Of One Blood Review

9.8
 9.5
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Of One Blood Reviewed by: neuroplay.com, on march 29, 2004

Sound: This whole cd is packed with heavy shredding guitar riffs with crazy solos, plenty of double bass drum, thumping bass lines and wonderful lyrics... I can't even think of the words that can give as much recognition as this band needs. It's one of the greatest, maybe even the greatest, heavy metal album I've heard. This cd has tons of parts to get stuck in your head day after day. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are fantasic. Either he spent forever writing them, or he is the master of lyrics. They're not what I expected when I got the cd. I actually was expecting pure screaming and shredding, but it turned out that half the time he does sing and it sounds great his actual singing skills I can't rate, but he sounds amazing (the lead singer, brian fair). Also, guitarist Matthew Bachand) has a great voice. // 10

Overall Impression: No other Heavy Metal album I've heard even comes close, except for the 2002 Shadows Fall cd (The Art Of Balance). I think the most impressive songs on this album are "Crushing Belial", "Root Bound Apollo", and "To Ashes". I love everything about this album I listen to the whole thing everyday, atleast once!If comeone stole this cd I would definitely buy another! I suggest, if you like heavy metal, to go and buy... or at least listen to some of the songs on this cd. I can't wait til Shadows Fall come out with a new album. // 10

Of One Blood Reviewed by: HardAttack, on january 23, 2006

Sound: Great guitar work and pounding percussions fuel this instant heavy metal classic. I love Shadows Fall and any fan of metal bands with inspired solos and crunching rhythym playing is going to immediately want to run out and buy all of their CD's. This is Shadows Fall's first CD, and it's just as good as their latest release; 'The War Within'. Jon the lead guitarrist uses more of a shred style on this album, and it works very well. Brian's vocals are also a little more rough. Puts a little bit of a different spin on the same band. // 10

Lyrics: I'm used to cheap, tired lyrics from metal bands. This however is an exception. The talented playing of the guitars, bass and drums is accompanied by masterful lyrics and vocals. Brian does a great job for the genre, and everything flows nice and evenly. // 10

Overall Impression: Compare this to other Shadows Fall albums, you will see a similarity (it's the same band). However their 2nd and latest albums are in their own respects, departures from this album. Each one has their own style changes, however noticeable or subtle you feel they are. If it were stolen, I'd be pretty pissed that I'd have to spend another $14, but it would still be worth it for the quality of music you get. Shadows Fall is a great band coming from small-time roots in Mass, so they deserve the money. Each song is great, but I think my favorite song upon the first listen is 'Crushing Belial'. For people who are heavily into the metal scene, get this album first. For people who are somewhat into metal and want something more accessable, get 'The War Within' first, and then get Shadows Fall's other two albums. // 10

More Shadows Fall reviews rating latest review