Diorama Review

8.8
 8.3
 9.3
Diorama Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 25, 2003

Overall Impression: Diorama from Newcastle band Silverchair now that's you call bloody album. If you're going through a stage in your life were your stuffed from work and you're really depressed GET DIORAMA. Diorama is an album where you get a strange feeling in your body that makes you almost cry of enjoyment. Although Silverchair's 4th album previous years there's a sign in your body the goes "oh year thats a chair song". Out of 100% I think I'd give it 98% in my opinion, its only 2% off the perfect album. // 10

Diorama Reviewed by: guitar_man_jan, on february 01, 2005

Sound: Silverchair have changed! With their earlier albums such as Frogstamp and Freakshow, Silverchair had a nice heavy rock sound, especailly with awesome songs such as "Slave" which I'm sure all Silverchair fans should have heard. But since Daniel Johns (the Silverchair singer) has been cured from a terrible viral infection of arthiritis, the style of Silverchair seems to have changed. The music seems to be happier. And it is, I'll give them that, from what I found out from an interview a couple of years ago. Daniel says ever since he had gotten better, he had been a lot happier and the songs on Diorama were based on this happiness. I was a little disappointed to be honest, and miss the old sound of Silverchair. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are happy! To be honest I found this quite surprising because Silverchair's lyrics were usually not that happy (unless the were, if so, I apoligize). I found the lyrics on this album well-structered, although seem to be better suited to being read out in poem form, not in so-called "rock" form, which I think Silverchair has departed from with this album. But one thing I wasn't disappointed about was the fantastic voice of Daniel Johns. He still has his skill! A fanastic voice, but isn't he singing the wrong stuff? // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, this album was a tame, disapointing instalment from Silverchair. Some great singing skills as usual from Daniel Johns, but I miss the old Silverchair! I hope they come back some time soonand make less disappointing albums like this. // 4

Diorama Reviewed by: DazzaSchwings, on july 04, 2005

Sound: After the release of their third album, Neon Ballroom, Silverchair looked as if it were in tatters. Lead singer Daniel Johns had only just recovered from anorexia when he was diagnosed with a debilitating and aggressive case of Rhumetoid Arthritis, which left him practically crippled and unable to hold a guitar, let alone play it. However, with the help of modern medicine Johns was able to recover and extensively tour for Silverchair's fourth and most complete album to date, Diorama. Diorama boasts Silverchair's biggest and best sound to date, including full orchestral arrangements, tremendously strong vocals from Daniel Johns and, interesting and complex song structures. Those familiar with previous works of the band will recognise heavy rock feel of the albums and the strong grunge influences that helped shape the music. Diorama moves away from those influences in most instances, opting to replace distorted guitars with intricate orchestral arrangements, and gutteral, grungy vocals for impressive and powerful signing. The essence of the new direction of Silverchair is possibly most significantly captured in the song "Across the Night", possibly the best song on the album and singer Daniel Johns' favourite. The song moves through two different sections and finishes with an absolute band, and an impressive display of vocals. Other songs like "The Greatest View", "World Upon Your Shoulders" and "After All These Years" are catchy songs and make for great single releases. The song "One Way Mule" is very heavy and distorted and resembles something of a metal-underground band release. Rather than contrasting nicely to the softer and subtler songs, this song seems to be out of place on Diorama. This song aside, the album is fantastic. The songs are connected and sound great together. The hidden track at the end of the album which just features Daniel Johns playing piano is also an absolute jem. // 10

Lyrics: As could be guessed, most of the songs on Diorama are about overcoming hardships and reflecting on these hardships. The song "After All These Years" is a direct reflection on Johns' battle with anorexia. It completes the picture portrayed by "Ana's Song", a song featured on Neon Ballroom, which is a comment on anorexia when Johns was suffering most from the eating disorder. Unlike previous albums, the songs on Diorama have a definite poetic nature. Johns was always able to convey his message clearly, but never in a poetic fashion. Diorama shows this definite progression in his skills as a songwriter. However, many of these lyrics are very abstract and Johns can sometimes alientate his audience with weird symbolism and metaphors, leaving the audience in two minds as to what he is actually singing about. In many cases though, it wouldn't matter if Johns was singing about cleaning the toilet because his delivery of those lyrics is astonishing. Diorama is possibly one of the best displays of singing on a rock album in recent times. Johns sings with the presence of Bono and the power of "The Three Tenors". Although his lyrics may sometimes complicate things, Johns' singing will always captivate an audience. The lyrics are an overall positive and triumphant experience, which is welcomed warmly. These positive lyrics are far removed from the teenage angst displayed in "Pop Song For Us Rejects" and "Suicidal Dream". // 8

Overall Impression: Diorama is undoubtedly the best Silverchair album to date. Unlike most teenage bands who acheived stardom, Silverchair have continued to progress over the years and have created an album of immense worth. Although Johns' lyrics can sometimes leave the audience slightly confused, the overall delivery is brilliant. However, although Diorama shows an immense development in the band, Silverchair need to let go of their grunge roots. And those so-called fans who are unable to accept this album need to wake up to this fact: Silverchair is never going to change because you do not like them. The band has always been progressing and will continue to progress far into the future. Overall, Diorama is a great album and shows the immense talent of frontman Daniel Johns. Those who do not have a copy should promptly invest in one! // 10

Diorama Reviewed by: feathersmcgraw, on january 08, 2007

Sound: Diorama has showed Silverchair's sound progressing and emerging from it's grunge roots of the 1990s. On this album the original trio lineup is reinforced with backing arrangements from Sydney's Pro Musica Orchestra. This gives the band's tone a much more unique and majestic quality, there is a sense of enormity and celestiality to each of the pieces. For this, however, none of frontman/songwriter Daniel Johns' catchiness has been sacrificed, though Diorama's feel is ultimately "lighter" than that of previous Silverchair albums, it is still footed firmly in the alternative pop/rock category, and longtime fans will be pleased to hear the familiar heavy guitar riffs and beats on tracks such as "One Way Mule" and "The Greatest View". That is another impressive aspect of Silverchair's newfound sound, it's great variety, ranging from the original grunge sound of the aforementioned "One Way Mule" to the beautiful piano finale "After All These Years". The unconventional chords and melodies make Silverchair's style all the more unique and refreshing on the pop/rock scene. // 10

Lyrics: Daniel Johns' matured skills as a lyricist are evident on Diorama. His songs have become much more poetic and thoughtful. However, it must be said that his meaning is often lost on the listeners, a little too metaphorical and airy, and the subjects and themes of the lyrics are not always apparent. Though this can make intent listening a little confusing at times, it certainly does not detriment the powerful atmosphere created by the instruments and Daniel Johns' voice. Daniel Johns is one of the few artists I would listen to due to his vocals alone, and is also one of the few artists who can be recognised due to his vocals alone. It seems that on this album he has found a perfect stylistic match with his music, for though the instruments have been essential to the ethereal atmosphere of Diorama, it would surely be lacking without the sheer power and vitality of Daniel's soaring melodies. // 9

Overall Impression: Though undoubtedly different from previous albums, the stylistic progress has given Silverchair a stronger sense of identity as a band. With this release, they have stepped out of the shadow of bands such as Nirvana, and can now stand on their own two feet. Personal favourites from the album are "Across The Night", "The Greatest View", "Without You" and "After All These Years". Part of Diorama's success lies in it's ability to convey it's powerful and ethereal mood to listeners. Diorama is undoubtedly the most uplifting and impressive album yet to be released by Silverchair, and I'm definitely looking forward to their next release! // 9

Diorama Reviewed by: AwesomeDrummer, on january 05, 2008

Sound: This was the first album of which I'd heard of from Silverchair and from what I'd gathered of the band, I wasn't looking forward to it. Their previous albums (of which I was told) were far more heavier than this album and due to my hatred of heavy music, I didn't hold high hopes for the album. As soon as I placed it in my stereo, my impression changed dramatically and I didn't stop listening to it until the CD had run through. What I found to be in this album, was not heavy metal, but alternative rock, with perhaps even some grunge placed in on some tracks. // 8

Lyrics: Daniel Johns is without a doubt a brilliant singer, with an excellent vocal range, and how he manages to play lead guitar at the same time I will never know. The lyrics go perfectly with the instrumentals of the song which shows John's talent for composing as he was generally the main composer of the album. If I did mark down the lyrics for 'Diorama' it would be due to the fact I hardly understood any of the lyrics on the album. Although I usually got the general message, there were some parts where I was left staring confusedly at my stereo with my brain working overtime to figure out how that goes with the rest of the song. // 7

Overall Impression: As I mentioned earlier, I never expected much from this album and was greatly suprised at hearing it, that I enjoyed it. The standout song of the album is by far 'The Greatest View' which was the first single released from the album. Other songs I highly recommend are 'Without You', 'One Way Mule' and 'World Upon Your Shoulders'. This album goes down in my books as one of my favorites, and holds a rare record of which is that I found each song to be quite enjoyable. // 9

More Silverchair reviews rating latest review
+ Young Modern 8.5 08/09/2007