( ) Review

9.7
 9.8
 9.5
( ) Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 11, 2005

Sound: I don't want to explain. The music is bliss. Beautiful, brilliant bliss. The third song almost makes me cry when I hear it. It's divine beauty. This is an album everyone can like, if they are sad or just tired lying down with headphones. There are some ignorant people who listens like 10 seconds to Sigur Ros, then they say something like "there's no real guitar or singer, they suck" but if you lay down and relax and listen to this, it just makes you smile. I love this album. And I listen to thrash metal, prog metal and rock and Sigur Ros, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Explosions In The Sky etc. Just buy it. // 10

Lyrics: The singer is just another instrument. A damn good one that is. His voice is very soothing and mellow to listen to. It brings me to a better state of mind, man. Its that brilliant! Sigur Ros is a band that can express them selfs without words, this is a good thing. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD takes me to what I think you could call f--king nirvana! Buy this CD! Track 1, 3 and 4 are stand-oits for me. But the way you are supposed to listne to this album, is all the way through non-stop. And the guy who said they were from Sweden is as stupid as a a really stupid duck. They're from Iceland). // 10

( ) Reviewed by: TheNothingness, on september 06, 2007

Sound: This album is close at the top of my personal favorites. They carry a very emotional tone which will cause you to love it or hate it. I would think if your taste in music was good, and you were familiar with the band you will love it. This is the bands 4th CD and they took a step in a very experimental direction. A lot of the album is ambient with repetitive riffs and beats, but they are sonances that you wont soon forget after removing your headphones. Jonsi's falsetto singing style acts more as a powerful instrument droning over the music itself than for the sole purpose of getting a message across, which it beautifully does. The use of the bow on the guitar brings an interesting sound which creates the great ambience that this album delivers. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics can only be described in two words; mysteriously beautiful. The singer, Jonsi, is using a language called Volenska (hopelandic) which is basically nonsense words and syllables combined to shadow the Icelandic language. The lyrics are basically jibberish which leaves it completely up to your imagination what he is really trying to say. His falsetto voice gracefully joins into the song with the other instruments. Don't sit there searching up lyrics or translations because you wont find any concrete answers, only what other people think he is trying to say. Listen to the album in it's entirety and then go back and make your own mind up. // 10

Overall Impression: I personally think this is their best peice of work thus far. The songs which grip me the most are untitled 3 and 4. The transition between songs is brilliant and they work well off each other. You may love it or hate it, but I will tell you this is one album that will grip your emotions no matter what genre of music you love, and turn them upside down. // 10

( ) Reviewed by: onlyonehere, on march 05, 2004

Sound: Sigur Ros are a very hard band to define. They certainly don't sound like anything else I've heard. They are musically innovative. The guitarist uses a violin bow on his electric guitar to produce some weird and wonderful sounds unheard of before. I guess if you wanted to tie Sigur Ros down to a genre you could put them in alternative/indie. Overall their sound is amazing. Violins, guitars, sampling, drums, bass, vocals are all used to create an emphatic record that builds up and while it may not be a catchy song, the songs on the album will stick in your mind based on their sheer brilliance. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically I can't really comment. They don't use all English lyrics (they're Swedish if you haven't guessed already) but the English ones used aren't particularly anything new. Lyrics aren't really meant to go with this type of music. Don't let the no lyrics thing put you off. // 6

Overall Impression: Compared to other artists it's different. You cannot compare it to other artists as it's a completely different and new style. I don't have a favourite song from the album. They're all fantastic. It's the perfect chill out album. Stick it on when you want a break from fast paced distorted stuff. Definitely worth buying, if it were stolen or lost I'd have no hesitation in replacing it. Definitely buy it. // 10

( ) Reviewed by: farewell_july, on march 10, 2005

Sound: I learned about Sigur Ros and this CD from a friend that had the same musical interests as me (i.e. Mogwai, Explosions In The Sky, etc). So I borrowed the CD took a quick listen and came to the conclusion that they sucked. It wasn't until I listened to the album in its entirety that I found out that this band was great. Also these group of guys are some of the most talented I have seen in awhile, in example their lead singer/guitarist Jón Þór Birgisson (Jonsi) uses a bow, I have not seen this in quite some time, last and the only time I have ever seen a guitarist use a bow is probably the great Jimmy Page. Also their drummer Orri Pill Dorason not only plays drums he also plays piano and other various instruments. I also liked the fact that on this album Sigur Ros left everything blank. They left the booklet blank the back blank, the songs don't even have titles. So your just left with the music and also left with your own interpretations of what their trying to make you feel or say in their songs. // 10

Lyrics: This is the first time I have ever seen a band do this. On "( )," Sigur Ros used no written language (they usually sing in Icelanic like on "Von"), it's just basically gibberish, purely made up by the singer. Because they think a singer is just another instrument in the band, so why should it be so special? Also the words on this album are almost all the same just mixed up, or extended. // 10

Overall Impression: This album does not compare to any other albums before, Sigur Ros is purely original. I hope to see more bands like Sigur Ros in the future. One of the most impressive songs on this album has got to be track #4 aka "Njósnavélin," this song was featured on the "Vanilla Sky" soundtrack and is one of my favorite songs from Sigur Ros. If this album was lost or stolen I definitely would buy another one in fact I have two. And you should too. // 10

( ) Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2005

Sound: This band is a pure mind f--k. Their sound is like nothing I've heard before. Ths sound of this band is so relaxed and soothing but crazy and trippy all at the same time. Sigur Ros is a band from Iceland, so none of their albums are in English (hell, this one's not even in a real language). But they put out some of the most pure, emotional music ever created. // 10

Lyrics: Like I said, the band doesn't even sing in English. But on this album, the singer just makes up his own language and sings nothing but gibberish. If you listen, it almost sounds like he's making real English words, but he's not. But his singing is so amazing it almost brings tears to my eyes listening to it. // 10

Overall Impression: This album has changed my life. I will never see music the same way again. One of the top tracks is the first one. I say the first one because none of the tracks are named. If your interested in getting something besides that MTV bulls--t, it would be a sin not to get this album. // 10

( ) Reviewed by: Sparknugs, on may 18, 2007

Sound: The sound of this album can only be described in one word, beautiful, that's, in my honest opinion the best way to describe most of Sigur Ros' work. The sound on this album is such a boost from their previous full length album. I personally love what they did with the piano on this album. Using Jonsi's voice solely as an instrument on this album was a touch of sheer genious. // 10

Lyrics: This album basically has no real lyrics. Anything the vocalist is singing is only used as another instrument which worked out completely well. As the previous reviewers have discussed, the words being said are actually a gibberish/hopelandic language which is made-up. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this album is I will never stop listening to it. It is driven with such music talent that anyone who will sit an listen to at least one song on this album no matter which, will want to relive those view moments of bliss they experienced while opening their ears to this band. Please take a listen if you have not, I shit you not you will find something you like about it no matter what genre you like. // 10

More Sigur Ros reviews rating latest review