Our Ill Wills Review

shout out louds: Our Ill Wills
Release Date: Apr 30, 2007
Label: Bud Fox
Genres: Indie Pop, Swedish Pop/Rock
Our Ill Wills is an impressive, depressive album that could scare away all but their hardiest fans in one 48-minute swoop.
 8.9
 8.7
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Our Ill Wills Reviewed by: sweetpeasuzie, on january 17, 2008

Sound: If you enjoyed Shout Out Louds debut album Howl Howl Gaff Gaff from 2005, then you will certainly enjoy their second release Our I'll Wills. Stockholm, Sweden's celebrated rock quintet discovered a formula that works perfectly for them, and they continue on that path even using their producer from their debut record, Bjorn Yttling of the folk-pop trio Peter, Bjorn And John. The tracks have jangly-pop rhythms and melodic-pop textures with bright poppy tones and cheery flutters. The melodic laces and rolls of springy ruffles enliven the tempos of Tonight I Have To Leave It and Imagine. The song South America sprigs an upbeat string arrangement floating over the melodic folds. Band members Adam Olenius (vocals), Ted Malmros (bass), Carl von Arbin (guitar), Eric Edman (drums), and Bebban Stenborg (vocals, keys) makes everything tight while furnishing light stimulations through the melodies like in the infectious tune Parents Living Room. Bebban sings on the tune Blue Headlights featuring soft pop keys and delicate rhythms. Every track is solidly filled. They allow breathing room without making the melodies too sparse, as the songs always stay within the framework of feeling positive. // 9

Lyrics: The song lyrics are personable which adds to their charm and makes them relatable to human feelings and regular everyday lives. In their song Tonight I Have To Leave It Olenius sings, Don't come up to me and say you like it/ It's better if you say you hate it, that's the truth exactly/ When we go out dancing I don't want to be bothered/ I just want to be bothered with real love/ Why don't you give love? / Why don't you give love? / Tonight I have to leave it. The lyrics are simple while also revealing deeper emotions, similarly to their music which appears simple but penetrates deeper into the listener. // 8

Overall Impression: Shout Out Louds straddles the line between synth-pop and alternative rock. The music is very likeable and exudes a positive vibe. The music is melodically complex without using a lot of over-thinking in the chord dynamics or heavy layers on the movements. The songs seem natural and sophisticated in a Belle & Sebastian type of way. There aren't many surprises on this album for fans of the band, but it certainly reinforces Shout Out Louds place in the pop/rock forum. The songs are infectiously catchy and their amicableness is instant, meaning you don't have to be a fan of the Shout Out Louds to like their music. You'll like their music the first time you hear it. // 9

More Shout Out Louds reviews rating latest review