Young Modern Review

silverchair: Young Modern
Release Date: Apr 3, 2007
Label: EMI
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Aussie Rock
Now five years after their classic 'Diorama', the extraordinary trio return with their fifth album 'Young Modern'.
 8.5
 8.4
 8.5
Young Modern Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 14, 2007

Sound: Many people thought Silverchair had broken up after Diorama with Daniel, Chris and Ben all doing their own thing however they have returned after a well deserved four year break and sound just as good if not better. The sound on this album is a step up from diorama Silverchair's last album I guess the best way to describe it would be Diorama on weed if that helps. The album has a much happier feel then anything 'chair have done in the past the guitar isn't as powerful in this album it's still there but there's loads more stuff going on in the background as well as some synth on the guitar. // 9

Lyrics: My impression of the lyrics is that daniel has chosen to write very out there lyrics and very different lyrics to what is going on right now for those who thought the lyrics in diorama were out there wait till you here the lyrics in this album. My favourite lyric comes from the first song on the album 'young modern' daniel sings 'the band is back together' that lyric pretty much sums up the album. Daniel's voice has matured a lot in this album and sounds amazing it's pretty uplifting the way he sings in this album. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this album is my second favourite of the five albums the band have made (Diorama being the first). The two things that get too me bout this album is that one there aren't enough rock songs they seem to be more chilled songs with an up beat edge (if that makes sense) and two their much more pop then anything they have done before. Apart from that this is a great album it's it were stole or got lost I would need not buy it again as 'Sanity' messed up my pre-order of the album and so I got two copies should that go lost I'd go and buy it again right away. // 9

Young Modern Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 09, 2007

Sound: From an Australian rock group who have sold more than 6 million records worldwide, have spawned at least one top 3 single from each of their albums, and have had each of their albums achieve the top spot on the Australian charts, the pressure imposed on the New South Wales group whilst creating Young Modern was unspeakably immense. Having broke into the music scene at the young age of 14, Silverchair's debut album, Frogstomp, reached the number one position in the Australian charts within a mere three weeks. From then on Silverchair were propelled into rock stardom recording another three hit albums before their latest effort, Young Modern, which broke two records upon its release: making Silverchair the first band ever to have an album chart at number one on iTunes through pre-orders before the album's release, and making Silverchair the first Australian band ever to receive five number one albums. Young Modern sees the band take a more experimental turn whilst still maintaining their classic Silverchair rock sound. Opening track Young Modern Station is a straight up rock song which can only be described as Silverchair at their best. Following on from the strong start of the album the first single Straight Lines sees a catchy, radio friendly piano driven ballad which is guaranteed to stay stuck in your head, much like a piece of chewing gum caught in some poor sod's hair. Silverchair do well to keep interest with songs like If You Keep Losing Sleep which sees the band make use of jazzy orchestral arrangements, funky bass lines, and thumping drumming. The song is definitely one of the best off the album, with a catchy chorus and interesting instrumentals which can only be described as James Bond with a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory twist. // 8

Lyrics: With such interesting backing tracks, it is sometimes hard to pry yourself away from the instrumentals in order to catch the lyrical side of the album. But this is not to say that the lyrics themselves aren't interesting and meaningful. Mind Reader, an up tempo track with lyrics such as Still it seems funny; Stickin' like honey; Wrote my own article; Now I'm hummin'; She takes pictures through my lazy eyes; And I'm dreamin' girl it's your money gives an entertaining take on the frustration of knowing what your girl wants. Aside from the amusing lyrics, Daniel Johns proves he is able to write meaningful lyrics as well. On closing track All Across The World he sings, All across the world; There are things we need to forget and forgive; Sometimes we have to try and she'd the damage we don't need; Oh justice shake your head; I'm wasting my time, touching upon the problems of today. // 8

Overall Impression: Full of jazzy twists and funky bass lines, Young Modern is like no other record the band has ever done. A fun album to listen to, the fifth effort from the Australian chart topping group succeeds in maintaining interest throughout most of the album although, like any other record these days, fillers like Waiting All Day treat you to a slice of boredom. Although a fine listen, it is easy to see why some fans of Silverchair may not agree with such an experimental and different album. The orchestral arrangements are thoroughly enjoyable to listen to, although after a while they may seem a bit over-the-top and trying. For a band with rocking hits such as Freak and Anthem for the Year 2000, this album does seem a little less -rocky and a little more- cheesy at points. Apart from this, even if the album does isolate some old fans, on the whole it is the type of record that would appeal to a wider audience. // 8

More Silverchair reviews rating latest review
+ Diorama 8.8 01/05/2008