Shakin' Brains Review

Silver Mountain: Shakin' Brains
Released: Mar, 1983
Genre: Heavy Metal
Label: Roadrunner Records
Silver Mountain is really, really unknown band from Sweden. I haven't heard other albums yet but this is easily most enjoyable album I've heard for ages. I had no problem listening it from beginning to end, no boring parts or anything.
 4.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Shakin' Brains Reviewed by: zannibal, on january 27, 2012

Sound: Silver Mountain is really, really unknown band from Sweden. I myself found the band accidentally when I saw an incredibly stupid video with some Yngwie Malmsteen looking guy killing witch with his guitar. Even though the band is not so well known the members have collaborated with artist like Dio, Ritchie Blackmore and Yngwie Malmsteen. Jens Johansson is also playing keyboards in Stratovarius. But, the band is great. Really great. Singer and guitarist Jonas Hansson is seriously skilled player. Once again I have to mention Yngwie Malmsteen because Jonas' playing is much like Yngwie's. Fast shredding. Album has some really cool classical sounding stuff like on song "Aftermath". Their style is really unique, I really can't find other bands like this except Yngwie. But the cool thing is: this was released before Yngwie's albums. Also riff in song "Vikings" sounds pretty much same as Megadeth's "Poison Was The Cure". And if that's not enough, check out last song - "Keep On Keepin' On". Mother of god. Motter Gottis. The main riff is almost exactly same as Doom Theme song. But no one is perfect and I have to whine about something. The god damn organs. My god. I just hate rock organs and I think it would have worked good enough without them. But other than that, it's really, REALLY good when it comes to music. // 9

Lyrics: Singer, Jonas Hansson, makes this a bit different from other this stylish bands. He doesn't sing that high and doesn't sound like typical singer for this kind of music. And that's a good thing. I like his voice. Lyrics are typical metal lyrics from 80's, with song names like: "1789", "Vikings", "King Of The Sea" and "Necrosexual Killer". Last one sounds a bit gross. // 8

Overall Impression: I haven't heard other albums yet but this is easily most enjoyable album I've heard for ages. I had no problem listening it from beginning to end, no boring parts or anything. There's enough differences between songs and incredibly cool solos and classical stuff keeps you interested. If you're fan of Yngwie Malmsteen, check this out. I'd say this at some parts even better than Malmsteen. This isn't about shredding - they also focused on other parts of songs. Even if you hate Yngwie you may find this album enjoyable. It's really a shame that this band is so underrated. // 10

Comments