18 Candles: The Early Years Review

silverstein: 18 Candles: The Early Years
Release Date: May 30, 2006
Label: Victory
Genres: Post-Hardcore, Punk Revival, Emo
For latecoming fans of screamo kingpins Silverstein, this disc will be a welcome surprise.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.6
 8.5
 8.7
18 Candles: The Early Years Reviewed by: mAFIa1039, on june 08, 2006

Sound: Silvertstein. So much to say about this band. To me they redefined punk, heavy, screamo, and what ever else they could go into. That right there is very impressive. Their sound is intense. They go from playing some heavy stuff to playing a softer melody back to heavy. They defintely stand out from other bands now a days where all the singers sound like girls. This is one of the bands where I can just here the instuments playing and know its them unlike these other bands where I have to wait to hear their girly voices (not all but a lot). Now I just got hooked on these guys a few months ago (so I don't know much about them except their names and that they are from Canada) and it has been basically non stop with them. I'd put it down (regretfully) to listen to a new CD I bought or burned but would end up listening to them again. The only other band that could withstand this playing was green day. I have been listening to them for years and I still love it (except american idiot; got to popular for my liking). Now, I was introduced to Silverstein when I was watching Fuse and the next day I was asking all my friends if they had any of their cds and I found one. I got their first two and thought it was amazing. I had heard of them before this and asked for it for Christmas but they were out. The guy working their apprently asked my dad for help cause my dad could't find hawthornes new one (which is pretty good but not as good as the first one) and the guy said that if I liked hawthorne I would love Silverstein even more. And what do you know, I do. I still have to say Hawthorne is awesome though cause they are from my neck of the woods, good ol' dayton. But Silvertstein is defintely a lot better. // 8

Lyrics: My overall impressions on their lyrics in 18 Candles: The Early Years is unbelievable. My favorite song by far is "Bleeds No More". This song I can't help scream and sing to, my heart bleeds no more! On 18 Candles they have this song on their 2 times with one being live which features lead singer Will from Aiden. This CD is not so much of their new stuff but older stuff. It features 18 tracks ranging from 2 of their independent EPs, 2 acoustic tracks, 3 live songs and a remix version of Smile In Your Sleep (techno). They wanted to re-release these old recordings for the fans that have been trying to get them so they decided to package it with some bonus material, which was sweet. I think there was only about 3 songs I hadn't heard before. So this CD is kind of like a greatest hits. The two acoutic songs (Call It Karma and My Heroine) are great acoustics. Man add big time right there back to their lyrics. I'm not one to judge the lyrics a whole lot. That is the bands/singers personal feelings. I think they are pretty dang good though. And I love how his voice fits right into the music. When the music is heavy so is his voice and when it is not so heavy he goes to singing. He's is a pretty good singer. He can go from a kinda high voice to a heavy scream. Another thing about this band is that they have the perfect balance of singing and screaming. To many bands go either way but not right in the middle. Hawthorne, Aiden, From First To Last are some other bands that are close but no cigar. If your not one to sing along with music I'm pretty sure you'll find yourself singing. I don't like singing cause my voice sucks but I always find my self whispering it or if I'm alone singing out loud. // 7

Overall Impression: 18 Candles: The Early Years compares to their other albums which is obvious because most of the songs are on their other CDs. To other artits though they can't be compared. They defintely stick out from all other bands out there today. They seem to be one of a kind. If I had to compare them though I would say they were a mix of Green Day, Hawthorne, and Atreyu. The most impressive songs are the live ones (Defend You, Discovering The Waterfront, and Bleeds No More). I really wish I could of seen them play with hawthorne heights. Stupid football game. They just sound so intense. They really loved to get the crowd going from what I could tell on the CD. My friends that got to go to the concert were in awe when they got back. I definitely would go seem them in a heart break. And what surprised me was they sounded really good. The back up vocals could use a little working on in live but if I was in a band I would be in that posistion with my voice. Also if you play an instrument this is a pretty good band to learn some of their songs. I love playing Red light Pledge, which is on the CD, as well as discovering the water front. They only thing I dont like about this cd is that I wish their was more songs. I know I know they have 18 on it but they could of put more great songs on the CD. O well still loved everything about this CD. Now if this cd was stolen or broken or lost I would go insane. I would right then and there go out and re buy the CD. This really is a band that I enjoy listening to and will never be one of the cds I have that is just used as a dust collector (like the starting line) Of my favorite bands I think they peak a 2 or 3. Green Day is still number one in my heart (only the older stuff) and AIF is up there but I think Silverstein got number 2. Overall if you wanted to get acquainted with this band buy 18 Candles: The Early Years. It gets you acquainted with them real quick like. Any of their CDs by the way go good as a present to a loved one or what ever. So go out buy the cd, brun it, or download it. Great CDand I give it a big ol' 10. This CD also is a good pump up band for those who need to be pumped up. I use it all the time for my sporting events. Makes me want to go and kick some ass. // 8

18 Candles: The Early Years Reviewed by: SkateNDestroy39, on september 18, 2006

Sound: The first song I heard by this band was "Smashed Into Pieces," which I liked maybe the first three times I heard it. I didn't really like this band based on my opinion of that one song. But, one day, me and my friend Ben were hangin out in his car and he put in this CD. Dude, as soon as I heard "Waiting Four Years" I was hooked. I was suprised when he told me this was Silverstein. I love the clean guitar parts on this CD. They're fun to play and sound awesome. They used to be awesome back in the day. They actually remind me of early Thursday. Even more specific, they remind me of the song "Ian Curtis" by Thursday. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are alright I guess. A lot of them, actually maybe all of them are about relationships which is OK. Better than singing about politics or other stuff I don't care about. The singer's voice sounds kinda sketchy on the first 6 tracks but that's alright. I actually prefer that over all the bands that transform the way they're voices sound on a computer. I also think it makes the music a little more interesting to listen to. That probably makes me sound half-retarded but I'm kinda tired of all these guys that make they're voices sound good and then sound horrible live. I don't really like the screaming on "Bleeds No More." Don't get me wrong. I love screaming. It's just that these guys scream wierd. At least that's my opinion. I'll just give it an 8. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the first CD I've bought by this band so I can't really compare it to anything else except Smashed Into Pieces which was aweful. The first six tracks can only be described as amazing in my opinion. The guitar parts are so awesome. But, the whole CD is good. If I lost this CD I would definitely buy it again. // 10

More Silverstein reviews rating latest review
+ This Is How The Wind Shifts 7.9 02/20/2013