Discovering The Waterfront Review

Released: Aug 16, 2005
Label: Victory
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk Revival, Emo
Equally importantly, they deliver their beautiful melodies and tight, rich harmonies with just as much muscle as they do their more abrasive moments.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.7
 9.6
 9.7
Discovering The Waterfront Reviewed by: McRfan201Xx, on october 03, 2005

Sound: Silverstein is personally one of my favorite albums. Haling from Ontario, Canada this band has gone from a local bar band to a headlining act. Silverstein is now gaining much more popularity with their new album which was released in august, "Discovering The Waterfront." I bought this album on its release date and have not stopped listening to it yet. I've attempted to learn all of the guitar to most of the songs and have the lyrics down by heart. This album is truely amazing. I found the sound quality on this album a bit better than the quality on "When Broken's Easily Fixed." Every strum of the bass guitar, both electric guitars, drums and vocals can be heard very clearly and easily. "Discovering The Waterfront" is the name of the album and one of the tracks on the disc. The name itself expresses the main concept of the album. This album is a bit more dynamic than the last album. There's everyhing from slow easy listening, to emo and to hardcore. I think all together it sounds better than anything else Silverstein's done so far. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album in my point of view are the best lyrics I've heard from any band in some time. They are easy to relate to for teens and they express a strong message. Lead singer Shane Told sings about broken love, revenge and does a very good job at it. Told is one of the most talented vocalist I've heard in years. Told is a great screamer and provides a very intese side to Silverstein's songs. Not only is he an outstanding screamer, he has an overall excellent singing voice. His voice fits all of Silverstein's varieties of songs perfectly. 01. Your Sword Vs My Dagger - this song is the perfect song off the album to be track #1. It starts off very fast paced and is very intese. This song is very powerful and can get one very pumped. 02. Smile In Your Sleep - this is the 1st single off the album. I like it so much because it begins slow and relaxing and picks up when it reaches the chorus. This is definetly one of the best songs and this song has a very cool video as well. The video is based on the game "Clue." 03. The Ides Of March - this song is very powerful and it has a very nice slow intro. It is a very dynamic song. It picks up later in the song and has the hard feel to it. 04. Fist Wrapped In Blood - this is one of my favorites. It has a metal kickoff and then bounces back to the sweet hardcore\emo feel of Silverstein. I really like the lyrics to this one too. 05. Discovering The Waterfront - this is perhaps one of the band's slowest\easiest songs but by far one of the best. I like the way it was constructed; this is a great song for anyone. Even if your not into hardcore music or Silverstein I don't think you could turn this one down. 06. Defend You - this is probably the hardest song off the album. It's almost all hard and metal the whole way through. This shows why Silverstein is such a great band. As I explained the previous track is slow and easy and this song is nearly a metal track. This shows how Silvestein can attract such a diverse audience. 07. My Heroine - this song is about getting depressed and falling under the control of drugs because of a girl. This song has a different feel from most of Silvesteins songs but I like it. It's something different and cool. 08. Always And Never - I like the name of this song. It reminds me of something off the old album. I like it, its fast paced and sounds great. 09. Already Dead - is my favorie song off the album. I just absolutely love it. In my eyes it is the best Silverstein song yet. The lyrics are rather harshe (they sing of killing your girlfriend) but it has a great intese feel and is an excellent track. 10. Three Hours Back - this song has a soft intro that sounds anything but Silverstein. Then the intro kicks in the 2nd time with distortion and it sounds great. This song isn't as hard as some of the content on this album. It has a good emo feel and is also one of the best. 11. Call It Carma - this song has a different feel too. I like this one a lot though. I really like the sound of the vocals in this song. There is also a neat guitar solo almost two minutes into the song. This is a great song to wrap up the album. // 10

Overall Impression: I loved "When Broken's Easily Fixed" but I think "Discovering The Waterfront" was a huge improvement and I like the album much more. It's so hard to choose the most impressive songs because I like them all but I'd have to say "Already Dead" and "Smile In Your Sleep" are my two favorites. There is not one thing I could say I dislike about this album. It is all around an awesome album that I recommend to anyone who likes emo, hardcore or screamo style music. This album also comes with a bonus DVD that contains live footage, music videos and clips from Silverstein's practice sessions. This album hands down is a must have. // 10

Discovering The Waterfront Reviewed by: GuitarGod01, on february 10, 2006

Sound: Amazaing! Simply amazing! A truly incredible album. The sound has improved 100% since their last album, When Broken Is Easily Fixed. Silverstein never ceases to amaze me, and their newer album is one to go down in history. Discovering the Waterfront picks up where their previous album left off, with the same emo style but new ingenuity. If you are a lover of new music that follow under the catagories of: emo, harcore, metal, ect. than this is a must-have album! // 10

Lyrics: Their lyrics remain typically the same with all the songs about false love, and killing those who betray you, ect. However, they do not get old, surprisingly. In fact they are all really catchy and soon enough you'll find yourself singing along word-for-word (that is if you can understand the screaming parts, which isn't hard). The lyrics fit the songs perfectly and deserve a 10/10. // 10

Overall Impression: I cannot describe how much this album has impressed me. If you don't have it, go out, buy it, listen to it, and then, only then will you understand where I am coming from. This album is virtually flawless in my eyes, and if it was stolen from me I would go buy it again in a heartbeat. Every musician who appreciates music in general needs this album in their collection! // 10

Discovering The Waterfront Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 23, 2005

Sound: Sound is very good, they are very diverse, anyone can pick them up and like, well almost anyone. But they range from really hard, to soft songs. Lots of screaming, really good screaming too. Almost none of the songs sound the same. The singer is really good, he can actually sing, the musicisians are amazing! Powerful guitar, great drums, you can really notice the drums on this CD, without the drums I think this would not hold together at all. // 10

Lyrics: Like I said earlier the singer can acually sing, and he screams for the band also, but this band has put the right amount of singing/screaming where needed. No mindless screams here and there, the screams are put in place where they really mean something. // 10

Overall Impression: This album I think is incomparable, when asked who do they sound like I never have an answer. When it come to puting out good CDs Silverstein can do it, the raised the bar with their first, so they had great expectations to meet, and they sure did raise it even higher, I think this album is as good if not better then their last. The most impressive songs are, Your Sword Versus My Dagger, Smile In Your Sleep, The Ides Of March, Defend You, Always And Never, and Fist Wrapped In Blood. If this were lost or stolen I would definatly replace it, no doubt! // 10

Discovering The Waterfront Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 24, 2005

Sound: I first discovered Silverstein on Pure Volume as so I have discovered so many bands. At first their songs just came across as another emo/screamo band, but after listening to a couple of different songs I developed an infatuation with the amazing vocal tones of singer Shane Told. Not many singers can pull off both singing and screaming and do it so well. If he could not scream if would still be a good singer and vice versa. After getting hooked the infectious sounds of Silverstein I got stoked and purchased the CD about 3 days after release. I must say at first I found it repetive and reminiscent of their first effort, but after a couple sittings I realized how fabulous this disc really is. It's emo with an edge with songs ranging from smooth and soft to hard and rigid. Definitely an amazing album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are just amazing. When Shane screams he doesn't just produce a GRRARG! sound, he actually combines the melodic tones of the singing with the screaming and the lyrics intertwine very well. The lyrics and the music go together flawlessy and he is just one great singer. // 10

Overall Impression: It definitely has that X factor that set's Silverstein away from the crowd. The most impressive songs are Smile In Your Sleep, Your Sword Versus My Dagger & Ides Of March. I want every music lover to pick this disc up regardless of your age, style or anything else. This is just a great CD. I wouldn't buy it if I lost it for one reason though, I have my whole CD collection stored on my computer because I upload every CD I own and only listen to a burned copy just in case I do happen to lose or have my CDs stolen. If that was not a consideration I would deffinitely buy another copy though! // 10

Discovering The Waterfront Reviewed by: trivial, on march 06, 2006

Sound: This band rocks (in my opinion). To me it sounds like a heavier version of Hawthorne Hieghts. Heavy guitars and vocals mixed with some vocal harmonies. When you listen to it you can feel the energy in the CD it makes you want to start moshing in the bedrooom (of course I haven't done that). Realesed in 2005 it's pretty new fresh stuff. They will be really big soon enough. // 9

Lyrics: Cool slightly emo lyrics, but well written and at least they make sense. Not much relationship with guitar and vocals, both seem to do their own thing. Shane has a good voice, he does the screamy and normal singing. // 9

Overall Impression: This is more devoloped than their debut album. More interesting guitar parts and vocals. I recomend listening to 'Smile In Your Sleep', 'My Heroine' or 'Call It Karma'. My fav. things about this album is you can either concentrate on it or it is just background music. it works well in both circumstances. The worst thing about it is. I haven't found anything yet. // 9

Discovering The Waterfront Reviewed by: fret13, on august 07, 2006

Sound: Silversteins name comes from the childrens autor Silverstein. I don't know which band member came up with the name but I think it was Shane. This is my second favorite CD of all time. This CD is unpredictable it starts out with Your Sword Versus My Dagger which has a very fast pace but leads on into a more hard emo Ides Of March. that also takes a turn into the hardcore Fist Wrapped In Blood. Then the most surprising change on the album, from a metalish song to a more emo Discovering the Waterfront. I first came across Silverstein on Fuse. They had a preview of their video Smile In Your Sleep and I thought they sounded awwesome but it was by chance that when I bought a copy of Hawthorne Heights The Silence In Black And White I got a Victory Records Music Sampler and the first track was Smashed Into Pieces off of Silversteins album, that I don't have the pleasure of owning, When Broken Is Easily Fixed. that song made me a Silverstein fan and I listened to it over and over again and I still do. I picked up this album durring vacation last year, I was going to buy When Broken Is Easily Fixed but I saw this and I didn't stop listening to it. this is a masterpiece. The guitars have random solos that never stop impressing me both guitarists are talented. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have a variety of meanings they are also unpredictable and they give me a good impression of the band. The music kind of just flows through and doesnt't stop. Shane Told has some of the most talented singing and screaming skills and can manuever through them with ease. Bill Hamilton is also a very acceptional bassist and BGV. // 10

Overall Impression: The only thing better than Silverstein is Red but if they keep this up they might just come out on top of my top ten bands list. My favorite songs off of the album are Your Sword Versus My Dagger and Discovering The Waterfront. None of the songs are boring or bad if I had to pick my least favorite it would be My Heroine. // 10

Discovering The Waterfront Reviewed by: screamokid, on september 25, 2006

Sound: I am in love with Silverstein. They are my favorite band and have been for the last year and a half. Discovering the Waterfront is there best release so far in there career. It combines emo, hardcore, screamo, and punk-rock into an amazing form. The reissue of this CD comes with one new track. They covered the song Rodeo Clown by Lifetime. I think they did a real good job. They made it sound like them, instead of trying to immitate that band. The CD also came with a DVD with there set on The Never Sleep Again Tour in the House of Blues in Chicago. Where they tore it apart. And durring the last song of the set, wIL from Aiden came and sang the last part of the song with Shane. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics for Silverstein are amazing. They sing about stuff teens can actually relate to. The vocalist, Shane, not only has a great scream, but he can sing very well also. Other bands are trying to immitate it and they can't. He is an amzing vocalist. The backup vocal is done by the bass player Bill. He sounds just as good as Shane and can scream but not as well. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this album. I've had it since it came out last year and I couldnt wait for the release. It is great I would pick it up. The only thing that sucks about it is that they only put one new track on it. It's a good cover but more is always better. The DVD has amazing footage and the songs preformed on it are Your Sword Vs My Dagger, Smashed Into Pieces, Fist Wrapped in Blood, Giving Up, Discovering the Waterfront, Defend You, Smile in Your Sleep, and Bleeds No More with wIL from aiden. It also has music videos and the making of smile in your sleep. The only complaint on the DVD is the guitar in Smile In Your Sleep is too quiet. But that's minor. Pick up this CD. // 9

Discovering The Waterfront Reviewed by: fret13, on december 04, 2006

Sound: Silverstein is one of the bands that I give a lot of respect to, mainly because Shane Told (lead vocals) who writes the songs, knows exactly what he's doing instead of doing a more popular fill-in-the-words or change-the-subject approach to songs, like most punk bands have been doing lately. I'm writing this review on the extended version of the CD with the bonus track "Rodeo Clown" origionally written and performed by Lifetime. Silverstein has been around since 2000 and have been giving their label of Idie a run for it's money by creating songs for everyone that anyone can relate to. After tabbing their entire album for bass I found that the bass line is not just the second guitar over again, most of the time at least, and has it's own style and groove in every song. Shane Told is an amazing vocalist both in singing and screaming. I'm not one for too much screaming but he puts in just the right amount and it's not that girly shriak that most punk bands have been proclaiming as a scream, it's a nice hard scream, that holds a lot of emotion and force. What really impresses me about his vocalling skills is that he can manuever between his scream and voice with ease and has a nice clean sound. Billy Hamilton (bass guitar) is a fair BGV but isn't as good a vocalist a s Shane. He is very relaxed with his bass though, after watching the DVD that comes with the extended version of the CD. Putting in some bass solos hear and there, escpecially "Your Sword Versus My Dagger" and "Three Hours Back". Neil Boshart (lead guitar) has an amazing nack of being able to come up with a catchy guitar riff that is just as cool as it is to play. He is amazing at the fretboard but not quite a legend, actually not even close but still a good guitarist. Josh Bradford (back guitar) has his own nack for guitar and is not bad himself, and can play a simple solo to back Neil up to make it sound cool like in "The Ides Of March". Paul Koehler (drums) is crazy in a good way. everytime I mention playing Silverstein music with my band, my drummer tries to say no because Paul has a very fast drum beat that is hard to follow but very catchy. Paul and Bill are also Straightedge and the rest of the band is drug-free and smoke free but have a few drinks here and there. // 8

Lyrics: On this part of the review, I will give you my impression of the song and what Shane has to say about the meaning of the song in the booklet that comes with the CD. 01. Your Sword Versus My Dagger - great way to open up the CD with a nice guitar riff, fast tempo, and bass solo in the middle, it's like a very good sanwhich. Lots of screaming but it goes with the song so all in all great song. 02. Shane's Story - a lot of the lyrics I (Shane) write are very graphic and talk about physical pain and action. These lyrics are almost always metaphrical for internal feelings and emotional actions not actual violence. This song is not actually about cutting someone. It's not about daggers or swords at all. This song is about how so many relationships have trust issues and how so many times relationships end because of misunderstandings. There is a lot of temptation and even though most people don't act on it, you still have to trust the other person not to either. Some people cannot trust other people because they've been hurt before or they are just the type of people that thrive on drama and strife. Oftentimes people are so sure they are being decieved that they end up acting on these things to get even with the other person. I get asked a lot about the line 'Verona Live Inside of You.' Verona is the setting of 'Romeo and Juliet' which is a tradgic play written by William Shakesspeare. 03. Smile In Your Sleep - first single off the CD and they really ge tcreative with the tapping run in the verse and bridge. Great chorus and if you've seen the video, I have my suspisions about the butler. Shane's story: "This song was written after having one of the most vivid, disturbing dreams of my life. We were on tour in the UK and because of the traveling and jet lag, when we arived I slept for 16 hours straight. After waking up totally disoriented and not even remembering I was in the UK; I thought this dream was real for a few minutes. This song is pretty self-explanitory and is about someone thinking thathis significant other is being unfaithful leading him to go crazy. This is one of the few songs where I actually refer to violence in the line 'I dream of steel, maroon and war your end.' This still is subtler than some of the songs where the violence is metaphorical." 04. The Ides Of March - this is surprisingly a very good song musically with the three guitars in the middle part and the minimal screaming, the cool bass line, but some of the lyrics I just can't relate to but htey stay to the subject. 05. Shane's Story - "is the day Julius Caesar was assassinated, betrayed by his own people and his son. This song is about a person coming back as a ghost to torment the person who betrayed him. This song was actually written on March 15th, 2005 after reading a news story about it being The Ides of March and remembering the story of Julius Caesar. This song is not to come off at suicidal at all, and I hesitate to even mention this, but some of the lyrics suggest it. It was written about a siuation I had where a girl I was involved with was not stable. I have never been suicidal. I have never thought about suicide at all. I have never cut myself or have never done anything like that. Those actions are not normal and if you are having problems, there are people you can talk to." 06. Fist Wrapped In Blood - this is all metaphorical but still very graphic. Very intense guitars and screaming, very very heavy. Not my favorite but it's ok. Shane's story: "These lyrics are overly graphic and violent, but again these are describing feelings of emotional pain in terms of actual forms of torture. The line, 'Torturing me, words form your own lips, 'sums that up.' When I'm choking on words you'll never say,' describes the difficulty of being in a one-sided relationship with someone who doesn't feel the same way you do. The tital, which comes from the movie, 'Closer' describes how a heart looks like a fist wrpped in blood and is just an organ. It has nothing to do with feelings and love. It's meant to describe someone as heartless." 07. Discovering The Waterfront - I personally think that this is one of the best songs on the album if not hte best. I love this song in all it's perspectives, lyrics, guitar, bass, everything. Shane's story: "This song is the title track and ties with the cover art and concept of the album artwork as a whole. The person on the front cover is torn between 2 situations. One is staying in the burning city behind him, a place he knows to be bad, and the other is to venture out into the water to a place that falls off into the unknown. This happens in many situations in life; weather it's a dead end job, a bad relationship, or a bad living situation, people need to realize that sometimes it's better to go into the unknown than stay in a place where they are unhappy and not progressing. This song is about getting through that and realize that things will not change by themselves. People need to make initiative in their own lives to be happy and successful." 08. Defend You - brilliant guitars and the syrics are good too, but in my opinion there is justa little too much screaming, but sometimes you need songs like this. Shane's story: "Defend You is written about the one friend everyone has who has changed for the worse. I have seen it 100 times This friend used to be great to be around and everyone loved them, but now they have jsut lost their way. Being an old friend, you try to help them, but it's almost impossible to get them back on the right track. A lot of people think this song fits in the least sith the concept of the record, but it actually ties in very strongly. A lot of times when your friends change, they affect you, as well. Sometimes this can be for the better, but often it drags you down into a place you don't want to be. You need to stay strong and be yourself. Sometimes you need to leave people that were your friends behind. It's not easy but sometimes it's necessary." 09. My Heroine - Silverstein has jsut recently come out with a new video for this song and I think that this song is pretty good because it has a double meaning of someone being torn apart by drugs or being in a relationship with someone you can't get enough of but know that you shouldn't have them. Shane's story: "I get a lot of questions bout the lyrics of this song. First of all, it's not about drugs. It's about a situation I'd been in where I was with someone and I couldn't move on even though I knew I was better off leaving her behind. I likened the relationship to a drug addiction, where even though you know it's terrinble for you, you can't get away from it. when I say in the song 'Your my heroine' it means that I'm almost evious that the person can have such a hold on me. It's a double meaning of the word 'Heroine' a female hero and 'Heroin' the highly destructive drug." 10. Always And Never - the intro is one of the most impressive arrangements on the album but I find that some of the lyrics are cheesy but most of them are outstanding. Shane's story: "This was the last song we wrote and recorded and was probibly hte hardest to figure out for both vocals and lyrics. Interestingly, a lot of people say this song is their favorite. Neil came up with the chorus melody, 'I'll take it back to the streets...' and some of the lyrics too. I took the meaning of that and wrote the lyrics about something a friend of mine was going through at the time. He was in a relationship that ended disasterously and I told him I knew from the very beginning it was going to happen. When I explained to him why, he told me about all the bad signs there were from the beginning, but how he managed to put them aside even though he knew deep down that htis person was bad news. This was really interesting to me, but it happens all the time in all types of situations. This song has a very dark side, but it is supposed to be a song about redemption and hope, not darkness. Please don; t take these lyrics in a darksense. There is hope and hurting yourself is not the answers to your problems." 11. Already Dead - at first I thought that this song was about killing the person you care about most but now I reallize that that is not the meaning of the song at all. Infact this is a fairly decent song but I feel that it kind of drags. Shane's story: "This song was written in the middle of read ing the novel 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold. It's an amazing book and I encourage everyone to read it. I was about 3/4 of the way through the book when I went on a trip to Paris to visit some familly I have there. I forgot to bring the book and I was so into it I couldn't stop thinking about it. I started writing some lyrics and wrote this song. If you read the book it is interesting because the ending of the book didn't turn out the way I thought it would. So some of the lyrics are kind of the opposite of what happens in the book." 12. Three Hours Back - this is one of my favorite songs on the album because of the great guitar solos and bass solo, oulstanding lyrics and the controlled screaming. Shane's story: "This was written during a 7-week tour we did when I was extremely burnt out and tired of being on the road and had come down with pnemonia. Sometimes your on tour, a week can feel like a month, escpecially when you're sick like I was. You start to get homesick, and almost go crazy to the point you start questioning the things you love. This song is purely written on how I felt that one day on the tour." 13. Call It Karma - I'm getting sleepy from typing so much so late so sorry if it gets sloppy from here. Any who, Call It Karma really stands out from the rest of the songs because it changes half way through the song and has a lot of joy in it. Shane's story: "This is probibly my favorite song on the record. This song is another double meaning. although less obvious than 'My Heroine'. The song in the forefront is about getting away form a bad relationship in your life that is hard to walk away from because of the comfort or the time. However, it's also talking about the band, and how at times I wonder weather all the trouble to go on tour, being away from your loved ones is worth it. Listen to the song and listen to it with both subjects in mind. I think you'll find that the meaning of the lyrics really jumps out at you. The title of the song came from a place in Costa Mesa, CA (the city where we recorded our album) called Native Foods, which has a bunch of sayings in all of the parking spaces. Walking by one day I saw "Call It Karma" and decided to call the song that. I think it fits perfectly. The last words of the song are very hopeful, and impotant ot understand that this record ends off on a message of positivity. No matter what happens, you need to accept it, and learn from it." 14. Rodeo Clown - this song is the bonus track on the the exteded version of the CD so some of you may not have this song. It was origionally writtena nd performed my th e band Lifetime and I think that the guitars are fair but all in all I think that it's jsut a very active version of "Wish I could Forget You" from "When Broken Is Easily Fixed" not he best song. Shane's story: "This is a cover song of one of our favorite bands called Lifetime. This song is off the 'Hello Bastards' album, which came out in 1995, and is noe of the most influential hardcore/punk albums of all time. Without this band, pretty much none of the bands in our genre would exsist. I strongly encourage you to pick up Hello Bastards, as well as 1997's 'Jersey's Best Dancers'. Both of these records changed my life. also, Lifetime recently got back together, so check out their new record and go see them on tour." All notes about lyrics written by Shane Told. // 8

Overall Impression: This is and amazing album and Silverstein is a very hard working band and one of the few screamo bnds I can still listen too (after I started to not like Underaoth) but it's worth buying agian after seeing as though I've practically bought it twice. The first itme was the origional version and now I bought this one. Also check out my tabs for the album, I'm working on the guitar for the albuma and my bass one is out their so thanks. // 10

More Silverstein reviews rating latest review
+ This Is How The Wind Shifts 7.9 02/20/2013