Neon Ballroom Review

9.9
 9.8
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
Neon Ballroom Reviewed by: Zatts, on april 12, 2004

Sound: The music in this album depicts a more matured, more experienced Silverchair. The guitar riffs are much more thought out than previous albums, and there are some unique drum beats in the mix. Also the sound effects created by Paul Mac add a twist to the music that is unique to this style. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in the songs on Neon Ballroom are the result of the awesome creativity of Daniel Johns. Although they may seem vague, even cryptic at first, they are deep and full of meaning, as Daniel trys to express the hardships he has experienced in his life. // 10

Overall Impression: The third release from Newcastle band Silverchair is without a doubt one of the best things to come out of Australia to date. With styles ranging from the slower, more calming rock of "Black Tangled Heart" to the fast-paced adrenaline rush that is "Spawn Again", it is a display of the diversity held by the band. It is definitely worth buying for any fans of rock worldwide. In my opinion, it is a perfect album. // 10

Neon Ballroom Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2004

Sound: This album, the third from ozzie rockers Silverchair, is a much more mature sound compared to Frogstomp and Freak Show. Grown up guitars and powerful drum beats make for a great listen. They also incorporated a lot of orchestral vibes on this album. // 10

Lyrics: Fantastic lyrics again by Daniel Johns, (Ana's Song) "Ana wrecks your life, like an anorexia life", Quality. Really heart-felt lyrics, something hurt Daniel pretty bad. His voice just gets better with age and I think this band will go the distance. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the most melodic album prior to Diorama. Excellent melodies and a few superb ballads. Standout tracks would be "Emotion Sickness", "Ana's Song", "Miss You Love", and Black Tangled Heart". I just love the emotion and feeling on this record. I'd reccomend this album and their others to anyone who likes grunge, and I would definetly buy it again if I lost it. // 10

Neon Ballroom Reviewed by: Intersting, on september 02, 2006

Sound: Beautiful from the very beginning, it is clear that Silverchair has taken a sharp turn from the direction they were heading in with their two previous albums. Instead of the simple post-grunge crunch that other bands were churning out for full albums (Silverchair, themselves, guilty of this on their previous albums), the album opens with an orchestra accompanyment to the very rock-opera "Emotion Sickness". From then on, the album ranges from mellow acoustic tunes to even darker hard-edge rocky songs. If you want diversity with an album that won't get stale after a few listens, this is it. // 10

Lyrics: Listening to the lyrics no doubt shows that Daniel Johns is a musical genius. A notable concept on this album that would later be implored on Diorama is that a lot of the songs lyrics, don't rhyme at all, proving that you don't need a basic rock song to make good music. Many veiled references are used throughout that include opposition to animal cruelty, Daniel's struggles with Anorexia and many more. // 10

Overall Impression: Although highly underrated, this is by far my favorite Silverchair CD and ranks among my Top 5 albums of all time. Emotion Sicknessis an excellent way to start out the album, fading right into the pounding Anthem For the Year 2000. I highly recommend this album to anyone interested in rock music. // 10

More Silverchair reviews rating latest review
+ Diorama 8.8 01/05/2008