall. Again, if you want good punk, my first recommendation is The Clash, an actually talented band in the punk genre. I think too many punk bands are more about the image and not the music, and that is why they may fall short here all too often. // 4

More Sex Pistols reviews rating latest review