Death To Tyrants Review

7.7
 8.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Death To Tyrants Reviewed by: cemerson2012, on july 25, 2014

Sound: "Death to Tyrants" is the 8th studio release from NYC based hardcore band Sick Of It All. Released in 2006, the album is fairly short in length but for a punk/hardcore album it's not that bad. Fronted by Lou Koller and brother Pete Koller, Sick Of It All has been in the game since 1986 and continues after almost 30 years to deliver fresh tracks time and time again. The album kicks off with a bang in the song "Take the Night Off." Right out of the gate you will notice a few things, first is that the vocals are incredibly clean and masterfully delivered. Second thing I noticed is that the production is very clean and each section is recorded and mixed really well. These two aspects are something I would not expect from a punk/hardcore release; I would expect the recording quality to be lower and to have the vocals mixed with the instruments. Engineer Tue Madsen really did an excellent job with the mix and finishing of the record. Almost instantly, I draw a parallel between this album and Every Time I Die because they sound very similar. Another very strong track on the album is "Forked Tongue" featuring Freddy Cricien of Madball on guest vocals. The additional vocal section makes this song very dynamic sounding against Lou's vocals and the bands backing group vocals. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are pretty standard for punk or hardcore, mean and aggressive. Nothing really earth shattering in this department but it fits the music perfectly. The vocal delivery is where this album really shines. Just about every word is added are some lyrics from "Take the Night Off." See if you can fell the aggression in the political under tones of the lyrics.

"Power. Power
Has always been abused
Work. Debt. Poverty. Taxes
Life's oppressive rules
Power. Power
Just might never change
No answers will come from our bloodthirsty ways."

Luckily, the political tones are not the central idea of the album nor do they steal the spotlight from the music. From "Forked Tongue," the guest vocals during these lines are really awesome.

"The forked tongue. Spitting all it's venom at me
What does it take to wipe away the misery
What does it take. What does it take
The dark ages are upon us again
What does it take. What does it take
The forked tongue must be silenced
Give us freedom from the demons
Demons." // 7

Overall Impression: Overall this is an impressive release from Sick Of It All. Judging this band by its age should be counted as a crime because they laid all pre-conceived, judge an album by its cover ideas to rest within the first 5 seconds of listening. I would suggest "Death to Tyrants" to anyone who is a fan of Every Time I Die or Hatebreed because those bands (more than likely) may have been influenced by Sick Of It All. "Take the Night Off," "The Reason" and "Forked Tongue" are the strongest songs on the album in my opinion. I would not have to even think twice about replacing this album if I lost it. // 8

More Sick Of It All reviews rating latest review